Chapter 3

The Dare

The silence was deafening.

I looked down the hallway, trying to remember how to breathe. My eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness of the house and I saw a staircase leading up to the second floor. Doorways to my left and right led off to other rooms and I could dimly see an archway at the end of the hall which could lead to the kitchen.

The smell of stale filled my nose, adding to my fear. Air whistled through a cracked window and I jumped up, scurrying backwards and hugging the door. Slowly I moved until I felt  the doorknob hitting my spine.

A scream rose from my pocket, Jumping, my spine hit the doorknob again harder this time and I loose a list of profanities. Rubbing my spine gingerly I looked at my phone which had turned against me too.

Message from Taeyon :

~ Can't believe you went in ! We'll stick around for a few hours; make sure you don't chicken out !

Hand in the doorknob I froze.

I couldn't go back out. I never lived it down. They were my best friends since birth.  They've never been afraid to let other knows about your embarrassing secrets.

When we were seven  Taeyon dared me to eat a worm. Not wanting to look like a baby. I quickly put it in my mouth swallowing it whole. It hadn't even felt that gross. The next day everyone in our class was calling me worm girl.

Sighing I pressed my forehead against the door.  I need to stop letting them dare me into things.

Stepping away from the door and I turned back around cautiously. Nothing.

Still hugging the wall, I stepped into the room with my left foot. It was the living room.  A large piano sat near the windows, covered with dust. Couches were arranged around a small fireplace which was filled with litter and junk from previous breakins. The room smelt faintly of ash and strangely rust.

A little voice in my head whispered, I wonder if that junk food was their last meals.

Shut up BRAIN !

The center of the room was left open, almost like an area to dance. In it's day it would have been a pretty room.

Not game to venture further in the house, I settled. There was nothing completely spooky about this room. I would just stay here until morning.

Easy ! As I sat down I noticed a fire poker lying on the floor near the couch.  Grabbing it, I held it to my chest. It wasn't much but having a weapon made me feel a little better.

Only a little bit.

Time went by slowly. I looked around in the room, holding my poker close, trying to get a feel what the house once was. There were no photographs on the mantel piece. A broken mantle clock sat in the center, the glass broke it's face. Old statues of ballerinas lay broken in pieces, their legs and arms scattered.

The curtains for the windows were full of holes, no longer hiding anything from the outside world. The couches were sunken, springs visible in the seats and large holes in the back rest. Stains covered what was left of the material but I refused to let my brain wonder what they could be.

There was nothing in the room that remained whole. Even the piano was worn, the black polish faded from dust and time. The keys were broken and jagged, their white now a dark brown from dust. 

An urge investigate the house more came over and I quickly squashed it. Oh, no you don't brain, I don't need your " bright " ideas. I was safe in this room. No snooping for me. 

Exhaustion seeped into my limbs, my eyes starting to drop. I didn't want to sleep, but after sitting for two hours I could no longer fight it. Curling into a ball, I rested my head on my knees letting my eyes close. 

The clock strike midnight and I sighed, only six more hours to go.  The chiming continued as my sleep addled brain struggled to restart, trying to tell me this was wrong. 

The clock started working.  It was not working before. I remember looking at it, it was broken. Glancing up, I looked at the clock, watching the second hand tick lazily in circles making my insides freeze. this had to be Taeyon's working ! I must have drifted off and she snuck in & did something to it.

My scumbag brain kept saying that was not possible.

"OKAY ! Very funny Guys ! " I said loudly

My sleepiness was gone, I stood up, my knuckles white around the fire poker.

" You got me ! Now stop it ! "

The clock stopped chiming as a minute passed and I spun around trying to se how the girls had gotten in, listening for their laughter.

Checking my phone, I felt dread pit in the bottom of my stomach.

No reception. Two hours ago I had full coverage. What the HELL ??!

The air in the room go icy and my breath started to become a fog. I'd seen enough supernatural shows to know this was never a good sign.

Turning slow, I heard nothing but a roar of blood in my eardrums, thumping rapidly in a frantic beat.

A young girl stood in the entryway, watching me.

Long red hair, fell into her waist. Her clothes look like something from the nineties with some problem. 

They were filthy and covered with blood. She watched me waiting. Probably waiting for me to scream. Unfortunately my brain picked this moment to abandon me and I stood there, frozen with fear.

Was she here in a dare as well ?

When I didn't make a noise, she stepped into the room hesitantly, looking around before whispering fiercely, sending chills down my spine.

"YOU NEED TO LEAVE, GET OUT NOW ! "

As she stepped closer the moonlight touched her skin, and I saw it. 

A large gaping hole in the center of her chest, dripping blood.  Finally my brain worked and I scream. 


Chapter 3 Updated ^^

Hope you like it  :