The 'Love' and The 'Lost'

A Thousand White Roses

Yesung POV

“oppa, please stop! I can’t hold it anymore!” she laughs under me and tries to escape from my tickle. She lies on the grass, under the tree in the hospital’s backyard. Luckily, not so many people visit this yard.

“I won’t stop until you say the magic word.” I say while laughing with her.

“okay, okay… hahaha, I’ll say it. Please stop it!”

“say it now!” I keep tickling her, not caring her –now- teary eyes. As long as I know that they are tears of happiness.

“I love you … Kim Jongwoon, and I’m yours, forever.” She says those words with small voice.

“what? I can’t hear you clearly. Louder please.” I more. I can see pink tint on her cheeks begin to form.

“I love you, I love you Kim Jongwoon, and I’m yours forever.” This time she yells it loudly. I can’t help but smile to myself. I stop tickling her immediately and hug her tight.

“you’ve say it. From now on, don’t ever leave me okay?”

“don’t worry oppa. I’ll be by your side forever.” I pull back from the hug. We just stare at each other’s eyes for a while. “but … if someday I’m missing, you just have to put a thousand white roses on this tree. In a second, I’ll be there. You know I love them, right?” she continues with child-like words. I chuckle at her before hug her back.

“I hope I’ll not have to do that. But, babe. Do you love flowers more than you love me?” I make a pout on my face just like she usually does when she wants me to do something. I don’t know but it always works on her. Let’s just try on me.

At first, she rubs my cheek. I guess it works. But wait, she suddenly bursts into laugh. Ugh, I fail miserably.

“oppa, don’t pout like that. It doesn’t suit you.” She laughs harder. This girl is really. If she wasn’t the girl I love, I would leave her already. I put on a mad face, it makes her stop laughing.

“aish oppa. I’m sorry. I just can’t stand to see your old face doing a pout. It’s annoying.” She keeps insulting my face. Wait? My old face??

“ya! Watch your mouth, young lady. I’m not that old!” I turn my head to another direction. I hope she will persuade me to forgive her. 1 minute, 2 minutes… nothing happens. Is she leaving me here? But how could she?

I turn my head back to see her right in front of my face, bringing shock all over my body.

“yaa~! You shock me out!” I hold my heart that was about to pop out.

“oppa~” she says with a goofy smile. Suddenly she leans in to kiss my lips smoothly. “don’t be mad at me, ne? you know it was just a joke.” Now she’s the one who pouting.

“I’m still mad, you know? You can’t make up by just give me a light kiss.” I look away from her and cross my arms.

“then what should I do to make you forgive me?” she says with such a cute voice. Really, don’t use your aegyo on me! You know I can’t stand it!

“buy me a bibimbap and I’ll forgive you.” I say like a little kid asking for a toy. It makes her laugh with her cute eyes smile. Really, I would die to see those beautiful eyes.

“Since another patient is waiting for you, I’ll buy you a bibimbap while you’re working. Okay Dr. Kim?” she stands up, so do I. She then gives me a light kiss on cheek.

“thank you baby. You know, I was just kidding.” Caress her soft cheek gently.

“that’s okay. I know you’re hungry, so I am. We’ve been spending our dinner break to meet up.” We both chuckle remembering our stupid decision to just ditch dinner to meet up.

“well then. I’m going now. bye baby.” We share a sweet kiss before she heads outside the hospital to buy some bibimbap. I check my watch. It’s 10 pm already. Ah, I have a surgery to do! I hurriedly get in the hospital.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

God! it’s a complicated surgery! It’s just been an hour since I got in through the surgery room door, and now I’m starting to cut here and there. Suddenly, I see a nurse gets in and comes near me.

“Dr. Lee, sorry to interrupt, but I have an emergency situation!”

“Later, I’m still doing this one!” I say without taking a glance at her. A tiny mistake on this, and it all will be ruined.

“it’s about Sunkyu-ssi … “

“just tell her to wait a second…” I haven’t finish my sentence when she cuts me off.

“I’m aware that she has no more second … “ hearing this, I’m stunned. I turn my head at her now.

“what is that suppose to mean?!” I ask angrily. Not at Sunkyu of course. And not at this nurse either.

“you better come with me now before it’s late!” without hesitating, I ask my assistant to change my place while I’m following this nurse to the emergency room. Wait, emergency room? I’m starting to have a bad feeling about this.

We get inside. Right after I take a step, I hear a yell and a loud cry.

“NO~!!! this isn’t happen! Sunkyu please wake up!” my eyes suddenly feel the urge to cry. In no time, I’m already in his side. He is Joon, one of mine and Sunny’s close friend. He’s mourning over a lifeless body next to him. There lied a girl’s body with blood all over her white suit. She was none other than my Sunkyu! my sunshine, my love, my life!!

“Sunkyu~!!! please wake up baby!!! Don’t leave me! Tell me that you’re just joking! Please I beg you to wake up!!! Sunkyyuuu~~!!” I cry out my heart loudly. This is the scariest bad dream I’ve ever had. I want to wake up soon! I don’t want to lose my Sunkyu!

“baby~ please wake up…. I’m begging you. I promise I’ll do anything if you’re awake.” My voice is getting weaker. I keep shaking her body like I used to do to wake her up every morning. She’s just sleeping, not leaving!

I kiss her lips gently just in case she will be awake when she feels my lips on her. But it’s no use. She’s still and not even shows a tiny move.

“Yesung-ah … calm down. Don’t be like this. Sunny will not go peacefully if she sees you in this condition.” Joon hugs me and comforts me. How am I supposed to calm down when I see my precious one lying there lifeless?! I was about to marry her!!

Author POV

It was been a week since Sunkyu’s left. Since then, Yesung never came to the hospital, or doing something. He just stayed at home and mourning over and over again. He didn’t even eat. He seemed so lifeless with pale face, lack of sleep and weight loss. All he did just spacing out, replaying Sunkyu’s picture in his mind. Every time he thought about Sunkyu, he would feel guilt over him and ended with tears. He heard that Sunkyu was crushed by a truck when she was crossing the street after buying 2 boxes of bibimbap. Until her death, 2 boxes of bibimbap were in her hands. It made him feel guiltier. She died because of him, because of his stupid joke before. He would torture himself just in hope he would pay for what he did to Sunkyu. And one more thing that made him feel drown in guilt, was that Sunkyu died 10 seconds before he got inside the emergency room. Sunkyu was calling his name until her last breathe but I couldn’t be there and picked my damned patient over her!

Suddenly, he remembered about the thing Sunny said. About a thousand white roses. A smile crept on his face. He stood up and quickly went to the hospital.

He was in the hospital now. Suddenly someone stopped his step, it was Joon.

“Bro, it’s been a week already. Her organs were already donored to the patients that need it, just like what she wanted before she died. And finally, you’re coming back to this hospital. I’m beyond glad to see you here.” He patted Yesung’s back. Yesung didn’t answer. It was true that Sunkyu wanted to give all her organs if she died.

“trust me, you’re not the one being left. Many people feel lost, and so do I! I’ve been her best friend ever since we were in diapers.” Joon looked down and sighed before walked away. Yesung continued his step until a nurse called him.

“Dr. Kim, we need a doctor for a surgery. I hope willing to because this patient is waiting for you since days ago.” The nurse spoke carefully, aware that Yesung might say no. But instead he nodded.

“alright, get it prepared!”

While doing the surgery, all in his mind was Sunkyu. Her image was the only thing he could think of. The way she pouted, she smiled, laughed, and cried. Even when she did aegyo. He lost his focus and didn’t follow the sketch of his patient’s. He just thought about the face he wanted to see so badly, his Sunkyu.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

It was the 3rd week since her left. Yesung was almost done with his roses. Finally, he hung the last one, the thousandth rose. He stepped back and smiled to see the roses on the tree. He shut his eyes closed, feeling the night wind and hearing to them. He waited for a miracle that would bring Sunkyu back.

“it’s so beautiful.” He opened his eyes when he heard a girl’s voice in amazement. He turned around and saw her, a girl in white dress with familiar face. The face he missed. He put on his widest smile and ran toward her. He hugged her tightly and tears streamed down from his eyes.

“Sunkyu~ I miss you so badly … “