three

Opposites Do Attract

proofread but i'm sure there are some words that i didn't manage to correct so sarreh nn;; and this is a little confusing sarreh again and for making you wait for weeks, sorryyyyyyyy (((and thank you for waiting \^^/ this is a long chapter and i just hope you'll end up liking it ;~~;


“Donghae!” He hears a loud snap by his mom that darts out his attention from the blonde teenager pacing back and forth of the lamp post outside.

Donghae shakes his head and blinks at his mother. “Yes?”

“You’ve been spacing out! Now let’s go, the visitors are waiting.” She hooks her arm with her son’s and proceeds on walking inside with her husband on her left.

Donghae feels a little tad bit intimated by the stiff atmosphere. Not like he haven’t been in a place like that ever since, but it’s rare and seeing all those wealthy people intently staring at them as if they are the most wanted criminals that’s about to be executed; as if they’re judging their soul by how they look like until it pierces them. He holds on his mother’s arm tighter, a sign that he’s feeling a brief nervousness.

Hyangsuk shushes him, and tells him not to worry. Donghae exhales with a hint of relief as he sees about two persons, about the same age as his parents, sitting on the table they’re going to, smiling and doing a small wave at them.

The woman, still with this perhaps an artificially colored black hair, has this face of someone he knew so well but he couldn’t just jump into a conclusion who it could have been. While the man beside her, with head almost bald, and those very chinky eyes. Both looked familiar, and the brunette wonders where have he ever seen them.

“Well, hello there,” The woman speaks. “Please have a seat.” She cackles a smile at them while the teen hears the man asking them how they have been and he asks himself why the heck his father is bro- that dude with a reply of, ‘we’ve been great, how about you?’ and the man replies the same.

The woman turns her gaze at him, and he feels his heart beat increases. “Hi, Donghae,” Her lips stretches into a grin as she places her palm above Donghae’s. “Do you still remember us?”

I swear to god, I’m going to bath myself with boiling water and just die if… “Dukboon eomma?”

“Oh my, honey!” Shrieking, she taps on her husband’s shoulder and points at Donghae with a trembling hand. “He remembers me!”

 

Someone prepare the boiling water, please.

 

The man pouts at him. “How about me, Donghae-yah?”

Said teen tilts his head a teeny-weeny-bit with a deep crease on his forehead as he explores his memory for names. “Kangwoon ahjussi?” The man disagrees but made encouraging hand gestures. “Closer, closer.”

“Seunghyun? Seunghun?”

“Closer, Donghae!”

“Nah, he doesn’t remember you.” His dad interrupts the conversation and sticks his tongue out. And I thought he’s the one who should educate you about manners.

“Shut up, Seungyeon. He remembers me.”

“Kangin? No, he’s my classmate—oh! Kanghun ahjussi, it’s you!” He exclaims in glee, on process is the man tackling him into a I-can-kill-your-future-generation-by-this-tight-type of hug. “I told you, Seungyeon, your son remembers this handsome man that swept of girls on their feet during his high school days!”

Seungyeon huffs and folds his arms, slyly smiling as he glares at Kanghun. “You mean that rotten face which swept girls away from you.”

“Hey! You’re just jealous because I have a larger fan club than yours!”

“You dickhead I have more fangirls!”

“They love me too!”

“They’re loyal to me, excuse you!”

The brunette is sandwiched between the petty arguement - with his father on the right and Kanghun on the left - and he really, really promises himself that his father better be ready for balls and torn apart once they're home, that , and please, pray for his eardrums too. On the other hand, the hug on his side tightens with every harsh jokes thrown, those two about to throw their fists to each other to shut the other ing up. Astonished is a ing understatement.

 

Knives, everyone?

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

As far as Donghae remembers…the first time he met those two was during a high school reunion his parents went at, that was about six years ago before he went to high school.

That was also the time he first met that dip who mistakenly took him as one of the crews and blaming him for getting his very expensive long sleeve classic pique something polo from Lacoste soaked with the strawberry milk he’s drinking – which he got somewhere in the table and since he’s thirsty…you get it – and it’s just so unlucky for him that it was actually that ’s milk (sounds so ing wrong but he's too busy stating the literal facts).

And so Hyukjae told him that he’s going to call the manager of the place the event was held at to have him fired. Donghae just scoffed and squirted the whole strawberry milk in that tard’s face, muttering, “Drink that, dickhead.”

Then there was high school, and he’s just so fortunate that Lee Dickjae was there seeking for revenge. Until in a few months, he felt a weird attraction to the previous raven-head, and it’s just that he suddenly found him hot when he smirks or when he gets annoyed or maybe when he calls in for Donghae with the words ‘yo baby wassup yo check me out’ – in which he’s sure that he learned from that genius English teacher, Kim Heechul.

Though the last time he met Hyukjae’s family was three years ago on their high school graduation, and invited them in a cheap but spacious restaurant for a celebration of their sons getting the diploma they’ve ever been wanting for the last three years of hard work. It was a ruckus, and Donghae will never ever want to go back in the memory of his head bathing with hot sauce.

 

And then he realizes.

 

Hyukjae’s parents.

Dinner with Hyukjae’s parents.

Hyukjae outside.

Dinner with Hyukjae.

AKSNAKJSNKAJNDKSAD!@^$%^%^%#$#

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

He drums his fingers on the table, looking a little anxious as he keeps his eyes fixed on his hand. With a bite on his lip, he looks at Dukboon with a questioning gaze. “I don’t want to be rude but…okay…let’s get straight to the point, why are we here?” The brunette tilts his head with a raised eyebrow, blowing on his cheeks.

“Straight to the point?” The woman pauses, slightly hesitating.  “Are you sure you want that Donghae?”

“Certainly.” He mumbles without second thoughts.

He hears his father faking cough beside him and the man turns his head to meet his stare. “You’re getting married.”

“With our Hyukjae.” Dukboon follows up, her face tinted with a nervous smile.

 

Huh?

 

Donghae tries to swallow the information. Marriage, Hyukjae, getting married, Hyukjae, you may now kiss the bride, I do, Hyukjae, married to Hyukjae, living in one roof with Hyukjae, sleeping with Hyukjae, hugging Hyukjae, cooking for Hyukjae, kissing, , marriage, Hyukjae, his crush.

.

.

“WHAT?!”

 

Well, man, that’s an expected reaction.

 

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

“Mom and Dad” – he clenches on his jaw, gritting his teeth so hard that it hurts – but he doesn’t care because apparently, a news of you getting married to your crush-of-six-years is definitely something bigger than an aching jaw – “give me an appropriate reason of why I should accept this marriage.” He stares into a blank space in the illuminated wall with an opened mouth.

His mother sighs and extends her arms to rub his hand while Seungyeon gives his shoulder a squeeze, and his back a few pats. “We just—“ Hyangsuk starts. “we just want to be assured that you will be in good arms, from now on.”

“But I am under your care!” He cries that it surely makes him appear that he doesn’t want the marriage – because he really doesn’t want to, nor Hyukjae, he’s confident about that. He knows he probably should be glad instead of being so hurt about this rushed decision of him marrying his crush, but dude, let me just tell you that marriage is a big thing, even though it’s your crush – his point is that, it should happen through their own will! – and please, they’re like the only family who will do an arranged marriage in the current generation. It’s just so absurd and stupid and dumb – he can’t even think of proper definitions for arranged marriages anymore (and books with that of a plot that you're having an arranged marriage with a er).

“You wouldn’t know when will the persons you love will disappear. The moment you are now, you’re talking to them, and the next thing is that they’re going to be...gone. A human’s life is short, so we’re just assuring ourselves that you will be fine once we’re not here anymore.” His mother looks at him with those glassy and tender eyes, the ones that never fails to comfort him on times of troubles like this – but it’s kind of effective anyway, this time.

“Same for our Hyukjae.” Kanghun utters.

“Why do you guys make it sound like all of you are dying?” Donghae scowls and rudely does a huff.

Seungyeon replies, “We’re just making everything safe for your future.”

“By what? By doing this? You know, you aren’t making me an independent person at all – I don’t even know if you trust me with handling things by my own! All you do is to guide me and pester me about my future! Will you never even ask about my feelings, my opinions? I feel like a robot being controlled by mad scientists – like really, you guys are ing mad.”

 

Why is everything suddenly being so Korean Drama like?

 

“Donghae.” He hears a hiss on his side and an apology to the other party in which he’s sure is from his father.

Hyangsuk gets a bit teary, because her son obviously understood it the wrong way. She just wanted the best, for Donghae to be secure in someone’s authority who isn’t them. She just wants Donghae to be happy, also knowing the fact that her son has been liking her friends’ son for years – so she thinks this will resolve all the fears and insecurities they feel.

“No, no, baby. It’s not like that” – she lets out a desperate sob – “I just want you safe, and happy.”

The younger crosses his legs and folds his arms, rolling his eyes. “Who said Hyukjae can make me safe and happy?”

“For pete’s sake Donghae, you’ve been in love for him ever since high school!”

 

Well that’s an unexpected outburst.

 

Donghae stays frozen on his seat, and eyes are wide as his body is stiff. Apart from the fact that he’s kind of speechless, he’s actually thankful that he can still speak a few more words for his mother to understand that he just likes Hyukjae. “I don’t love—“

“Oh my, if it wasn’t for our queen of sass Lee Donghae in our table.”

There’s a mischievous snicker behind him, and then the next second Hyukjae has his arm on Donghae’s shoulders, pulling him closer that it makes Hyukjae’s new choice of perfume linger in his nostrils. He smells so unlike his feet, so damn holy.

Hyukjae misses the faint red on Donghae’s cheeks as he chokes Donghae by his neck a little and then the next next next second is his index finger bitten by those little but sharp teeth.

 

My, my, so uny.

 

“Well hello to you too,” Donghae smirks once Hyukjae removed his arm. “we’re getting married.”

“What a joke.”

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

“Do you remember the time when I asked you if you still want to marry him the time after we went home from celebrating your and this boy’s graduation?” Seungyeon tenderly smiles at the brunette, feeling satisfied when Donghae nods slowly for a few times. “I was so shocked when you told me that it was him—I wouldn’t have known, or maybe I would from your melting death glares at him and the strawberry syrup you used to soak his hair,” The man chuckles at the memory and gets too much into reminiscing his Donghae’s teenage days that his son’s threat of getting all of his credit cards if he keeps on going isn’t hear by his sharp ears. “Ahh, that was a big trouble, yet it’s the very first I saw you that happy, and so I let everything pass and just driven us home without any complaints.”

“Dad—“ Donghae does a fail attempt of stopping his father when Hyukjae shushes him, looking at Seungyeon in full of interest, telling Donghae that he better shut up because he wants to listen at the man’s story.

“And the night when we got home, you told me and I can still remember you fiddling with your own fingers, that moment I knew it was something important for you and that you’re nervous. You told me ‘Dad! It’s him!’. I wasn’t stupid, and I memorized you all too well, so I asked you if you still wanted to marry him, just like what you told me on your first year in high school, and you said yes.”

As soon as Seungyeon finishes his explanation, Hyangsuk speaks that cuts the short ear-breaking silence. “So we thought, you must have really loved him, and knowing that he’s Dukboon and Kanghun’s son, we will be assured that you’re in safe hands once you get married—you know, I’m just afraid of you marrying some kind of bastard who will just ually abuse you and all that cruelty he can show.”

“So you thought I’d like this? With the other party not really willing in this marriage?” Donghae says, with his straight-forward innards showing out.

Dukboon shows an anxious smile and says, “Our Hyukjae will be definitely willing to do this.”

Mommy.” The blonde firmly exclaims that silences her, though beside him is Donghae with his inner body spazzing at the cuteness of the endearment. He’s such a mama’s boy oh my god can he be even more adorable than this? He better not“Hey, you’re shaking a little.” Hyukjae states the obvious and hits Donghae’s side lightly with his elbow that send the younger out of his trance.

“No—it’s just that” Hyangsuk stutters and a tear about to fall from the corner of her eye. This is nothing of what she had expected. Maybe she’s such a big softie (not like Donghae isn’t) that she gets seriously affected when Donghae suddenly becomes straight-forward and a little harsh because this isn’t what her baby is. He’s understanding and considerate and full of smiles and maybe this is all he deserves to be happy—wait, he is considering Hyukjae’s feelings—but he’s making everything sound as if he’s about to hate his parents for doing a decision for his life without his consent. The reason is enough for him to be upset, yet, he can still back out in any other way so it is kind of an exaggeration if he ends up hating them with that reason.

“Donghae, answer me, do you still want to marry him?” His father whispers, but enough for the four of them to hear, yet with that one simple whisper, the tension inevitably increases.

Donghae stiffs on his seat, he can’t utter anything because he simply can’t answer the question himself. Does he still want to? Is he still the same Donghae from his high school?

He shudders at the thought of his college years and all the spazzes he had with his best friend about his petty crush. What a hypocrite you are, Lee Donghae. Okay, he’s still the same, fine, but he’s been silent to his parents about it ever since his days at the university started...so how?

 

All he needs is to summon up all of his courage to speak, and so he does. “For once in my life, let me emphasize this to you, mom, I don’t love him, okay? A crush stays as a crush and marrying him is one of my poor teenage fantasies that needs to be just left behind. I just find it absurd that you took everything seriously—and please, it’s three years ago. People change, and so as their minds.” He rambles, panting out as he thinks, I haven’t really changed, but hey, I’m being kind here and considering his feelings and for mine, too. Who knows, he may be one of those s I watched in movies who abuses their spouses, his face turns sour, besides, I have to save my sorry since there’s no ing doubt that I am ing busted.

It’s quiet, after that, no one has to say and to object. Each of the four stares at something that catches their eye; be it the floor, the table or the wonderful lights, anything.

A waiter comes carrying their orders, all in a good physique with a white button up shirt and bow tie, walking with a perfect posture as if trained for years to be that formal, and telling them to enjoy their meal. They smile at him, and Donghae says that they will, giving him a couple of words out of gratefulness.

Hyukjae slices his steak and stabs it with a fork, his mouth starting to devour the food. “Excuse me,” Hyukjae manages to mutter through his stuffed voice.

“Hyukjae! Your table manners!” He hears his mother dramatically speaking about how can’t he just control himself on the table and that her efforts of teaching him the proper manners have gone to waste.

The blonde only shakes his head with a sigh as he lays the fork on the plate. “What about my opinions regarding this matter?”

 

“Nah, shut up, Hyukjae and stop acting as if you’re a matured adult because as far as I know, you’re planning to turn the table and break the plates in approximately five seconds.”

“Doesn’t change the fact that you like me.”

off, I don’t.”

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

“Welcome home! Had a good day at—“

“Dad! Dad! Dad!” Sixteen-year-old Donghae assaults his poor father with shakes in both of Seungyeon’s arms as the teenager jumps in delight like a kinder receiving star for the very first time which in his father laughs at and says, “So you had a good day? Eh?”

“I haaaaaad a good day!” Donghae grins so wide that his eyes shapes into tiny crescents – he looks very much of an adorable kitty, if you’re stating the obvious. “So, dad, you see, my crush teased me again oh my god, he does that every single second and I just—I can’t even explain this, you know, I want to squeal every time we talk…and avoid mocking him back instead.”

His dad knew, ever since Donghae’s last year in middle school, that his son is biual. Of course he’s upset and there’s a little drama of Donghae locking his room’s door and not eating for three days (but he actually sneaks out every midnight for food), but it’s Donghae, his lovely, cheerful son Donghae that can turn his worst days the best with just a smile (in which his tiny, crooked teeth appears at) – and he can’t risk anything that will make his son unhappy in any way. He lets him be what he is, as long as he’s assured that his Donghae is happy and still the good person he grew up to be – he may be y and straightforward  but he will never leave you when there’s a problem and will instead encourage and give you strength to face it, he cares about people’s feelings first before his even though sometimes, those feelings disappoints him in some way, Donghae is someone who’s ready to help when you’re down; he’s just a little playful, but Seungyeon believes that his son is going to be a great person.

The man ruffles his brown hair and pats his back. “We’ll talk about your boyfriend later and don’t you dare leave every single detail because I am seriously judging if he’s good, but for now, take a bath first” – Seungyeon leans to Donghae’s neck and scrunches his nose – “you smell like sweat.”

“Fine—dad he’s not my boyfriend” – as Donghae quotes – “yet.”

 

 

“His name’s Lee Hyukjae. Six months older than me.”

“You want to marry him?”

Donghae spurts the cold water straight on the television. “WHAT?!”

“I’m asking you if you want to marry him.” Seungyeon crosses his legs, leaning his back on the sofa as he stares at Donghae’s back who’s looking for the towel to wipe the screen. “Well probably not now since both of you are just sixteen-year-olds, obviously later for about five to ten years after reaching your twenties.” He wanders in his thoughts that results him in babbling, that Donghae, in all honesty, didn’t missed any word said because, excuse him, it’s the talk of him marrying his mega crush.

“Tch, as if he will ask me to.”

“Who knows.” His father shrugs.

 

“Maybe yes.”

 

Three years after, Donghae tells his father that his high school buddies’ son Hyukjae is his living fantasy Lee Hyukjae. That bastard who drenched his hair in hot sauce—and Donghae thoughts are a mess as he’s half thinking about his confession to his father and half finding for ways to fix his damn beautiful, shining hair back to its original texture before the whole ing bottle of hot sauce was poured in his head, when the elder asks him, “Do you still want to marry him?”

 

Donghae’s answer stays the same.

 

tumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46tnsSOT1qdlkyg.giftumblr_mc46vvplUr1qdlkyg.gif

 

Donghae and Hyukjae’s parents bid their goodbyes to their sons, telling them to sort out and find a decision by themselves and not daring to run away because there’s the driver outside and ready to report any single thing that will happen that night—run away and no allowance for three months (and no y car for Hyukjae).

It is something beyond awkward, as Hyukjae is whistling and turning his head everywhere that catches his eye and Donghae, an expressionless face staring at the table with his right foot constantly tapping on the floor. They don’t know what to say or to spat out as a playful insult; basically tongue tied after the reveal and having a problem of making a proper decision.

“I told you, we’re getting married.” The brunette tries to light up the atmosphere.

“And it’s not a joke.” Hyukjae stares blankly at the sight behind Donghae—walls and walls.

The brunette nods in agreement as he props his chin on his palm, asking himself where he’s got the courage when he stared straight in Hyukjae’s eyes. “Well, we can just cancel it you know, they’re not forcing us, like duh let’s get home now.” Donghae attempts to stand up when Hyukjae grabs him by the arm.

The younger sits once more on the cushioned chair when his ear catches Hyukjae uttering something. “But you like me.” Donghae rolls his eyes at the obvious stupidity of the statement and tries to scold Hyukjae for being a bit of rude when he sees the other’s face showing that he’s worried and serious in talking out. “You sure you don’t want it?”

Donghae gets surprised at the sudden thoughtfulness, he never saw him like this, getting worried and concerned about him which makes Donghae confused. Hyukjae is everything but serious - or so he finds it hard to be serious and sincere just to get rid of the drama - that's what he thinks about Hyukjae's personality after six years of knowing the blonde. He believes that Hyukjae has a soft side - everyone has, besides - but he guessed that the other rarely shows it and keeps his thoughts inside instead. He is that type of person, and so he gets a shock when he looks upon Hyukjae with a troubled face, and that's because of him.

He never thought the other will be anxious about his own feelings. He likes this side of Hyukjae, of course, the one who worries about him, though at the same time, Donghae blames himself for being a masochist because he misses the Hyukjae (which showed up just about fifteen minutes ago, and he already misses it, how sweet).

 

Donghae furrows his brows in suspicion. “Are you Hyukjae?”


Silent readers are a no, no, no?