Crossing the River

Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe

We stood on top of a rock cliff, a cracking river was seen below. "We need to cross, now!" I decided immediately. "Don't beavers make dams?" Luxi asked. "Not that fast, dear," Beaver replied. I dragged Luxi downhill. "Come on!" I told them.

"Wait, we could just think about this for a minute!" Sena argued. "We don't have a minute!" I glared at her. "I was trying to be realistic," she flinched. "No, you're trying to be smart! As usual," I fired, continued walking down the hill. Sena stomped her left foot. A howl was heard. She grunted and followed us. We reached the bottom, I took one step on the frozen river, it started to crack.

"Wait. Maybe I should go first," Beaver suggested. "Maybe you should," I stepped back. So much for protecting their kings and queens.

He stepped on the ice, checking in the cracks. "You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver suddenly spat out. "Well, you never know what meal's gonna be your last, especially when you're cooking," he fired. One by one, we followed to cross the river. Luxi held on to me the whole time. "If Professor knew what we were doing--" Sena protested. "HE'S NOT HERE!" I fired at her. Luxi looked up, widening her eyes.

"Oh no!" she shouted. We looked up, some wolves were running on the edges of the cliff. We quickened our pace, two wolves came down and confronted us. The leader snarled at Beaver. We turned around, other wolves surrounded us. Beaver growled back, the other one bit his back.

"No!" Mrs. Beaver stared in horror. "Kris ge!" Luxi told me. I quickly pulled out the sword and pushed the others back, pointing it to the leader, Maugrim. The wolf just calmly walked forward to me.

"Put that down, boy. Someone could get hurt," he teased. "Don't worry about me! Rain it through him!" Beaver told me, pinned down. "Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you," he offered. Tao?

"Stop, Kris! Maybe we should listen to him!" Sena told me, Maugrim chuckled. "Smart girl," he teased. "Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Beaver told me. "Come on, this isn't your war. All my queen wants is for you to take your family and go," Maugrim told me.

"Look, just because some man in a red coat gave you a sword, doesn't mean that you're a hero! Just drop it!" Sena shouted. I glared at her. "No, Wu Fan! Narnia needs you! Get him while you still have a chance!" Beaver urged.

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever, and neither will the river," he told me. Luxi turned her head. "GEGE!" she shouted. We turned, the ice made big cracks on the frozen waterfall. God, what to do!?

"Hold on to me!" I told them. I stabbed my sword on the ice. The ice cracked for good, sending us flowing on the river. I grabbed onto the sword, the girls held on to me. The beavers dragged us to the shore. We panted heavily. Just then, I realized Luxi was gone.

"What have you done!?" Sena fired at me, seeing Luxi's coat. "Mei mei! Luxi!" she called. Our heartbeats doubled.

"Has anyone seen my coat?" a voice asked. We turned and saw Luxi walking towards us, shivering in coldness. We chuckled and embraced her. "Don't you worry, dear. Your brother's got you well looked after," Beaver reassured her. His wife turned around. "And I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore!" she said. We turned and smiled. We walked into the forest, we noticed that some flowers were blooming. Winter was starting to change into spring. We took a moment to dry ourselves, hung our coats on a tree.

- - -

[on the other side...]

Tao's POV:

The Witch, his dwarf, and I stood on the side of the river, staring at it. The Witch looked worried. "It's so warm out," the dwarf said. The Witch glared at her. "I-I'll go and check the sleigh," he told him, running off. I smirked.

"Your Majesty!" a deep voice said. We turned, wolves were walking towards us. One of them was holding a fox in his mouth. "We found the traitor. He was gathering enemies in the Shuddering Woods," he said, throwing the fox on the ground. I gasped.

"Ah. Nice for you to join in. You were so helpful to my wolves last night. Perhaps you can help me now," the Witch said, approaching him. He gave an apologetic expression on us. "Forgive me, Your Majesty," he apologized. The Witch rolled her eyes. "Oh, don't waste my time with flattery!" she told him. The fox glared at her. "Not to seem rude, but I wasn't actually talking to you," he said, looking at me. I widened my eyes.

Me? 'Your Majesty'?

The Witch glared at me, twisted her wand, then pointed it to the fox. "Where are the humans headed?" she asked. He didn't answer. He just moved back a little. The Witch raised her wand, I stopped her again and stood in front of her.

"Wait! Don't! The Beavers said something about the Stone Table, and that Aslan had an army there," I told her. She smirked. I turned to the fox, he sighed and looked down. "An army? Thank you, Tao. I'm glad this creature... had to see some honesty," she said. I furrowed my eyebrows.

"... before he died," she finished and her wand touched the fox. Before the fox could react, he turned into a stone statue. I gasped. "No!" I stared in horror. She turned, glared, and slapped me. I winced in pain. She held my mouth.

"Think of which side you're on, Tao. Mine," she turned my head to the fox, "or theirs?" she asked. She let go, I looked down.

"Go on. Gather the faithful," she ordered the wolves. "If it's a war Aslan wants..." she turned a flying butterfly into stone, "it's a war he shall get."