Another Lie

Angel Lock

 

Chapter Thirteen: Another Lie

                Sung-gyu was sent to the jail hospital, and everyone was waiting for the court hearing. While everything seem to be already back on its supposed places, Jung-won suggested that it would be better if Myung-soo will be brought out of the town for some vacation. Since Mrs. Kim knew that Myung-soo can never truly have fun without Sung-jong and Dong-woo, she insisted for her son’s best friends to come. On the other hand, Myung-soo believed it will be hard for him to forget everything, especially when he knew he was able to bring his hyung back.

                “M-myung-soo,” Sung-gyu said while blood flowed out from the gun wound, “I’m… I’m sorry…”

                “Shh… Don’t worry, everything will be alright,” Myung-soo quickly took his hyung’s right hand. He brought the key onto the lock, but since he was already panicking because of the thought of his hyung dying, he struggled in opening a single lock. “Everything will go back to the way it should be,” Myung-soo muttered while holding his hyung’s hand. Myung-soo waited, but the blood continued flowing out of the gunshot wound. What’s happening? Why isn’t it stopping?  

                On the corner of Myung-soo’s eyes, he could see Jung-won slowly moved to his side to get a closer look while keeping her gun. Myung-soo glanced at her, and she was looking at the black things with a mixture of awe and disbelief. “Myung-soo, the paramedics are already here, they’ll be taking care of him,” Jung-won said behind him but Myung-soo refused to listen. He lowered his head and brought his arm under Sung-gyu’s head so that they were closer with one another, “Come on… the wish is supposed to be void right now… you should become an angel any minute now.”

                 “I… was human?” Sung-gyu muttered. Myung-soo looked at his hyung’s face, but he was surprised to find an emotionless face. He wasn’t able to look away. He suddenly felt guilty and terrified that Sung-gyu knew his fault. “I was human because of…. You?”

                “Hyung, I’m sorry,” As soon as Myung-soo said that, paramedics came onto the scene and quickly took Sung-gyu away.

                “Where are we going auntie?” Sung-yeol asked which snapped Myung-soo from his thoughts. Mrs. Kim was driving the car. Sung-yeol sat beside her in the front seat while Myung-soo, Sung-jong and Dong-woo was on the back seat.

                “To my grandmother’s farm,” Mrs. Kim responded, eyes still on the road. “We used to live nearby, but I decided to move to the city because of work. Myung-soo was just three years old when we left, so it was last time that my grandmother saw him. I just thought it’s the perfect place to spend some time away from the city.”

                “Are you all okay back there?” Mrs. Kim said before glancing at the boys through the mirror.

                “We’re alright Auntie,” Sung-jong said before looking at Myung-soo who was sitting beside him, “right?” Myung-soo responded with a simple nod. Sung-jong understood him and didn’t go further. Instead, he put his arm over Myung-soo’s shoulders and slightly patted his back.

                “Sung-jong ah,” Myung-soo muttered, “where were you back in the hospital?”

                “I,” Sung-jong smiled a little before continuing, something that Myung-soo’s eyes missed on seeing, “I found myself at the rooftop too, although I was completely asleep when everything that you said happened.”

                “You look happy,” Myung-soo said in a tone he didn’t intend to use.

                “Myung-soo,” Sung-jong shifted his body to fully face his best friend. “I’m sorry to be like this. I know I shouldn’t be so happy but…”

                “Aniya, it’s alright,” Myung-soo said, “I missed seeing everyone’s smiles. So why are you happy? Did something happen?”

                Sung-jong leaned back on the car seat and closed his eyes for a while, a small smile was on his face. “I know it’s weird, but I dreamt about my brother,” Sung-jong said, “That night I dreamt that he carried me to the rooftop, and he told me that it could be that last time we will be able to talk.” Sung-jong opened his eyes, and Myung-soo could clearly see a sparkle on them.

                “He told me how much he loved me, and that all these years he was just around, watching me. He told me not to be afraid, because angels are around to continue guiding me every day.” Sung-jong chuckled before continuing, “I was just so surprised to wake up in the roof top like in my dream.”

                “How about you Dong-woo?” Sung-jong said, “You’re alright, right?”

                “If you mean ‘I’m still alive’ alright, then I’m alright,” Dong-woo grinned big. “Everything sounded so unreal when Myung-soo told it to the police, but I couldn’t say that it wasn’t true… I saw it with my very own eyes.”

                “But don’t worry too much about me,” Dong-woo said, “Although I’m certain that I won’t be staying out of my house past curfew, and I will never, ever be friends with people named Angel, I’m going to live a happy life.”

                “Right, after all the blood and gross things I’ve seen? I’m going to live my life to the fullest,” Sung-jong added. Myung-soo found it odd and interesting at the same time that his friends seem to easily get over with the horror brought by that night in the hospital, but then he thought maybe that was the same reason fate brought them together and became friends – a boy with a Dark angel as his brother, an angel and a boy who fell in love with an angel – they were all odd.

                “Boys, we’re almost there,” Mrs. Kim announced as they turned to a dirt road, through vast green fields of rice and vegetables.

                “Whoa… I can make and eat fresh kimchi with all of these vegetables,” Dong-woo said.

                “Dong-woo! Don’t put your head out of the window!” Sung-jong said while having a hard time in pulling his friend in. The sight made Myung-soo chuckle.

                Myung-soo looked outside the window beside him, and took in all the green pasture that his eyes could see. He must have had good memories in that place, Myung-soo thought, since as soon as they entered the farm, all that he was able to feel was an unusual excitement. All of those were just too familiar to him. As the car continued driving through the road, they passed a wooden house with vines already climbing up its walls. At first glance, the house can be described as beautiful, but when looked closely, some parts of it were coaled, burnt.

                Myung-soo was about to ask his mother when she suddenly spoke. “Look ahead,” Mrs. Kim said. Everyone’s attention turned to the old house they were approaching. Music can be heard from a distance, with lanterns hanging from one side to the other as if a festivity was about to happen. “Wow, apparently they made our visit a big deal,” Mrs. Kim turned off the engine in front of the house’s wooden gate. “Everyone, let’s go.”

                Mrs. Kim led the way, followed by Sung-yeol who carried his’ and Mrs. Kim’s luggage, while the rest followed them, Myung-soo slightly lingering back. As soon as the group went in the house, people started to gather around them, most gave Mrs. Kim friendly hugs.

                “Oh, Min-yu, are these boys your sons already?” One elder said.

                “No auntie ,” Mrs. Kim said. “They are Myung-soo’s friends.”

                “Ah, so where is your son?” another lady asked. Everybody paused as the elder earlier started walking away from Mrs. Kim, towards the direction of Myung-soo.

                “I can’t be wrong,” the elder said, “I’m sure this is our beloved Myung-soo.” The lady went closer to the elder and looked at Myung-soo. “Yes, his eyes looked exactly like those of his father,” the lady said.

                “Unnie!” Mrs. Kim said, “We’re here to relax, don’t bring the topic to him.”

                “Oh, mianhae,” the lady said before turning back to Myung-soo. “Kim Myung-soo, I’m your mother’s elder sister, Yoo Woo-kyung.” After that, the elder went closer and held Myung-soo’s hands. “I’m your grandmother’s younger sister,” The elder said, “I’m your grandmother too, Myung-soo. ”

                “Since everyone is here, let’s start the celebration!” Mrs. Kim said, and all the topic about Myung-soo’s father was dropped, but not to Myung-soo.

                Woo-kyung made everybody change to traditional clothes first before enjoying the food, wine and the music. As soon as they finished changing, Sung-jong invited them to join the dance, but  Myung-soo wasn’t in the mood to join the party so instead of joining his friends, he insisted on staying on the side just to watch everyone.

               “Why are you alone?” a man suddenly spoke which surprised Myung-soo. He didn’t even notice him sit beside him.

                “I… I’m not really a party person,” Myung-soo said.

                “Yeah, me too,” the man said even if Myung-soo didn’t ask him. “Are you happy?” the asked him again. It was a simple question, but Myung-soo had a hard time of finding an answer. “Myung-soo?”

                “Uh, yes,” Myung-soo gave the man a small smile before continuing, “not excessively happy, but seeing the people I love smiling and having a good life… makes me feel contented with my life. I’m happy.” The man smiled at him, “that’s the only thing I wanted to hear from you. I’m happy for you too.” After that, the man stood up and started walking away, out of the wooden gate. Who was he?

                “Hey, why are sitting here all alone?” Woo-kyung said.

                “Auntie,” Myung-soo said, “Who was that mister?”

                “What mister?” Myung-soo lifted his hand to point to the man who was about to leave. Myung-soo looked back to his Aunt Woo-kyung, but he it confused him to find his auntie looking at the man with wide eyes.

                “I guess he must be a close friend of your grandmother,” Woo-kyung said as she finally snapped back to reality. Just a close friend?

                After a while of watching people dance and eating rice wraps on one side, Myung-soo decided to go to their room and sleep. He was about to open the door when he heard his mother’s voice, speaking to his auntie. Judging by each other’s tone, they must have been talking about a serious topic. Myung-soo ducked right away so that he wouldn’t interfere with the conversation, but his auntie’s statement caught his attention and somewhat forced him to listen to the two.

                “He already met his father, why don’t you give him a chance to get to know him?” he heard his Aunt Woo-kyung say.

                “What? When did this happen?” his mother’s voice already sounded exasperated.

                “Earlier,” Woo-kyung said, “Nobody noticed him and he was able to make his way to his son.”

                “So that’s what you meant with just a close friend,” Myung-soo spoke behind the wooden door, loud enough for his mother and aunt to hear on the other side. Feet scrambling to the door was heard after that and soon the door opened, revealing his mother’s shocked expression.

                “You told me he was dead,” Myung-soo said on the verge of tears, “how could you lie to me?” Mrs. Kim was about to say something but Myung-soo prevented her. “I want to see him… I want to meet my father… now.”

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry... I know I haven't updated much during these past few weeks. I was actually having a hard time, mainly because of work. Here's an update, but then you might find it uninteresting... I'm really sorry!