Almost

A matter of Life and Death

 

 
 
He was taught that beautiful, gorgeous things couldn't be alive. That any thing irradiating vital energy was embraced by stains of impurity,  gruesome stains that tainted all the immobile pulchritude. Who was he to question the truth? The unquestionable verity that most of human beings were ignorant to. Not that he didn't understand their ignorance; they were humans--living beings. 
 
He himself was what these horrible living beings would call "death". And, as he was Death, he was taught that everything that lacks life was beauty by a more imposing presence whom he better not refer to. He knows that "He" is the truth and that his own job is to make everything prettier when Time says so.
 
He ponders a while, seated in a snow covered rock outside a house, it was winter in the humans world. He actually loved this "season". The lifeless frozen water did wonders to a lot of things, plants were a good example. Watching how the threes grew cold, their leafs falling lifelessy on the snow was a marvellous view. Until the warm "summer" came and brought everything back to life, overflowing in energy and vitality. The mere thought of it made him cringe.
 
Oh. He unknowingly changed the subject of his thoughts, how careless. Where was he? Oh, Time.
 
He once was Time, Time and Death to be precise. But it brought him too much displeasure, after all, time did vanish vitality--but to new life forms it also brought a whole life. So he politely asked Him to take Time away from him. Now he was only Death and that made him "happy".
 
As he watched time pass, he also saw humans; little humans, pass by him. They were running, shouting and jumping on full joy, full of life. It sickened him.
 
"Today" was a boring and horrible day for him, watching all those moving humans put him in a bad mood but it also encouraged him to do his job. 
 
He closed his eyes and a few seconds later he heard a deafening screeching sound followed by some "thuds" of metal clashing and windows breaking. He let his eyes flutter open in joy and his doing left a full filling sensation in his whole "being".
 
A few meters away from him, a car was upside down, both occupants laid on the street. Bodies contorted in inhuman poses, blood pouring from various parts, eyes dull and expressions frozen forever in panic; beautiful. Absolutely stunning.
 
Death observed in amusement as other humans gathered around the dead bodies, expressions in horror, sorrow and full of morbid fascination as his black as midnight hair moved carelessly thanks to the wind. 
 
A "smile".
 
He loved his job.
 
An old woman cried while kids stood shocked, a man was dialling on his phone and a teen was complaining on how death had been following him and his friends.
 
He chuckled.
 
'I have been wandering aimlessly a long time you horrendous creature, I have absolutely not been behind your steps'.
 
But of course, his entertainment couldn't last long, as ironic as that sounded.
 
He felt how a warm feeling started surrounding everything, even embracing him. He scowled. He absolutely hated the warmness; in exception if it meant dying in a fire, that was oddly beautiful.
 
Not too long a blinding light could be seen, well, only by him. 
 
A tall, rigid form stood in front of him. He had a somewhat annoyed aura surrounding his face, and his bright brown-blonde hair was thrown back. Lips put on a line and eyebrows furred. 
 
"What did I told you of killing without reason or consent of Time?"
 
He should be asking for forgiveness and saying sorry, to the entity that taught him the absolute truth of his existence.
 
But oddly enough, he didn't feel like it. Not when the other didn't bother to visit him since a long, long time ago. 
 
"My desire holds more value than Time's. I am, after all, Death. So I decide who I embellish."
 
The other scowled.
 
"Nice to see you too, YiFan"
 
"Hold some respect, you troublesome entity"
 
"YiFan" was the Truth; he was all, but more importantly, he was Life. The last statement always had appalled him. How could someone understand the beauty of dead things and still be Life? How could he be so breath taking, and represent life? Vital energy that flows trough the universe? 
 
Simply stupid, yet it was the truth.
 
"ZiTao"
 
He shivered at the name, he didn't know why but Life called him that. And it brought a warm and loving sense of living to his being.
 
It pleased him as much as it disgusted him.
 
The other took one.
 
Two.
 
Three.
 
Four.
 
And five steps towards him and kneeled, warm palm caressing his cold cheek. It disgusted him how he liked to be touched by something so vivid, he wanted to cry and scream. To kill and run. 
 
But sadly, he liked it too much to do anything like that.
 
"Were you upset? Had you been missing me? That was why you were killing carelessly"
 
It angered him how right Life was, the sweet and deep sound of his voice made it worse. But he was right noneless, after all, he was also Truth.
 
But those ugly, vivid, brown eyes could also turn beautifully cold.
 
"Don't let false emotions control you ZiTao. You don't feel"
 
Those words were so precious yet they stung deeply. Not that mere words could actually hurt him, but still. Of course he could feel, it's just that he felt different from YiFan and other ones.
 
His void-like, dull, black orbs looked directly into YiFan's.
 
"For once,"
 
He leaned, until the hideous life emanating from the other was palpable for him. 
 
"You are wrong"
 
And he pressed his cold lips onto ones full of warmth, quickly retreating when he couldn't take anymore the contradicting feelings of repulsion and adoration.
 
The tall entity chuckled, and turned around. 
 
"I see,"
 
Just to start walking in direction of the car accident, when an ambulance got there and the paramedics managed to bring back to life the once beautiful unmoving bodies.
 
He heard a distant "See you around, beautiful".
 
life was everywhere yet he couldn't see Him.
 
ZiTao was beyond furious as he kicked some snow, screaming into the air. Not that anyone could hear him.
 
"YiFan you bastard!"
 
Life and Death could get along.
 
Just not for a long time.
 

 

Well, that was chapter one. I apologise for any typo and if you are a little confused (but this is easy to follow so I don't think that's the case) somethings get explained on later chapters.

Until next chapter, readers uwu