The Battle of Light and Dark

Angel Lock

 

Chapter Three: The Battle of Light and Dark

                “Angel hyung,” Myung-soo said one morning while the two of them were having breakfast, “Tell me more about your power.”

                “What do you want to know about it?”

                “You said you can combat dark in an instant,” Myung-soo said, “How?”

“How? Hmm… by using the instruments God gave us,” Angel said. “We have a sword, and a shield as well. Surely you’ve watched movies like that, so I don’t think I have to describe everything.”

“Yeah, but…” Myung-soo didn’t know if he would still ask or not, but he decided to go for it. “Do you grow wings?” Angel suddenly laughed.

“I already have wings the moment I was created,” Angel said, “It won’t show now, but it will come out when I need it the most. Probably when it’s a matter of your life and death.”

“So things should get to worst before I see your wings?” Myung-soo said, “Then I’ll never get to see it.”

---o0o---

Myung-soo had never been the extroverted type of person. He finished elementary without having any friends. He survived middle school with only Sung-jong and he also had thought that it would be the same case when he got to senior high. Everything changed when his Angel came.

“Hyung, doesn’t it look funny?” Myung-soo muttered in front of the boy’s washroom mirror. “I’ve never fixed my hair like this before.”

“Yah, trust Sung-jong. You look great,” Angel said. “And believe me, with that look of yours, both guys and girls will fall for you.”

“I don’t think I will like that though,” Myung-soo and Angel went to the event hall for the Mr. and Ms. Teen Idol. Myung-soo was the representative of their class and Sung-jong presented himself to be the coach and stylist.

“Myung-soo ah, don’t panic okay? Stay calm. There’s no problem with your looks. In the question and answer portion, all that you need is presence of mind. The questions are always subjective type, so you don’t have to worry about it, okay?” Sung-jong said while putting some finishing touches to Myung-soo’s outfit.

Myung-soo looked at Angel who gave him a huge smile. “You can do it!” he said, and Myung-soo took three deep breaths before going on stage.

---o0o---

“Myungie! You rocked the whole gymnasium!” Sung-yeol literally jumped up and down on his feet as they went out of the hall.

“Yeah! I mean, I’ve heard you singing before, but what you did earlier…it’s…amazing!” Sung-jong said.

“You think so?” Myung-soo said, “I don’t know. I was so nervous before I got on stage, but when I got there, it was all gone.” Myung-soo stopped as if he had a realization. “Angel hyung, you don’t have anything to do with it, don’t you?”

“What do you mean?” Angel said, “I don’t have a power like that. You did it all by yourself.” Myung-soo smiled even more after that. For once he knew he accomplished something big because he could.

“By the way, whose guitar did you use on when you performed?” Sung-jong said.

“I think it’s mine,” Myung-soo said. “It has been ours for so long I don’t even remember when. Wait!” Everybody stopped and Myung-soo looked at Angel. “I forgot to get my guitar from the back stage!”

“I’ll get it for you!” Angel ran back to the event hall while the rest waited for him half a mile away. While waiting, Sung-jong went on with his praises to Myung-soo, and that he was very lucky to have a best friend like him. Myung-soo just let his friend be overjoyed with their winning, but then he suddenly felt uneasy.

At that moment Myung-soo knew something bad might happen. The last time he felt that, he found himself being held hostage with the muzzle of a 45-caliber pistol pressed against his temple. He wandered his eyes to the side, only to find a strange sight.

A man dressed in an all black royal guard suit was standing under a nightlight. He had dark deep eyes and black hair that ran to his cheeks and covered part of his face. There were golden chains that runs from his left shoulder to his right side which contrasts with the black. He looked familiar to him. Although far away, Myung-soo could clearly see that he was staring at them. Myung-soo continued to scrutinize the man, and a small glint of light from behind the man caught his eye.

“Is that a sword?” Myung-soo muttered unconsciously.

“What sword?” Sung-jong moved to look into the direction to which Myung-soo was staring. “Aside from the lamp post, I see nothing Myung,” Sung-jong said which appalled Myung-soo. Am I the only one who can see him? Unexpectedly, the man lifted his sword to the side, as if he was pointing something, encouraging Myung-soo to look at it.

Myung-soo followed where the man was pointing, and there he found the ones who would cause them harm. A group of drunk men was walking towards their direction. Myung-soo looked back to the man, but he was already gone. Did he just warned us of an impending danger?

“Let’s go back inside,” Myung-soo started pulling Sung-jong and Sung-yeol to the direction of the hall. “Come on, hurry!” he said.

“Why? What’s happen– ah!” A bottle landed near Sung-jong’s foot which surprised the boy and caused them to stop.

“Don’t stop, keep walking,” Myung-soo said, but Sung-jong hurt his foot, and Sung-yeol checked on the wound.

“Look at what we have here,” a voice said. The three looked up, and found the group already walking towards them.

“Hyung, carry Sung-jong on your back, and run,” Myung-soo said, “I’ll distract them.”

“But,” Sung-yeol was about to object but Myung-soo pleaded them to go. “Okay, just be careful.” Myung-soo stood up and waited for the group, while Sung-yeol ran to the opposite direction.

“Hey, where are your pretty friends going?” one of the men said.

“Home, my friend was hurt because of the bottle you guys threw on our direction,” Myung-soo politely said.

“Aww… too bad, we couldn’t play with them,” the man held Myung-soo’s chin to get a view of his face, “you’re too pretty for a guy too huh. Want to play with us?”

Myung-soo tried hard to hide his fear with a smile. “I appreciate that sir, but I have to go home,” Myung-soo took out a few dollars from his wallet and handed it to the man, “I’m sorry sir, just buy few more bottles for you and your friends.”

Myung-soo turned and started walking back to the hall briskly. He wished that it would be the end of it, but that didn’t happen.

“Yah, do you think we will let you get away with money?” the man said. With that, Myung-soo started to run as fast as he could. He looked back to find all five of them running after him.

As soon as Myung-soo got into the hall, he yelled from the top of his lungs, “Angel, help!” And at an instant, Angel put the drunkards to sleep. Myung-soo didn’t stop running towards the stage. He was just too scared to stop.

Halfway there he passed under a huge metal beam that holds the spotlights that illuminates the stage. Suddenly, the whole place dimmed and a loud crashing sound was heard.

It happened in a blink of an eye. One second Myung-soo saw sparks falling from the beam, and the next second he knew, he was lying on his back, pieces of broken spotlights were lying around them and Angel was straddling over him, covering him with… are those wings?

                The only remaining light was the light from the emergency lamps that automatically at both sides of the stage. In spite of that, Myung-soo could clearly see Angel’s face. And also the golden wings covering the both of them.

                Myung-soo swore his heart thumped rapidly that moment. Actually, he couldn’t remember when it started beating that fast. Was it during the whole spotlight falling over thing? Or was it because…

                Three loud claps were heard, and a voice said, “Very nice! That was a very good stunt my dear.” Angel stood up and carried Myung-soo to the foot of the stage, before saying, “Shield.” At an instant, a golden shield appeared of his hand.

                “Hold this, it will keep you safe for a while,” Angel said, before turning to the one who spoke. “Who are you?”

                “Ah, I’m Woo-hyun,” the speaker slowly ascended from another beam, revealing a man wearing all black. He looked similar to the man Myung-soo saw earlier, only with a pair of black wings on his back. “Senior Dark Angel, second class. How about– oh, I’m sorry, I forgot. Aside from archangels, angels don’t have names.”

                “I’m a Senior Angel of Light, second class,” Angel said, “and I already have a name.”

                “Oh, I see, the boy gave you a name. Too bad,” suddenly, a silver sword appeared in Woo-hyun’s hand and he said “I’m gonna be taking him away from you!”

                “Oh no you won’t,” Angel and Woo-hyun launched forward for each other. Sword versus sword. Angel versus angel.

Myung-soo covered his ears while he clutched tightly on Angel’s shield. He didn’t see directly how the whole battle happened. That time, all that he could see and hear were blurs of gold and black and the sound of thunder every time they clashed together.

Suddenly one of them crashed on the ground. Woo-hyun.

“Nam Woo-hyun,” Angel said, “I remember now. You’re the son of the mafia leader who abused you as a boy. In return, when you got old enough, you killed your own father and ran the mafia worse than your father.”

“So what?” Woo-hyun said as he stood up. Angel stepped closer to him. “You don’t have to suffer anymore,” Angel told him, “repent, and you will be given another chance.”

Woo-hyun chuckled and glared at Myung-soo. Myung-soo just immediately froze on his toes. “Do you really think a little background check will help you save that boy?””

“Dark, I’m talking about saving you. Just leave the boy alone,” Angel said as he walked near the other. Woo-hyun chuckled. “Why is it a big fuss for you? Everybody dies my dear,” he said before standing up.

“It’s not his time yet,” Angel said.

“A lot of people die even if it’s not yet their time,” Woo-hyun took his sword beside him. “Why don’t you just say it?”

“Say what?” Angel said.

“That you’ve become attached to him,” Woo-hyun said with an expression as if he was challenging Angel.

“Angels cannot be attached to humans,” Angel breathed between his teeth.

“Right,” Woo-hyun attacked Angel, “but you did.”

                “I didn’t!” Angel pushed Woo-hyun away. “I care for him because the Father wanted me too.”

                “Shut up and just join us you stubborn angel! Because when you do… you’ll be free to love him for eternity.” Angel lowered his sword and Woo-hyun smiled his evil smile. “You’ll remember everything. Your past lives, all the thing you learned in your past lives, all the people you’ve been with. You’ll be free to do everything you want.”

“Come,” Woo-hyun held out his hand towards Angel, “I know you wanted to.” Angel walked slowly towards Woo-hyun, his eyes fixed on his hand. Angel lifted his hand and was about to touch Woo-hyun when, “Angel, no!”

With Myung-soo’s call, Angel averted his eyes quickly as if he just came out of a trance. “No!” Woo-hyun lifted his sword and lunged towards Angel.

“Hyung!” Myung-soo ran to the two. He was ready to burst into tears if Angel lost the battle, but the result made him cry even more. Woo-hyun lied on top Angel, the golden sword pierced through his chest. Angel pushed his body away and sat up, scratch free.

“Hyung!” Myung-soo quickly clung around Angel’s neck.

“My father,” Woo-hyun muttered between breaths, “he didn’t abuse me… it was my uncle. I didn’t mean to… kill him… but he believed his brother more than his own son… I… I was hurt…I’m… I’m sorry…”

“Woo-hyun ah,” Angel sat beside him and held his hands, “you don’t have to suffer anymore.” And inch by inch, starting from Woo-hyun’s sleeves and from the base of his wings, turned white until there was no black left.

“Thank you,” Woo-hyun said.

“You’re welcome,” Angel said. Woo-hyun’s body started to dissolve into small sparks flying upwards, out to the open air.

“Where will he go?” Myung-soo said, still holding Angel tight.

“Back to the natural cycle of life,” Angel looked at Myung-soo and held him tight, “probably, after fifteen to eighteen years from now, you’ll see him again, only better.”

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello! So how was it so far? Comments please :)

Sorry, I kind of eliminated Woo-hyun’s character right away, but don’t worry, I might write another chapter with him when the story reached near its end.