Hope

The Book Of Tao

This is the first chapter in 'The Book Of Tao':

He was only a friend to help.

But could you hope for more?

 

 


 

 
It just...
 
It just kept slipping out of your grasp everytime you tried to get it...
 
No matter how hard you concentrated, it always slipped out.
 
At that angle, those chopsticks would not hold onto that chicken! 
 
You sighed, sticking your tongue out in concentration. You wanted that chicken! You were starving! Your sticks clapped together and the chicken fell, inches from your mouth. 
 
"Stupid chicken..." you whispered at it, giving it the best death glare you could, given the situation. You hoped no one was watching your failure; everything else about this trip had gone so well! You had a pretty good master of this procedure in your home town, but these chopsticks were different!
 
Or so you'd like to think. 
 
You looked around under your lashes, the busy restaurant filled with the clanking of plates, and the soft thunk of dozens of chopsticks. You hmph'ed, trying not to feel so bad, and tried again... only for the chicken to fling off and land on the edge of the plate across from you.
 
You glanced at it, and reached your hand out for it, trying not to attract too much attention to yourself...
 
When a pair of chopsticks s out, snapping up the chicken and your mouth fell open in shock as the chicken traveled up. Lush lips opened and let the chicken fall in, munching on the crisp morsel that you had been working hard for. 
 
"Hey!" you pouted, staring at the mouth of the boy in front of you. It curled into a grin. 
 
"What? It was on my plate." His accent was still underlined in his voice, his hooded eyes twinkling in response to your anger. 
 
"No, it wasn't! It was, like, barely on there! And I had it first!" Your pout intensified, and he laughed, flicking a few strands of deep black hair out of his eyes. 
 
"You win some, you lose some." You glared down at your plate, noticing it was quite empty. You were upset once again by the fact everyone had been eating off of your plate. You had been there for about an hour now, and all you've had was a bit of rice from Luhan before he was distracted. 
 
Damn Kris, damn Kai, and damn Tao!
 
Speaking of the boy, you turned your glare to him. "Now what am I supposed to do?" 
 
He shrugged, motioning towards the giant mass of food, just out of your reach. "You could...I don't know...get more food?" And he thoughtfully popped a mini
rice ball in his mouth. 
 
"I didn't have any, and now you want me to get more? I'll look like a pig." You bit at your lip, waving your own hand to the other boys. At first it had seemed like a good idea to go out with them; all the coordinoonas had been invited. Just to celebrate their comeback they had rented out the entire restaurant. A few of their favorites were chosen to sit next to them and you were squashed at the end. 
 
Just because you had saved Lehun from falling...a couple of times. 
 
...But was a story for later! Now there was a task at hand...
 
You looked down on your plate-
 
It was full.
 
Of chicken.
 
Your gaze snapped to Tao's and he smiled softly, nodding his head towards you. "Happy?" 
 
You smiled back, nodding, happily looking down at your plate. Now, all you had to do is get these darn sticks. 
 
"You want me to teach you?" Tao said around a mouthful of food, and you were thankful everyone else was too busy talking to each other to notice. 
 
Your pride kept you from saying yes, but a few moments later, after failing again, your rumbling stomach prodded you to say yes, 
 
"Please." Your head hung in a bit of shame, even as a chair scraped itself beside you, and you stared down at the warm chicken. 
 
Tao tisked, lifting your head with his forefinger, smiling when you looked into his eyes again. 
 
"I do know how to use them...there's just something about these that I don't get..." 
 
He nodded, taking his own in his hand. "These are a bit more slender. They're tricky." He placed his hand out, "Try it like you're going to shake someone's hand." As he demonstrated, he waited patiently for you to follow, and when you did he laughed, taking your hand in his. Giving it a quick shake, he looked like he was enjoying making you laugh.
 
"Okay, after that you have to put it right here..." he trailed off, showing you with his own hand, the first stick in between his thumb.
 
"Here?" you questioned, placing it roughly where he had his, trying to keep your hand perfectly still.
 
"No, not quite..." His hand was on yours again and you felt the familiar rush his skin always gave you. Unable to help it, you snuck a quick glance at his profile, leaned over to show you. He leaned back, noticed you were looking at his face, and raised his eyebrow at your hand. When you looked at it he had moved the stick up a little higher. "You have to compensate for the width." 
 
Oh...you placed the second one where it was supposed to be, moving the chopsticks the way they were made to. Sneaking your head up to look at Tao's reaction, you were pleased to see his approval. 
 
"Good job, but this one"—he took the second and pushed it up just slightly—"needs to up too." Moving just a little bit, you tried to pick up the chicken, missing and trying again. 
 
You were determined now, Tao was watching. Your crush was watching.
 
Tao had been that for you for a long time now, the sight of his dark head and deep eyes setting something off. Deep in your chest you tried to hide it, shielding it from prying eyes. What if they took you off taking care of them if the managers knew? What if he thought you were awkward and didn't want to talk anymore? 
 
Would he still be helping you now?
 
...Would his hand be over yours, teaching you how to use these darn things?
 
...Wait. Over your hand?
 
His hand was covering yours, while yours was going through the motions, demonstrating how to pick up the chicken.
 
"Open." You backed up a tad, staring almost cross eyed at the piece in front of your lips.
 
"What?" 
 
The corner of his lips curved up and he gently pushed the piece to your lips, your stomach rumbling in response. 
 
 
"This is probably the only way you're going to get any food." His smirk turned sweet, and you let the piece slide past your lips. Chewing thoughtfully, you tried not to giggle as he crossed his eyes, sticking his tongue out. 
 
"You're trying to make me lose my chicken!" you after swallowing, poking his shoulder with your clean chopsticks. 
 
"Maybe. More for me." His eyes had that attractive twinkle again, leaning in a little bit to put his elbows on the table. 
 
"I thought you prefered Western food." He looked surprised for a moment and then his face returned to that sweet smile.
 
"You remembered." 
 
You swallowed hard at the intimate atmosphere, his face almost too close for comfort. His hand was strangely near yours, and his shoulders were facing yours, his mouth slightly open.
 
"You...always eat it so..." you trailed off, getting lost in his eyes, trying not to watch his tongue flicker out to wet his lips. 
 
He wasn't looking away either. 
 
"AW! That's cute! Tao-yah and noona together!" Lehun's high voice interrupted and you jumped, leaning a little back. Tao's cheeks erupted in a deep blush, his skin tone highlighting it perfectly as he looked to his grinning group mate. 
 
But he didn't move away. 
 
In fact, he scooted his chair a little closer, turning his body just a little bit more to try and block Lehun's view.
 
Maybe...maybe you could hope...