Their First Non-Date

Fell For Her Cold Heart

Author’s POV

A week has passed since Key started at his new school. He and the other members of SHINee became really close friends who always hung around together and took care of each other. Key was the ‘umma’ of the group, since he liked to nag a lot and acted like a diva a lot of the time. But even though Key has gained a lot of popularity at school, he, unfortunately, hasn’t been able to get closer to Yoojin at all. Every day, he would greet her in the morning, say goodbye to her when school ends, and try to talk to her in every chance he gets, but she would always ignore him. Other students are confused as to why Key would always try to start a conversation with the erratic girl who just ignored him. Truthfully, Key didn’t understand why either, maybe he did have a crush on her, like what his friends always about, but he felt like he didn’t know her well enough to be sure of that. For now, he decided to put it off as merely a simple attraction.

Key was walking home after two hours of dance practice with SHINee, which was longer than usual since it was Saturday. He was looking at all the newest fashion on display in the shop windows, when he heard his stomach rumble. As he glanced as his watch, he realised that it was past lunchtime. No wonder I was so hungry. Deciding to grab a snack, he searched for the nearest food store.

The closest place that sold food was a small café situated at the corner of the street. From the outside, it looked very cute and bright. Being someone who couldn’t resist cute things, Key decided to go there. The sign on top of the building read ‘Lil’ Bean Café <3’. Upon entering the café, Key was pleasantly surprised when he recognised the waitress working behind the counter.

Yoojin was carefully decorating a cupcake while chatting with Soori, who worked in the same café as her, when she heard someone call her name. Looking up, she saw a happy looking Key beaming at her and inwardly sighed. Why is he here? Even though she tried her hardest to ignore him, she couldn’t help getting a tiny nagging feeling at the back of her mind whenever she pushed him away. To be honest, she did feel a bit guilty for ignoring him all the time.

“Hey, I didn’t know you worked here!” he exclaimed. Yoojin looked away from him and continued decorating the cupcake.

Soori, who was working at the cash register, looked at her curiously. “Is he your friend, Yoojin? Wow, I didn’t know you had a guy-friend,” she said, surprised and turned to Key. “What’s your name?” she asked.

“Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Kim Kibum but everyone calls me Key. I just transferred to Deulim High School last week. I’m in the same class as Yoojin,” Key answered with a smile.

“Oh, I’ve heard of you! Apparently, you’re quite popular with many of the girls in my class,” she said with a wink. Key laughed sheepishly and rubbed the back of his neck. “I’m Lee Soori, Yoojin’s best friend,” Soori introduced herself. “So, is there anything you’d like to order?” she asked.

“Hmm, I’ll just have a chocolate muffin and a cup of hot chocolate, thanks,” Key read from the large menu on the wall. Soori took his order and Key payed for it.

Soori then leaned over and whispered in his ear. “So, what do you think of my friend Yoojin?” she asked teasingly.

Key jumped back in surprise. “W-wha? I-I don’t understand what you’re talking about,” he stammered and rushed off to sit at a table far away from where Soori was.

Soori grinned after seeing Key’s flustered reaction. Yoojin eyed her friend suspiciously as she glanced up from her finished cupcake. She knew her well enough to understand what that grin meant. Whenever Soori had on that sly grin, it meant she was up to no good.

“Okay, so what did you do this time, Soori?” she asked, narrowing her eyes.

“Nothing!” Soori replied in a sing-song voice. Seeing that Yoojin didn’t believe her, she quickly changed the subject. “So, are you close with that Key guy? You know, you two look kind of cute together.”

Yoojin sighed. “So that’s what you were up to! I told you, I don’t want to go out with anyone right now,” she exclaimed incredulously.

“I know, but I really think he’s the right one for you this time,” Soori stated. “Plus, you can’t spend your whole life hiding away from everyone, you know?”

Yoojin looked away. Deep down, she knew that Soori was right. She will eventually have to stop hiding away from males, but she couldn’t do it. She was scared of getting hurt again, she was scared that she might end up losing herself after being thrown away again and again. That fear was what kept her away from everyone else.

Soori spoke again, snapping her out of her reverie, “Yoojin, I need you to take these to Table 8, please.” She placed a tray on the counter. A cup of hot chocolate and a chocolate muffin sat neatly on the tray, along with a small stack of napkins that had beautiful floral prints on them. Yoojin nodded and balanced the tray carefully on her hands as she walked towards a table at the far corner of the café.

She stopped when she saw who sat at the table. Ugh, Soori, I should have known. It's okay, Yoojin, just walk up to him, place the food on the table, walk away. Easy. Yoojin prepared herself to ignore Key when reached . However, as she walked towards him, he didn’t greet her loudly like he usually would. He looked like he was trying not to have any eye contact with her as the tips of his ears were tinted a light pink colour. He was also a bit more fidgety than normal as she approached him. Even though he was acting strange, Yoojin took it as a good thing because it made ignoring him easier. As she softly placed the tray on the wooden table, Key muttered a quick thank you, and she walked away. Or at least tried to. At the last moment, Key reached out and grabbed her wrist.

Yoojin turned around in surprise. When she looked back at him, the weird-acting Key from a few seconds ago was gone, and replaced by the usual, cheery Key.

He grinned at her. “Yoojin-ah~ Can you accompany me to Lotte World later?” he asked. “It’s been years since I’ve last been there and I want to go there again but I’m afraid I’ll get lost… So can you go with me? Thanks~” he said without waiting for Yoojin’s answer. “When does your shift end? I’ll wait for you outside.”

Unbeknownst to them, Soori was standing nearby, eavesdropping on their conversation, so when Yoojin didn’t reply, Soori butted in and answered for her.

“Hey Key! Yoojin would love to go. We finish working in about another fifteen minutes so you won’t have to wait that long. And don’t worry Key, I’ll make sure she comes,” she chatted on excitedly.

Yoojin spun around and glared at her friend but Soori was too ecstatic for the glare to have any effect on her. Ever since Yongguk broke up with her, and she fell into this state, Soori has made it her number one goal to set Yoojin up with a guy. It has never worked though, since Yoojin always refused, but Soori was still determined to help her friend.

“Really? Thanks Soori,” Key replied happily, with a tinge of embarrassment.

“No worries. I’m glad I can help,” Soori chirped.

Annoyed, Yoojin dragged Soori back to the counter and faced her. “Why did you do that?” she asked.

“Aww, c’mon Yoojin, you have to go on a date sooner or later and since Key was offering to take you on one, this is the perfect chance,” explained Soori, who was still on Cloud Nine.

“He didn’t ask me on a date! He asked me if I could show him around Lotte World. Anyways, I’m not going!” Yoojin huffed.

“Yoojin-ah, please?” Yoojin turned her back to her friend. Soori sighed. “Okay, let’s make a deal. If you show Key around for just today, I won’t ever try to set you up with anyone again,” she tried to convince the stubborn girl.

That caught Yoojin’s attention. She turned back to Soori. “Promise?” she asked skeptically. Soori nodded enthusiastically. Yoojin thought about it for a while before she answered. “Fine, I’ll go,” the girl grumbled morosely.

“Yay~” Soori jumped up and down and hugged her friend. “I’m so excited for you! You’re finally going on a date with a guy!” she exclaimed.

Yoojin frowned. “I thought we agreed that it isn’t going to be a date.”

“When did I say that?” Soori asked. “You can think whatever you want, but to me this is going to be a date.”

Yoojin sighed. “Ugh, I regret this already,” she muttered.

“Too bad~ You already said yes~” Soori sang.


Before Yoojin knew it, her shift was over and it was time for her to take Key around Lotte World. Soori watched her closely, making sure she kept her promise.

“Okay, okay, I’m going. You don’t have to follow me everywhere,” exclaimed Yoojin as she went into the back room to grab her bag.

“Yes I do, in case you try to run away,” Soori replied.

“Fine. Suit yourself.”

Key waited anxiously as he sat on the bench just outside the café. To be honest, he already went to Lotte World a few days ago with SHINee and they had lots of fun there. He didn’t exactly know why he asked Yoojin to show him around when he’s already been there. Maybe it’s because I li-, he cut off his thoughts abruptly. No. It’s because I want to get to know her better, he repeated to himself. Yes, that’s all. I just want to learn more about her. As he waited, Key thought over many things, what he was going to say to her when she comes, which rides they would go on, whether this outing counted as a date, he felt giddy at that thought, and what he would do if she doesn’t come. All he could do now was trust Soori when she said she’d make sure she came. Even though he knew that Yoojin didn’t like being near him, he couldn’t help hoping that after today, they would be just a bit closer.

“Key~!”

Turning around, Key saw Soori waving at him while pushing a grumpy looking Yoojin. She had her arms folded and her lips were set in an annoyed pout. He chuckled and accidentally let the thought slip into his mind that she looked a tad bit cute.

“See? I told you I’d make sure she comes,” Soori said with excitement in her voice.

Key smiled. “Thanks Soori,” he said. Ever since what happened in the café, he has felt a bit awkward around Soori. She always gave him this knowing look whenever she walked past him. It was as if she knew something about him that he didn’t. Turning to Yoojin he asked, “You ready to go?”

Yoojin didn’t reply so Soori answered for her. “Yes, she’s ready,” she said, pushing her towards him. Yoojin still had her arms crossed and kept her distance from Key. Soori checked her watch and gasped. “I’ve got to get home now,” she explained. “Have fun on your date, you two,” she winked at Key and skipped away.

Key looked at the ground, feeling his face heat up, while Yoojin glared angrily at Soori’s retreating figure. “I told you, it’s not a date!” she shouted exasperatedly. Soori just turned around and stuck her tongue out before skipping away again.

Key and Yoojin stood in the middle of the sidewalk in an awkward silence for a while, until Key suddenly spoke up. “Shall we go now, Yoojin?” he asked.

Yoojin sighed and nodded.

They boarded a train that stopped in front Lotte World. Yoojin sat on an empty seat near the front of the train, and since the rest of the seats were taken, Key decided to sit down next to her. As he sat down, Yoojin scooted further away.

Key pouted. “You don’t have to avoid me all the time. I won’t bite,” he said. When Yoojin didn’t reply he spoke again. “Why do you keep avoiding everyone, anyways?” he asked. He sighed when Yoojin didn’t reply again. She was just staring out the window. “Has it got something to do with your ex-boyfriend?” he questioned cautiously.

Yoojin looked at him wide eyed. “How did you know about him?” she asked.

“Jonghyun told me. So it does have something to do with him, doesn’t it?” Key replied.

“It’s none of your business,” Yoojin looked out of the window, but Key kept nagging.

“But I wanna know~” he whined. “Come on, won’t you tell me?” He clutched onto Yoojin’s arm.

Yoojin glared at him and shook him off. She looked back out the window, trying to ignore the annoyingly persistent guy sitting next to her. However, her attempts to get him off her back failed miserably as he continued to nag at her until she answered.

“Tell me~ Is it because of him?” he asked, putting his face in front of her. “Yoojin-ah~”

Yoojin, startled by the close proximity of their faces, tried to move away from him, but was disappointed to find the back of the seat blocking her. She gave up and answered him.

“Partly,” Yoojin admitted simply and sighed in relief when he moved back into his seat.

Key wasn’t very satisfied with her short answer. “What are the other reasons?” he asked.

“Why is it so important to you, anyways?” Yoojin asked, irritated.

Key looked at her with an unusual expression in his eyes. “I just want to get to know you better,” he replied honestly.

His answer surprised her. Why was Key so curious about her when everyone else couldn’t care less about who she was?

“Why?” she asked.

Key smiled. “’Cause you’re such a mysterious creature. I just can’t help being curious about you.”

Yoojin blushed but then looked away sadly. She didn’t want him to be curious of her. She was scared that she might end up being too attached to him and get hurt again. Although it was hard, always having to keep her guard up, her fear of becoming too familiar with people, particularly males, constrained her. She couldn’t get out of it.

Yoojin didn’t speak again for the rest of the ride, no matter how much Key nagged at her. After a while, he also gave up and leaned back into his seat. Therefore, the remainder of the train ride was spent in silence.


I kinda got a writer's block halfway through writing this chapter, thats why it took longer than usual. Luckily, I was able to get out of it \(^o^)/ Yay~

And also, I started a new story for this contest that sounded fun :D But that also means I won't be able to update FFHCH as much T^T Sorry~

Anyways, please check it out. I haven't gotten very far with it yet ->> A Beautiful World Starring Myungsoo~

Thanks for reading!