You're as Cold as Ice

You're as Cold as Ice

The rest of the evening you had done your best to avoid him and it seemed he had the same plan. Soon you were one week later and all the events of that night were mostly pushed away into the back of your mind, completely unimportant. After all, you had other things to worry about. That night a big event was on schedule for the catering business. You had to prepare quite a lot since you were in charge of the desserts table. And by the start of the evening it turned out you had to be a waitress too.  You were stressing. You had no idea who organized the party, probably some company with a bunch of idols or a fancy party with actors and models. Anyway, there was a lot of pressure on you but you were determined to make the evening a success.

Several hours later you were standing there with a plate filled with glasses of champagne. You let your eyes go over the guests. You had been right; the room was filled with famous people. While other co-workers of you were practically fainting because of the presence of someone idols, you felt unaffected by it and calmly made you way through the crowd with your plate. “Can I offer you a drink sir?” you asked politely, waiting till he had turned around to face you. But then the sight of the man in front of you made you feel like someone just dropped a bucket of ice water over you. Himchan. His eyes grew wider and wider as he realized who you were. Backing down instantly, you momentarily forgot every thought about being professional and fled for the kitchen.

This wasn’t good, this wasn’t good at all. You were convinced this would ruin the entire evening and you would get fired. You had no idea how he felt about that night in the club or how he was now reacting to your presence. Would he hate you for the things you did? Did you hate him for what he said? You knew you didn’t. Annoyed with him? Yes, you definitely were. But another part of you had made your heart jump up when you saw him. The image of him seconds ago was printed into your brains. Even when you closed your eyes in hopes of calming down, you saw him in his red suit with black V-neck shirt underneath plastered onto the inside of your eyelids. ‘Damn. Damn. Damn.’ You thought to yourself, desperately trying to regain your composure. After quite a while, you succeeded.

With newfound confidence you made you way back into the room, walking to the desserts to re-arrange them properly. ‘People can get so messy, even when putting food onto their plates.’ You thought , trying to think of anything except for that specific person in the room. “You look really hot as a waitress.” A deep, low voice said behind you; feeling his warm hands touching your waist. Your body felt tense as you turned around and pulled away. “And what do you think you’re doing?” you hissed, practically whispering. If anyone heard this you would definitely lose your job. “I’m giving you a compliment.” He answered with his usual cheeky grin. You rolled your eyes. “Oh wow, I’m so flattered.” You snapped, instantly walking away from him with another platter. Chincha, a hot waitress? Last thing you wanted was to be part of his creepy roleplaying fantasies or something.

“I think he got the message.” You mumbled to yourself when you were once again working at the desserts table a while later. So far Himchan had tried his best to stay away, making you feel a whole lot more comfortable. Meanwhile someone started a speech, talking about the future of the company. Your eyes glided over the people present, stopping on the man in the red suit. Okay, so maybe Himchan looked rather y in that suit, or with his dark hair styled like that. Your eyes glided over him slowly, he was focused on the speech anyway. Though suddenly an unfamiliar voice made you jump up. “Enjoying the view?” He asked; you almost dropped a glass due to the surprise. You stared at the blonde boy with blue streaks in his hair in front of you, you recognized him as one of Himchan’s bandmembers. “Mweo?” you reacted, looking back to your plates. “No worries, no one else saw.” He said with a boyish chuckle. You glared at him “Why are you even here?” you asked him, bothered by the fact that he had been right about what you had been doing. “Aish ____—noona, why are you acting so cold?” he asked you with a sigh. “How do you even know my name?” you replied curiously; ignoring his question. “Hyung asked your boss.” He answered with a shrug, while you boiled with annoyance. “Ugh, is he stalking me now? Creep.” You sneered, trying to focus on anything except Zelo’s face. “See, you’re doing it again. Why are you so cold and mean?” he asked you, making you stop whatever you were doing and turn around to face him. “Well, he asked for it. He thinks he can get my attention by acting like a jerk and saying I look hot as a waitress? Well, I’m not that kind of girl okay? I’m not as stupid to fall for a guy like that, not again. It only means trouble! They are all the same!” you blurted out. You were slightly blushing when you realized how much you just gave away about yourself. “Hyung’s not like that. It’s just how he acts when he doesn’t know how to act.” Zelo replied, making a face when he realized how weird his words came out. “You know what I mean ___-noona.” He sighed when you stared at him in confusion. Then you realized you somehow did get what he meant. What if Himchan’s reasons for acting like that were the exact same reasons that you acted all cold towards him? “Besides, the hot thing is just his derpy way of saying he likes you.” Zelo added with a small smile, making you let out a small ‘oh’ in surprise. “Just, don’t judge him right away noona, he’s an okay guy…really.” the boy added, making you nod slightly. “Perhaps. I… I don’t know really. Mianhae.” You replied, sighing loudly. You honestly didn’t know what to think of this. Part of you wanted to believe all of it, the other felt suspicious. “Fine I tried.” Zelo said, before giving you a happy smile and walking away. You waved slightly with a sweet smile, before returning your attention to the crowded room… and meeting eyes with the cold gaze of Himchan. It shocked you and made you run for the kitchen once more.

You were more than grateful when your boss told you to go down to the basement to get more ice. Down there was a huge freezer that contained all the extra food. It was a relief to be away from the crowd for once, have a moment to relax for a little bit and forget about everything that already happened that evening. You were feeling confused, tired and most of all bothered by that confusion. It really wasn’t a good combination. Slightly humming to yourself, you searched through the huge freezer in hopes of finding the specific bag of crushed ice your boss asked for. “What was that exactly?” his voice said; you recognized Himchan’s voice instantly, yet you still jumped up about half a meter or so. “Holy sh- Damn, you scared me!” you brought out, your hands on your chest as you tried to calm yourself. He was staring at you, looking rather angry. “What was what?” you brought out, since he apparently waited for an answer to his question. “With Zelo! What was that?” he added, glaring at you. “Ehrr, a talk? What else?” you replied rather dryly. He inched forward, taking your wrists. “A talk?! Well wasn’t that a nice talk then! You really got along didn’t you? Apparently it’s not that hard to be nice to my dongsaeng isn’t it?” he almost yelled. You felt yourself fueled with anger and it helped you to pull your arms away from him. “Yeah maybe because he isn’t such an !” you yelled at him, trying to walk past him; out of the freezer. He instantly turned around slamming the door shut. “I’m an ? Then what does that make you!?” he yelled back. Though you hardly heard his words, you were violently pulling the door to make it open, but it wouldn’t move an inch.

“I can’t open it.” your voice was weak and panicky. “Oh so now you lost your witty responses?” he said in annoyance. “Aniyo you idiot! I said I can’t open the freaking door! We’re locked in here because of you!” you yelled back, watching his eyes go wide as he reached for the door. “Oh crap.” He said, pulling it harder and harder. It seemed you two were actually trapped in this freezer. “Okay, no panicking, I’m sure one of my members will soon wonder where I am and search for me. We’ll just have to wait!” he said, sounding surprisingly calm and rational. The opposite of you at the moment, of course. “Oh ‘just wait?’ ? Easy for you to say, you are wearing a warm suit and I’m only wearing a damn waitress outfit!” you snapped, glaring at him in his suit that looked so warm and comfortable at the moment. You angrily walked away from him and sat down the ground, leaning against a wall. “Here.” His voice said, making you look up. He had undressed himself and was now holding his suit’s jacket in front of you. “Take it.” he said again, a warm look in his eyes. You instantly grabbed it, putting it on and wrapping it around you. Sighing out loud because of the nice warmth that momentarily surrounded you, you had a pleasant smile upon your face. Himchan sat down next to you.

“Why are you even doing this? I’ve only been mean to you…” you said weakly, looking at him from the corner of your eyes. “Ahh well, I guess I haven’t been a Prince Charming either.” His reply sounded. “Well that’s the least you can say.” You then said, thinking he had been more than just far away from Prince Charming. “Mweo? What’s that supposed to mean?!” he asked, glaring at you.  “You really were a jerk actually, just going under my skirt like that. Or saying I look hot as a waitress! What kind of compliment is that?!” You replied, again annoyed with what happened. “Oh come on, you asked for it! Besides, you really do look good in that outfit!” he defended himself. You rolled your eyes and wanted to come back with a witty reply about how you most certainly didn’t ask for it. But then Zelo’s words came back into your head and you giggled. “Now what are you giggling about?” he complained, staring at you. “Zelo said the comment on my outfit actually meant you like me.” You looked at him as soon as you replied, watching his face go confused and then back to slightly annoyed. “Remind me to kill him once we get out of here.” He sighed, running his hand through his hair. “So it’s true? You like me?” you asked, eyes big and round as you stared at him. “Uhmm, I guess…Sort of…I…” He sighed and gave you a guilty look, it made your heart ache slightly; making it feel like it was melting. “But you hardly know me…” you said quietly. “It’s not like you gave me much chances to get to know more.” He replied; sounding a bit irritated with your reply. You had no idea what to say to that. Could it be that he really liked you? “Then wh-wha- what is it that you like about me?” you asked, feeling slightly nervous because of your own bold question and finding it hard to talk because of the cold. You had to admit you were also afraid to hear his answer. Though then he chuckled.

“I like the way you that cherry.” He replied with a huge grin, making you groan out loud. You really didn’t need to be reminded of that. “And I like how you danced to the music, completely enchanted by it and dancing like no one is watching. I like how you grin to yourself when people made a fool of themselves in that club, I like how you laughed with your friends, I like the way you flip your hair when you..” “Okay, I get it.” you cut him off, blushing like crazy because of his long answer. “Wait, you know what I like the most?” he asked, smiling happily at you. “Aniyo…” you replied, preparing yourself for more embarrassment, although you really wanted to hear the answer. “My heart practically jumped out of my chest when I saw how sweetly you smiled at Zelo, so friendly, so warm…so pure. I can only wish there will be a time you smile at me like that. Because then I’ll definitely kiss you.” He said, his voice firm though he had to take a deep breath afterwards; it was getting harder to talk for the both of you. Still, in that moment you knew Zelo had been right, Himchan was okay… more than okay really.

A comfortable silence dawned between the both of you. You really didn’t know that to say and the cold was getting to you. It was getting harder to ignore. You shivered, feeling how your entire body was shaking. “Come.” Himchan said, gesturing for you to sit on his lap. You gave him a suspicious look. “We’re freezing _____-ah, it’s best if we stay close; to warm each other up.” He said, you noticed he was having trouble to speak and was breathing rather rapidly.  Apparently his last monologue about how he liked you had worn him out. Deep down you remembered that was a sign of mild hypothermia; it wouldn’t be long until both of your body temperatures would be so low it was dangerous. Not to mention the air supply would run out in a little while. You knew warming each other up wouldn’t be exactly possible anymore, both of you were too cold for that and your own body was already far too busy with keeping yourself alive. Yet you still followed his orders and went to sit on his lap sideways, face against his chest as he wrapped his arms around you. You whole body felt stiff and it was hard to move. Fortunately, the feeling of his chest against your cheek and his tight embrace comforted you and your eyes began to fall down. “Stay awake ____-ah” he whispered slowly. You nodded weakly. Yes, you couldn’t fall asleep. Not now. Not here.

How long was it now? Half an hour? An hour maybe? Or perhaps you two were already in here for two hours now? You had no clear answer or a cellphone to give you an answer. You blinked slowly, now and then looking up to meet Himchan’s eyes. His lips were getting blue and you felt bad for taking his jacket. Unfortunately you couldn’t find the power anymore to take it off and offer it to him again. Things were getting blurry. You couldn’t exactly remember if you were to stay awake or not. Why would you stay awake anyway? Sleeping was good… Gazing up, you noticed Himchan’s eyes were closed. Oh, he was already sleeping? Wait, wasn’t that bad? Your thoughts were getting sluggish, unclear, fuzzy almost. Then suddenly part of you wanted to shake him, wake him up again, save him. But you couldn’t…”Him—Hiimmch..” nothing more came out. Then a loud bang and screams made you jump up. Or rather, you would’ve jumped up if your body still reacted properly to it.

Zelo’s face appeared in front of you, or was it Yongguk? You couldn’t really see it that well. Unfamiliar men appeared and tried to pry you off Himchan; you didn’t want to let go. “Let him go noona, the doctors need to help him.” Zelo’s voice reached your ears. And before you knew it, he was gone. Were you gone too? Everything was black.