Lights

The Book Of Tao

 

He has many, many pictures, of everything he likes. 
You there was a folder, not even his group mates had seen...
 

 

His smile was one of the sweetest you had ever seen. 
 
It was hard to coax out, so it felt like a reward whenever he ducked his head slighty and showed a hint of his teeth.
 
He knew dozens of ways to kill a man with his bare hands, even his feet, and was very confident in them. Yet he was the shiest boy you had ever come across. There were a few moments in the day when he would be loud, mainly with his best friend in the group. Mainly he stuck to himself, playing games on his Iphone or taking pictures. 
 
Many people thought his phone was full of only himself; he posted enough to give them that opinion. Only, his phone had just a few pictures saved that he liked. The vast majority, separated into folders, were of his group mates – hundreds of pictures of them. Some when they weren't looking, some posing together. Another folder was of his actual family, his mother and father, kept under locked folders. Other folders had interesting things he fancied, earrings, landscapes, hairstyles. The others were just random pictures, some things he liked if one of the group stole his phone for the moment.
 
So it surprised you one day when you found him aiming the camera in your direction. 
 
The white case was blinding in the darkness you were in, and you looked at him for only a moment.
 
You thought nothing of it; there must have been something behind you that was interesting. You continued to adjust the lighting rig, trying to shine it on the duct-taped 'x' on the floor. The darn thing wasn't angling properly to spotlight Sehun; the others followed correctly, but this one was stubborn. 
 
Maybe if you could stop thinking about the selca-mastered boy, you could get something done. 
 
But you already knew that wasn't going to happen. 
 
You knew he never paid you any mind. All of them were busy practicing, but it seemed like he always put extra into it. He had to exercise and then practice his Wushu, then practice his singing, dancing and performing. He had a permanently tired look on his face, and a certain haze in his eyes. 
 
Not that he would ever say anything to it. 
 
He would just wipe his eyes and soldier on.
 
His dark eyes would just stare at the world, offering nothing and watching everything. You didn't know why you found him so fascinating. If anything you should like the Kai, or the cute D.O, even then expressive Chanyeol. 
 
But something about those hard features made you wonder what he was thinking. 
 
You knew he had a passion for Gucci, something you didn't understand.
 
He had passion for black, something you found him very likable in him. The last video had him in a tight leather jacket, zippers in every conceivable place, with only a ripped tank top underneath and tight black jeans with equally as black combat boots. He was the most dressed down and he owned it. Of course, he stood out, with his hair spiked up and the eyeliner, and the spiral tattoo emblazed on his left cheek. 
 
Some parts of you wished he'd kept that. 
 
You hand worked hard over the lighting fixture, wincing when a stray edge caught your thumb. It didn't bleed, but it stung and you lay your lips over it to soothe the sting. 
 
Humming a bit, you continued your work, the light needed only minor adjustments...
 
"You need to be quick with this!"
 
Jumping out of your skin, you turned sharply to the lighting director, and glared at him for startling you. 
 
"You know I'm doing your men's job, correct? You know I barely have an idea what I'm doing?" 
 
He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. "Yes, I'm sorry, but everything is riding on this. If it's not perfect, I could lose my job. I didn't know he would quit." 
 
Your lips pressed into a thin line. This was the speech that had gotten you in trouble before. Only you knew why the guy had quit now. It wasn't pressure. 
 
"Fine, fine. Just leave me alone to try and fix this..." 
 
He bowed. You felt the wind as you turned your back, trying to fiddle with the controller. You heard his steps walking away, and tried to focus, the anxiety
building in your mind. You really didn't want to screw this up.
 
Raising the lights all the way back up and marveling at the way they effortlessly glided up you edged the light a little to the right. 
 
"Perfect!" You threw your fist in the air, doing a small dance in a circle with yourself. "I did it." 
 
You heard a shutter sound behind you and jolted, spinning around to see an amusedly smirking Tao standing behind you. 
 
"Whoa!" Where in the heck had he come from!? You could have sworn he had walked off a few moments ago!
 
He still had his phone in his hand, slightly held up and then you knew...
 
You knew what that sound had been.
 
"Did...did you take a picture of me?" His smirk grew and he shrugged his shoulders. 
 
"Maybe." 
 
Your eyes bugged out, and you started to blush, shaking your head back and forth. "Okay...umm, please. Please delete that, it's probably not a good picture...!" 
 
He just stubbornly shook his head, lowering his hand to his side, "Nah. I think I'll keep it. It's funny." 
 
There was a dangerous look to his eyes...a challenge.
 
"Tao-ssi! Please delete that...!" 
 
He shook his head, ducking it slightly and bringing it back up. "Not until you do something."
 
You tilted your head, wondering just what the heck he wanted.
 
"Take another picture." He looked down at his phone, and then up at you through his eyelashes.
 
"Another picture?" You were confused. Why did he want another picture?
 
"Yah, it's the only way I'll delete the other one."
 
You sighed. "Blackmail? Seriously?" 
 
He blushed lightly, a held up his phone. "The only way." 
 
You grumbled, but stood still in front of the camera, hoping there wasn't a stupid frame or something like that on the other side. 
 
"Smile," he whispered, holding his phone out in front of him. He held his finger over the button.
 
You tried a smile, hoping it wasn't going to come out funny. 
 
The flash went off in your face.
 
Blinded, you blinked rapidly a couple of times, trying to clear your vision.
 
When you got your vision back, he was smiling sweetly, still holding his phone at his side.
 
"Okay...now will you delete it?" You nodded once, a hopefulness rising in your heart.
 
He laughed, a devil's smirk on his face. "Maybe." 
 
"Maybe! But you promised!" 
 
...And then you lost it.
 
Lunging for his hand, more specifically his phone, you bumped into his shoulder, knocking him back into the wall behind him. He leaned on it, shoving the
phone behind his back.
 
Not quite realizing what you were doing you reached behind him, wrapping one arm around him. Only for him to put his other hand behind him and pull his
phone out on the other side. 
 
You switched sides, trying to reach it, but he put it behind his back again, and this time you put both of your arms around him.
 
He kept pushing it higher, pushing back until your arms couldn't reach up anymore.
 
...And you realized where you were. What you were doing.
 
Your face was almost pressed to his chest, the deep smell off his cologne overpowering you. Your arms were around his stomach, and he was looking down at you, a blush dusting his cheeks.
 
You...you just molested the Tao from Exo-M...well. There goes your job...
 
"S-sorry!" You backed up, your hands up in surrender, trying to save what little face you had left. "I didn't mean to- I...just...I-" 
 
He slowly pulled his phone from behind him, pressing his lips into a line and turning the screen towards you.
 
"This is why I didn't want you to see it." He leaned over it to observe and you watched his finger as he flicked through the folder...
 
It was pictures of you.
 
Dozens
 
From every angle.
 
Talking, smiling, reading, signing papers.
 
Your mouth was falling open the more his finger was flicking, it was never ending...
 
He finally got to the light picture, and you had to cringe. It looked so dorky. And he pressed his finger over the delete button.
 
"Go ahead, if you really want to..." he whispered, his eyes downcast, and a slight pout to his lips.
 
You felt...bad. So you reached over and pressed the exit button, your face on fire. 
 
"Why...why do you have so many pictures of me?" you whispered back to him, trying to look into his eyes but failing. He was hiding them behind his bangs.
 
"Tao-yah...! Where are youuuuuuuu?" It was Suho's voice, and he sounded close.
 
Tao swallowed hard, looking up at you for a quick instant.
 
"I take pictures of what I like."
 
He nodded once, and turned quickly to 's voice, taking off and leaving you standing there in shock.