i.

The Beautiful Curse

 

i.


 

 For as long as I can remember, guys have looked at me and been revolted, or pointed and laughed when they saw me. But mostly, they don't see me at all... But that's no surprise. Because, I'm ugly afterall.

 


 

 I'm Bang Eunkyung - Your typical college student. Actually, I'm not that of a typical college student, since you would probably think that this kind of face is so rare in a country called Korea. The girl hung her head low as she kept on walking through the rowdy corridor packed of noisy students. Eunkyung kept a straight but sweaty face as she passed by the others. Okay, so let me describe myself... My attitude? It's nothing much to rant about. I'm just the typical, shy girl since I'm ugly and I only have a drop of self-confidence in me. And by ugly, I mean the glasses girl with pitch-black hair, knee-length skirt and the one brainiac who excels in her studies? Yep. That's me. I'm sorry for having a cute name but being so ugly. And I'm sorry for being a young school girl yet so ugly.

 

 Eunkyung was just minding her own business when she bumped unto a person. She lifted her head up, ajusted her glass and saw that it was Bang Yongguk. He was just one of those popular students in the whole university and a member of "B.A.P" - A flower boy group in the school. And unfortunately, he was also Eunkyung's brother...  One day, you'll probably ask of which side of the family I inherited this face with. He got away her in digust, pretending that they never met and they never were related. Yep, Eunkyung was negated even by her own brother. He was surrounded by a crowd of people who wore horrified faces when they just realized that their "king" bumped unto the little peasant. Yongguk had the looks, yes, but his attitude made him stand out the most. He had a gummy character, but his rebellious and cool attitude made him popular. The "bad boy" attitude are famous in most of the girl's dictionary these days. Let's just not talk about his grades and how he's doing with academics...

 

 "Ah, this is the worst! I just touched the poision mushroom." Yongguk complained and wiped off the part where Eunkyung hit him. She glanced at him over her back. She couldn't believe that even her brother would deny her own existence. Usually, in situations like these, you only have your family members to support you. But no! It wasn't the fairy tale Eunkyung had read about in her childhood days. The reality she lived in wasn't a fairy tale. It wasn't fiction at all. "Poision Mushroom" is my nickname. Eunkyung hung her head low once more as she left the scene. "I'm infected with spores!" Yongguk gagged, and everyone laughed along. Eunkyung shook her head in disappointed with her own brother. In this world, appearance is everything...

 


 

 Eunkyung sat on her seat which was at the very back row of the class. She dropped her bag, sat on her chair, placed her elbow on the table and rested her chin on her palm. Usually, she would study her lessons before the first subject starts, daily routine of hers. But today, she felt like she didn't need any of them. She just wanted to cool off and let time pass, then she would study. Eunkyung didn't know why she had that feeling. Laziness had never even crossed her mind, but she felt like she wanted some time alone for herself. She blanky stared at the window beside her; she watched how the sun beautifully lit up everything. She was the only exception, that is.  She kept on staring into space, not noticing that the teacher had already entered, along with some shadow trailing him from behind.

 

"Okay class, quiet!" Their teacher, Mrs. Lee tamed the students as soon as she found them rowdy as ever. It was the usual scenery everyday for her, nothing peculiar. "I have an announcement to make." She coughed. Everyone darted their eyes at the young man standing beside her, except for one head and that is Eunkyung. They knew what's up as soon as they saw him... Especially the girls. "I know it's kind of late, but this man over here just transferred today." She pointed at him as she nodded, signalling that it was fine for him to speak. "I'm Jung Daehyun, nice to meet you." He made a 60 degree bow with a poker face plastered on him. Truthfully, he was quite the handsome man, with plump lips and wonderful eyes, who wouldn't fall for him? With one look, anyone would completely fall for him in an instant, swear!

 

 As soon as he finished his introduction, a lot of girls squealed and screamed to the top of their lungs. They found those few words very charming already. He kept a straight face, he seemed like he was used to it. "Well then, Jung Daehyun, you could sit right next to - " The teacher was cut off when Daehyun immediately let himself find a seat for his own. Unfortunately, the only spot available was beside Eunkyung at the left and he had no choice to just seat on there. You probably know the reason why no one chose that seat, though.

 

 While Eunkyung was busy day dreaming, she felt like, for a moment, there was some kind of existence near her. She glanced at her left and saw Daehyun already seated there and found herself falling into deep darkness for there were a lot of glares darting her very soul. It was more intimidating than the usual glares she would receive anytime she meets eyes with anyone. Finally! A decent seatmateEunkyung rejoiced in her mind as she exhaled and prepared herself for a wonderful greeting and a handshake. Daehyun noticed this, "For starters, I'm not interested for your name and a handshake, so don't even dare." He blurted out loud without even glancing at Eunkyung, still keeping a straight face. Okay, not so decent at all. He shamed her in front of the class, which was a very frequent happening. Eunkyung flustered as she received a lot of piercing  and hurtful laughs. 

 

 I know that... Eunkyung put down her hand and slumped on her seat. She averted her eyes from the whole world and frowned; she bit her lips to make her stop from tearing and kept her head down low. You don't have to remind me. I was just being kind. And I knew better of not doing it in the first place, pabo. She placed her head on her arms and not listened at the teacher's lectures or anything not worth hearing for.

 

 Morning classes was a total disaster. Well, it was everyday in Eunkyung's life.

 


 

 Lunch arrived, and that meant that it was time for Eunkyung's daily strolls. Instead of eating, she would just always roam around the school and observe her surroundings. She oftenly did this to the point that she had memorized the whole schoolAtleast I have friends... And one of them is the school's janitor. She sighed as she kept on walking, hands squeezing her skirt so tightly. OhEunkyung's eyes spotted someone. Those people over there are the group called "B.A.P". She eyed them as they kept on walking towards the cafeteria. That over there is Jongup and Zelo. She stared at two freshmen boys, one short and one so tall, he was even taller then Yongguk himself. That over there is Youngjae, he's part of the Student Council. Eunkyung stared at another man with average height and wonderful cheekbones.

 

 That's my brother, Yongguk. Unbelievable, right? Eunkyung eyed the last two. That handsome one over there is Himchan, and that girl over there is his sister, Hana. She's the muse of the group... She paused walking for a while and gazed at the girl - She was tall, with raven hair which reached until her elbows. She had rosy cheeks, dark black orbs and red lips. Her eyelashes were curled naturally and her stature and her every moments were poised and graceful. She was a very refined girl, known for her looks and above average grades. Overall, she excelled in everything, that was why she was called the "Blossom" of the whole school. 

 

 Ugh, what am I doing? I look like a stalker. She shook her head and turned around, with her head hung low once more. Eunkyung took one last glance at Hana who was enjoying her time with the boys. Her eyes squinted, she was longing for that spot for so long and her beauty, too. She frowned, "Heh. That would never happened." She separated herself from the whole world and headed for the back of the building. Yep, that was the place where she would spend her time for her own. The only place where she felt like she belonged - Her own world.

 


 

 Eunkyung crouched in front of the seedbed. Wha...! They've grown. She beamed as she took the watering can and filled it up with water. Eunkyung was taking care of these flowers since the third day of school - At that time, she was bullied. The guys had dugged up a pit and covered it up, and without her noticing, she suddenly fell from it. It took a while before she had gotten out of the pit. She stayed there for a while and didn't attend classes because she was dirty and all, then she would get laughed at, again. That was the time when she decided to plant some flowers there on the seedbed then took care of them for God-knows how long. The hole was really deep, and my glasses broke, too. 

 

 She watered the flowers she just grew. They were like her children, since they were the only ones she had. They were so precious, it felt like they were the only living creatures that understood her. Sne smiled at the thought that she had successfully grown pretty flowers. Atleast you're all pretty... Unlike your caretaker. She giggled. I'm glad you all grew so wonderful... Well, you're all flowers. Who can't blame you. She stopped watering them, placed the watering can on the ground beside her and gazed at them as they danced along the breeze. "Flower... Hana..." She mumbled, "Hana-ssi...? I wish I was her." Eunkyung made circles on the ground and sighed, her smile turned upside down.

 

 "Could you stop mumbling to yourself?"

 

 Eunkyung turned around and saw Jung Daehyun hiding under the window pane. Her eyes rounded and gaped wide open, "Ah... G-Gyah!!!" She screamed in surprise.

 

 "Shh!" Daehyun grabbed Eunkyung by the arm and covered , "Could you just keep quiet for a moment, could you?!" He asked, a bit irritated. 

 

 "Whwat awe ywou duing?" She asked as she struggled out of Daehyun's hand. "I told you to shut up! ...Ah!" He let go of Eunkyung and hid her behind his back, "Get down." He ordered as he took glances at the window. Eunkyung was shocked at Daehyun's back stature. Just his back itself was so wonderful... And it was only the back! Eunkyung tinted, it was the first time he was so close with a guy, well, except for his brother, that is. The scene was so flowery, like one of those scenes in a shoujo manga. She found it surprising when Daehyun leaned back, making them even more closer. Eunkyung's face was only a centimeter apart! His dark brown hair touched Eunkyung's nose. He smells nice... Even though she sounded like a ert at that time, she didn't care. Nothing mattered, it was like she was floating in space. She was being carried away by fluffy little white clouds on the sky.

 

 The nape of his neck... Is cute. She stared at Daehyun's nape. Even though she didn't know why she was attracted so much, it wasn't wrong to admire someone to this extent, right? There's no fine for a dull girl like her to love or like, right? Or atleast, that's what she thought. "Jung Daehyun-ssi! We need you! Where are you?! Aish..." The sound of Himchan's voice ran across the whole corridor as he passed by the window where the two were hiding. "Whew, at last that's done." He got away from Eunkyung. Because of that, she finally got back to her senses and got sad because Daehyun was leaving. "Just to point it out to you, I don't like talking to people." He returned back to his stern and cold self, "Especially to your species..." He chuckled. Even though Daehyun was teasing her, Eunkyung's heart was so fluttery at that moment that she didn't know what to do. "I know that... I'm ugly afterall." She mumbled, trying to hide her face because she was all red. Ah... Of course I should've known, I'm so stupid. I... Of all people should've known that no one, ever, would talk to me. Why? It's not like I'm grateful for this ugly face. She was nearly tearing up.

 

 There's no way anybody would come love someone as ugly as me. It's not fair...

 

 But Daehyun misunderstood this - He thought that Eunkyung was gonna cry from what he just said, that why she hid her head!

 

 He just didn't know that Eunkyung wasn't listening at all! Respect.

 

 "Oi... Uh, I didn't mean that." He scratched the back of his neck with an apologetic look. Despite his cold attitude, he had a good side, too! "...Ugly is a poor excuse. Rather than comlaining, you should try harder at making youself beautiful." Daehyun put his elbow on his knee and and grinned at Eunkyung who lifted her head with glimmering eyes because of his encouraging words. "If you're suffering, you should quit being the girl all the guys mess around with and become the girl they all yearn for." He stood up and wiped his clothes while Eunkyung was rotted on her spot, speechless. "Well, you can do as you please, but..." He tucked his both hands in his pockets and closed his eyes as he walked.

 

 "Change... I want to change." Eunkyung shouted, making Daehyun turn around, "Oh...?" He smirked and raised an eyebrow. 

 

 Eunkyung nodded as Daehyun turned around and made his back face the girl. "You know... You're not so bad after all." Eunkyung grinned, that one sentence made Daehyun turn around once more and blink. "And there I thought you don't like talking to people." 

 

 He smiled, the smile he had at that time was so angelic and pure, "I do..." He turned around and waved a hand at her. 

 


 

 Eunkyung fell to the floor as Yongguk threw a plate at her, it clattered as it met the ground. "What the hell is this? Let's hear it, Eunkyung." His eyes furrowed. My brother is Bang Yongguk, when you look from afar, we don't seem like the typical brother-sister thing. Well since first, we don't look so much alike. Like so-so. And second, we have a terrible relationship. No, not a love-hate relationship, more like a hate-hate relationship. To put it short, we always arugue and we dislike each other. Or atleast he only dislikes me... 

 

 "It's french toast, oppa." Eunkyung mumbled. She was sure that there was a nerve visible on Yongguk's forehead as soon as she said that one statement. "No, no, no!" He demanded, "Who the hell told you this was french toast?! Whatever way you look at it, this is just plain toast! French toast is made with French bread, kapeesh?!" He scolded  the younger, who silently nodded her head. "Can't you get anything right!?" He shook his head as he massaged his temples to calm himself. "I-I'm sorry oppa... I'll make it again straight away - " Eunkyung was cut off when Yongguk opened his mouth wider than the last time to argue, "Nevermind it now! I had intended to study but you've totally messed up my schedule!" Since when have you started studying? Eunkyung snorted in her mind. 

 

 "Dinner will be precisely at 8pm so get cooking!"

 

 "Yes!" 

 

 "And don't forget to record the 10pm showing of my favorite show!"

 

 "Yes!" 

 

 "I can't hear you!

 

 "Yes sir!" Eunkyung shouted to the top of her hoarse voice. The time she raised her head, she flinched at Yongguk's piercing glare. It was striking her deep in her soul, like all those stares that mocks her everyday in school. Though Yongguk was her own brother, he was no different. He was the same with all those other people around Eunkyung who judged her so easily. Who wouldn't? "To make matters worse, I have to see your ugly face everyday. It's depressing. It's already more than I can bear. And don't ever call me "oppa", it irks the hell out of me." He pointed out. Those few words made a great impact on Eunkyung, especially when she heared it from her own brother. The one person whom she could depend on. But no, the reality she lived in wasn't paradise. It hurt. It pierced right into her heart, the heart that was now broken into pieces. If actions could kill, words could do worse.

 

 My parents moved to Busan so they could take care of my grandmother who had a bad leg. And my brother and I were left to live in this house together. Eunkyung jumped on her bed, "I don't care. I won't do it." She pouted as she left all the chores Yongguk left her undone. From a young age, my brother had been a tyrant. And as soon as our parents went away, the beast was really let loose... "I'm used to all those scoldings, anyway." Eunkyung mumbled as she redied herself to bed. But it can't be helped, I'm ugly afterall. As soon as she closed her eyes, she remembered all those words that Daehyun said. Remembering it made her blush and squeeze onto the thick comforter. Her heart was beating so fast and it would always make a tight squeeze whenever she Daehyun would pop up in her head. Is this... Love? 

 

 "You never know when love might come along. We girls have to be prepared." She once heard that line on a TV show. "Bwahaha!!!" Eunkyung laughed so hard to herself. Does that person even know what he's saying?! Me, fall in love?! She wiped some tears off her eyes and held her aching stomach to stop herself from laughing even more. For me to fall in love is... Utterly laughable.I think the Prince must have fallen in love with Cinderella because she was so beautiful.

 

 It was dark in that hole I fell into, and I could see my whole life in perspective. 

 

 Eunkyung closed her eyes let lead herself into deep sleep. 

 

 I wish I was beautiful...

 


 

 The next day when I woke up, I was in a really unfamiliar room and bed. It was so peculiar that I didn't even recognize myself, well, at least if the body I'm really in was actually mine in the first place...