The World

Dragon Age: Origins - Open

Thedas

Thedas is a continent in the southern Hemisphere. It is presumed that there are other continents, as the Qunari do not originally come from Thedas but from an unknown land across the Northern Ocean.

Countries: Antiva, Ferelden, Kal-Sharok, Nevarra, Orlais, Orzammar, Par Vollen, Rivain, Seheron, Tevinter Imperium, The Anderfels, The Free Marches

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ferelden

Ferelden is a kingdom in southeastern Thedas. It was ruled by Orlais a century ago, when Kim Lee Soo Man ruled, but was freed through the efforts of King Lee Min-ho. Min-ho's son, King Lee Junho, is now the current ruler of Ferelden.

Ferelden is a land of many different environments. In the west, there is the cold Frostback Mountains. To the far south, there is the dangerous Korcari Wilds. To the southeast is the Brecilian Forest, where the Dalish elves can be found. To the north of the Korcari Wilds lie the Southern Hills and the Hinterlands. In the central region of Ferelden lies Lake Calenhad and The Bannorn. In the far northern region are The Coastlands, which alone consist of swamps and forests.

Cities: Alamar, Amaranthine, Dales End, Denerim, Gwaren, Haven, Highever, Honnleath, Lothering, Redcliffe, South Reach, West Hill, Harper's Ford

Regions: Amaranthine (Blackmarsh, Dragonbone Wastes, Knotwood Hills, Wending Woods), Bann Loren's Lands, Blightlands, Brandel's Reach, Brecilian Forest, Dragon's Peak, Frostback Mountains (Gherlen's Pass, Sulcher's Pass), The Hinterlands, Korcari Wilds (Ostagar), Lake Calenhad, Soldier's Peak, Southron Hills

 

History

The Elves

Before the ages were named and numbered, the elves were glorious and eternal and never-changing. Like the great oak tree, they were constant in their traditions, strong in their roots, and ever-reaching for the sky. Life was endless, and they worshipped their gods for months at a time. In those ages, they called all the land Elvhenan, which in the old language means "Place of our People." And at the center of the world stood the great city of Arlathan, a place of knowledge and debate, where the best of the ancient elves would go to trade knowledge, greet old friends, and settle disputes that had gone on for millennia. 

The humans first came from the north, and with them, they brought war and disease. The elves fouind themselves susceptible to human disease, and with that, they found themselves dying of natural cause. Clans and tribes gave way to a mighty empire, Tevinter, which came upon Elvhenan to conquer it. They breached the great city of Amaranthine, and the elves, fearing disease and the loss of their immortality the humans would bring, chose to surrender rather than fight. The elves were rounded up as slaves and were taken from their ancestral home to serve the Tevinter, making them mortal.

For centuries, the elves lived as slaves for the Tevinter Empire, until the great prophet Andraste came. Her rebellion against the Tevinter was brief but successful, but her death did not end the war for the elves. The elves won their freedom and the southern reaches of land known as the Dales. There, they began to rebuild all that was lost; their crafts, their magic, their culture. Much was lost after centuries of slavery, but they persevered and returned to worshipping their old gods. 

This worshipping of the ancient gods angered the human Chantry, and the humans wanted to convert the elves to worship the Maker, but the Dalish would not submit. In protest, a small band of elves attacked a nearby human village, and this prompted the Chantry to attack, and with their supperior numbers, conquered the Dales. Their worship of the Ancient gods were now forbidden, but the elves were allowed to live amongst the humans as second-class citizens to worship the Maker in a walled-off part of the cities, known as the Elven Alienage. Those that refused to worship the Maker were turned away from the cities and were forced to live in the wilds to wander the lands forever. 

 

Mages

In Thedas, magic is a natural physical phenomenon such as gravity or magnetism. Some people are born with the ability to interact, control, and shape it. The Tevinter Imperium had mage genealogies of all families that would produce children with magical talent. The Tevinter was eventually ruled by mages, the Magisters.

Magic originates from the Fade, the realm where Spirits dwell and humans and elves visit when they dream. As such, using it can draw the attention of the beings on the other side of the Veil which separates the living and the dead, and this lead to an increased risk of demonic possession if they're not vigilant enough. A possessed mage becomes a distortion of their former self, a twisted monster known as an Abomination with enough power to wipe away entire villages off the map. There are also darker sides of magic, such as Blood Magic, a school taught by demons, and has a long history of corruption, human sacrifice, and greed.

As magic was the source of power for the Tevinter Imperium, it was forbidden by the Chantry when the rebellion was over. Blood Magic was completely forbidden, and those who were gifted with the gift of magic were confined. The Circle of Magi was established to regulate the use of magic throughout Thedas, and the mages are taken from their families while still children. Templars were formed by the Chantry to catch and sometimes, kill, mages who refused to join the Circle, and these mages outside of the Circle were known as Apostates. 

 

The Chantry

The Chantry is the dominant religious organization in Thedas. It is based on the Chant of Light, a series of teachings written by Andraste, a prophet of the Maker, and was founded by the first emperor of Orlais. The Chantry's goal is to spread the Chant of Light to all four corners of the world, and that includes non-humans as well. They believe that once everybody accept the Chant and practice its teachings, the Maker will return to the world and return it to its supposedly former glory. 

 

Classes

Warrior

Warriors are the front-line fighters; the backbone of any party under melee assault. They rely on melee and ranged weapons and are supplemented by powerful special abilities that draw from deep reserves of stamina. Warriors have access to all weapon talents which are categorized by weapon style (Dual Weaponry, Archery, Weapon and Shield, Two-Handed).

Specializations: Berserker, Champion, Reaver, Guardian, Spirit Warrior

Berserker - The first berserkers were dwarves. They would sacrifice finesse for a dark rage that increased their strength and resilience. Eventually, dwarves taught these skills to others, and now berserkers can be found amongst all races.

Champion - The champion is a veteran warrior and a confident leader in battle. Possessing skills at arms impressive enough to inspire allies, the champion can intimidaate and demoralize foes. These are the heroes you find commanding an army or plunging headlong into danger, somehow making it look easy.

Reaver - Demonic spirits teach more than blood magic. Reavers terrorize their enemies, feast upon the souls of their slain opponents to heal their own flesh, and can unleash a blood frenzy that makes them more powerful as they come nearer to their own deaths.

Guardian - Many warriors foolishly believe that they can control the tide of a battle on their own, but a guardian realizes that an ally's survival is as important as an enemy's death. Guardians prefer to protect party members directly, but if necessary, they are prepared to make personal sacrifices to ensure that their companions live.

 

Mage

A mage is able to interact with the forces of magic, using different elemental powers. Dwarves are unable to become mages as they are unable to connect with the Fade and therefore are unable to control the forces of magic. Mages focus on spells in order to deliver damage and debilitate their enemies, as well as support and heal their allies. Mages usestaffs as weapons and these deal ranged damage and never misses the target, but they cannot deal critical damage.

Specializations: Arcane Warrior, Blood Mage, Shapeshifter, Spirit Healer, Battlemage

Arcane Warrior - Among the ancient elves, there were mages who trained their magical arts to augment their martial prowess. They channeled magical power through their weapons and bodies, becoming terrors on the battlefield. Most consider these skills lost forever, but they may still linger in forgotten corners of the world.

Blood Mage - Every mage can feel the dark lure of blood magic. Originally learned from demons, these dark rites tap into the power of the blood, converting life into mana and giving the mage command over the minds of others. Such power comes with a price, though; a blood mage must sacrifice his/her own health, or the health of allies, to fuel these abilities.

Shapeshifter - Rumors speak of barbarians that hold secrets of transforming the body into the form of animals. The Circle of Magi denies such rumors, but this rare art survives in the forgotten corners of Thedas. Mastery of their bodies allows shapeshifters some protection, even in human form, making them durable opponents and staunch allies.

Spirit Healer - Not all entities of the Fade are demonic. Many are benevolent entities consisting of life energy, which can be called upon to mend flesh and heal disease. Spirit healers focus on channeling the enrgies granted by these spirits, making them indispensable members of a party of adventurers.

Battlemage - Some mages specialize in spells that permit them to engage in combat from afar. Battlemages, in contrast, prefer to wade into the fray alongside their blade-wielding companions, close enough to read the fear in their opponents' eyes. Their spells primarily concern personal preservation as well as control of the elements in their immediate surroundings.

 

Rogue

Rogues are crafty combatants who succeed in battle by combining speed, subterfuge, and a wide range of abilities to bring their opponents down in unexpected ways, sometimes before the enemy even perceives danger. Rogues can pick locks with great skill, incapacitate enemies with ease, or sneak up on targets to deliver a devious and crippling backstab, Unlike warriors, rogues are only able to specialize in dual weaponry and archery.

Specializations: Assassin, Bard, Ranger, Duelist, Shadow

Assassin - The assassin finds any notion of fairness a quaint ideal that has no place in combat. Poisons are their weapon of choice, as are crippling strikes that inflict persistent wounds on their foes. As killers, assassins are a marvel of stealth and efficiency.

Bard - Bards follow an Orlesian tradition, acting as assassins, spies, saboteurs, and following other secretive pursuits in the constant, and sometimes petty, struggles between nobles. Having taken the minstrels' art to new levels, bards are skilled performers and master manipulators; bards can inspire allies or dishearten their foes through song and tale.

Ranger - Rangers have an affinity for open country and wilderness, but as independent scouts and militia, they are opportunists, not stewards of nature. They exploit every advantage of their environment, and can lure wild beasts to attack their foes.

Duelist - Duelists are deadly combatants who prefer to fight in light armor and strike with light, but precise attacks. Experienced duelists have preternatural reflexes that allow them to evade their opponents' clumsy blows, as well as strike with remarkable precision.

Shadow - There is no order or organization of shadows - they are self-taught elite rogues, masters of concealment and ambush. They strike from darkness, employing personal decoys and hallucinogenic poisons to distract enemies before sliding a dagger between their ribs.

 

Author's Note

18.03.2013

If there is anything that is unclear, or if you would like me to add more information on other things, tell me and I will see to it.