Tchaikovsky: The Seasons, Op. 37, June: Barcarolle

Tchaikovsky: The Seasons, Op. 37, June: Barcarolle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

我终于明白对你的爱绝不可能更改; 我只想要给你我一生的爱 ♥ ~~ 

(wc: 2499)




England’s temperature is normally mild even in the summers, but the second week of June wraps most of the country up in a heat wave. The year is 1885, and when it dissipates, six whole days later, most people are happy to see it pass.

Catherine, for one, is glad to see it gone. The corset that she is made to wear feels ten times heavier in the hot, stuffy air. Living on the outskirts of London has its perks, but she finds it impossible to leave the sprawling estate and go into the gardens when the temperature gets so high. She misses afternoon tea in the garden and archery in the courtyard.

However, when her father calls her into his study in the middle of a party that her older sister is hosting, she fears the worst. He would never call her away from an important social gathering unless it was really important.

Sweeping her gown aside so she can walk faster, Catherine skirts past the people gathered, chatting and sipping champagne and expensive wine. The guests are country’s elite and wealthy, ranging from the sons and daughters of politicians to businessmen. Her own father is one of the top journalists in the city, and they come from old, family money. As she makes her way through the crowd, she sees her sister, Christiana, laughing with a group of friends and acquaintances.

“Catherine, where are you going?” Christiana asks, with smile that doesn’t quite reach her eyes fixed on her face. She gives Catherine a warning look, telling her to stay at the party and socialize, no matter how much she’d rather be elsewhere.

Christiana, Catherine thinks, is the perfect daughter, especially for their family. She appreciates their wealth and status, and makes friends with a crowd of fellow socialites. At 22 years of age, she is nearing the time for engagement, and Catherine decides that she would not be surprised if she ended up marrying the handsome and wealthy son of the owner of the department store chain. More importantly, Christiana would actually enjoy it.

“Father called for me,” Catherine replies, curtseying modestly to her sister’s friends.

“But I haven’t had the chance to talk to you tonight yet, Kitty,” one of the men adds, smirking.

Catherine flinches, both at the stomach-churning nickname and at his suggestive tone. His father works in Parliament, Catherine remembers, and has powerful influence over the country.   

“I will be back as soon as I finish,” she replies sweetly.

Without further detours, Catherine storms out of the ballroom. Her father is seated in his leather armchair, elbows propped on an edition of the Oxford Dictionary that had been printed the year before. Stacks of old papers line the bookshelves in the room, and Catherine tentatively sits down across from him.

“Father, did you call for me?” she asks nervously.

He removes his reading glasses and puts them down, rubbing his eyes with a sigh. “Catherine, daughter, how old are you?”

“Eighteen?” she replies, confused. 

“Do you think eighteen is old enough for one to know what one wants?”

Catherine gulps nervously. She thinks she sees where this is heading. “Father, please don’t - ”

“You’re not a child anymore,” he interrupts, gruffly. “Before, with you and Jongin - ”

“ – don’t punish him,” she finishes, biting her lip and looking away. “It’s not his fault. It’s not…”

“I’m not going to punish him,” he replies, standing up. “I am quite fond of that boy; he’s like the son that I never had.”

Catherine knows, of course. Jongin has been with the family for years, almost as long as she can remember. Jongin’s mother had worked as their cook previously, and even after she had moved on from her job, Jongin had stayed as some sort of staff-slash-family-friend. Because Jongin was only a few months older in age, she had preferred his company over that of Christiana growing up.

Catherine realizes that her father is not stupid by any means; he must have found out. She wonders who had told on her. Had that newly hired maid caught them kissing in the corridor the other day? Or was it the cleaning lady, finding one of Jongin’s hastily scribbled notes in her desk drawer? Or had her father simply seen the heated glances they shared?

“Don’t fire him or – or anything, please,” she repeats, just for good measure. “I really - ”

“Christiana is getting engaged tonight,” her father interrupts, yet again.

What?

“The Byun boy has already received my permission. He is going to propose tonight, and Christiana is rather fond of him. She will, of course, accept.”

“I must remember to congratulate her then,” Catherine replies, numbly.

“My point is, Catherine, you are lucky that you are the second child. Baekhyun is a literature major, and will be able to help you run this business after me, because Christiana is useless for that kind of thing. You are free to do as you wish.”     

Do as you wish…?

“Father, does that – does that mean - ”

“If you’re sure that is what you want,” he replies, a smile finally appearing on his face. “Jongin’s a good kid, I know that.” 

“May I – may I go see him?”

Her father nods, already putting his glasses back on. “Be quick, and then return to the party,” he instructs. “You don’t want to miss the proposal, and you do still need to socialize; keep up appearances.”

Catherine finds Jongin in the kitchens, chatting with the cooks over chocolate cake batter. His skin is tan from working outside in the gardens and stables, palms rougher than those of the guests at the party. Dressed casually in a work shirt, rolled at the sleeves, Catherine thinks that Jongin shines brighter than all of those wealthy men put together. He appears surprised to see her for several reasons, and his eyebrows shoot up. For one, she is definitely supposed to be upstairs at the party, and looks out of place there in her expensive gown. In addition, she would get scolded by her parents if she was caught hanging out in the kitchens, even if she sneaks down there on a regular basis.

“Is something wrong?” he asks, immediately, moving towards her.

“I need to talk to you,” she replies, pulling him from the room. The cooks exchange knowing looks and secret smiles, but stay silent.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter