The Twenty Second Song

About Us

Before: A day after Joong Ki and Ji Hyo kissed, Jong Kook asked Ji Hyo to come with him to his hometown for his eomma's birthday (because he had not told his mom that he had broken up with Ji Hyo). then due to series of events, on the way to Jong Kook's hometown, spartace found a perfect moment for a kiss

 


 

 

The urge to come closer was unavoidable. It was like gravity, and surely they couldn’t handle gravity.

Their lips met.

Their worlds collide.

Then a sentence came across Jong Kook’s mind,“I’m still in love with you oppa, but I feel something for Joong Ki too”. It was the least thing he wanted to hear at the moment. He tasted Ji Hyo’s lips on his, but he couldn’t stop thinking about the the fact that those lips had been on Joong Ki’s too. Ji Hyo was no longer his.

Yes, their worlds collide, but instead of coming together, they fell apart.

What was supposed to happen did not happen. The kiss was supposed to be pure, beyond reasons and beyond common sense. The kiss was supposed to be something sacred and… beautiful. But it wasn’t beautiful. It was different from the kisses they had shared in the past. It was not pure.

“Ji Hyo-ya, this is not right. It doesn’t feel right.” Jong kook slowly pulled away from her.

“Huh?” The kiss was fine for Ji Hyo. In fact, it was great for her. The kiss was comfortable and familiar, but it also felt like the first time somehow.

“Your lips… are not mine to kiss.”

“Huh?” She asked again, not sure of what she heard.

“I can’t do this. Let’s go back to Seoul.” Jong Kook grabbed the steering wheel, ready to start the engine.

“Oppa, explain to me first!” She placed her hand on top of Jong Kook’s, stopping him from driving.

“I can’t do this, Ji Hyo-yah. I can’t kiss your lips while thinking about you and Joong Ki.”

“But you know I love you.”

“Then look me in the eyes and tell me that you have no feeling for him.”

Ji Hyo was taken aback by Jong Kook’s words. She didn’t know that he worried so much about that thing.

“I don’t have any feelings for him” She looked straight into Jong Kook’s eyes as surely as she could. She knew that nothing could go wrong now. For a second she thought she saw Jong Kook’s smile, but she was wrong. He didn’t smile. He was disappointed.

“You blinked.” Sadly he avoided Ji Hyo’s eyes.

“What? I blinked?”

There was no response from the man. He was in his own world, his gloomy world that he created himself.

“So what if I blinked oppa? It doesn’t show anything. I’m not lying!”

“I’m calling my eomma. We’re going back to Seoul.” The coldness in his voice was obvious.

Words can be savior. Words can be beautiful and comforting. But that night, words were knife stabbed straight into their hearts. So they chose to be quiet, as quiet as possible. The rainy afternoon slowly turned into a sunny one, and silently they arrived in Seoul.

Back to square one.

 

 


 

 

 

When Ji Hyo woke up, it was 7 p.m. Jong Kook had dropped her off in front of her place and she had quickly drowned into a deep sleep. The first thing that she thought about when she woke up was that they had a great kiss. But then the memory started to fill her mind with the unwanted conversations they shared. She hated the day. She wished she had not accepted his request to come with him in the first place.

Then she realized she was still wearing her earphones. She played some songs before she slept and it turned out that the music was still playing. She reached for her phone, wanting to stop the music, when suddenly the song changed. The 22nd song on her playlist started to play. It was Jong Kook’s song. She remembered every part of it. She loved every part of it, especially his voice. But she hated the fact that the song was somehow true.

Men are all like that, I wouldn’t be any different
I valued you at first but then I flew away
Men are all like that, I wouldn’t be any special
I had all of your heart but then I flew away
Men are all like that

She paused the song right after the first chorus was over. It hurt too much to hear the lyric and to relate to it.

“He’s right. Men are all like that. And he’s no different.” She thought to herself as she sat on her bed.

In a time like that, there’s only one person that she wanted to call. He used to be her best friend, a long forgotten one. But now that he appeared in her life again, there’s no point on holding back. It didn’t take too long for her to dial his number.

After a few seconds of waiting, came a low soft voice from the phone.

Hearing the voice made Ji Hyo’s heart beat faster. There was something wrong with her. She was supposed to feel normal hearing the voice. But this time she felt comfortable in an unusual way that she couldn’t explain.

“Yeoboseyo? Noona are you there?”

Ji Hyo was still not answering. It was strange, but she didn’t understand herself. She didn’t understand why she called him in the first place. Why him? Why not Kwang Soo or Gary?

“Noona?”

She tried to pull herself together before finally answered him.

“Hello Joong Ki-ya. Sorry I was distracted.”

“It’s okay. Umm, did something happen?”

 “How do you know?!” Ji Hyo thought her dongsaeng was talking about the thing happened between her and Jong Kook.

 “Umm, I actually don’t know. I’m just assuming something happened because you call me noona.”

 “Ooh I see.” She laughed at her own stupidity.

 “So, what happened?”

 She sighed before answering. “Something…”

 “What thing?”

 “A thing...” She reluctantly answered.

So, to be honest, Ji Hyo did not know why she called Joong Ki, so she technically had nothing to say to him. She just assumed that he could make her feel better.

“I guess you’re calling me not to talk about what happened, hahha.” Joong Ki chuckled lightly, making everything more complicated with his decent voice. He had the kind of voice that can make any girl fall for him only by hearing him talk.

“Sorry, I just don’t know what to say.”

“It’s fine, really. Well, actually, I’m glad you call me.”

“Why?” Ji Hyo asked curiously.

"Cause it means that you believe I can make you feel better. ..”

 

 


 

P.s. I'm sorry I didn't update it for like months. I lost my momentum I guess. Anyway, please forgive me for this short and boring chapter. It takes time for me to adapt to fic writing again.