The Child

Baby Photos

 

"Kai, look."

Jongin turned around to see himself face to face with his friend's cellphone screen. It had in bold letters across the screen: MY CHILD. It was such a corny title, that Jongin almost laughed from realizing that it was on his friend's phone. Jongdae wasn't the kind of person to have those kind of things.  

"What is it?" Jongin asked, trying to hold back a laugh.   

"My brother downloaded it for me," Jongdae said.

"Which brother?"

"The one with the girlfriend. They're pretty serious and they tried this out for bit of fun to see what their child would look like," Jongdae replied with a chuckle. 

"Um...I don't know. Aren't those apps stupid?" Jongin asked.

"No- well yes, but it's still fun. It is funny though because the child ended up looking like Aunty Jei," Jongdae laughed. "Seoyoon pretended to be mad."

"Okay...what do you want me to do?"

"Take the phone and eat with carrots and a glass of coke- no, you dimwitted dancer! Try it out! I tried it out and it ended up looking like Wonder Girls' Sohee. I think I have a chance." Jongdae winked and slif the phone into Jongin's hand. 

"Um...I guess why not," Jongin replied hesitantly. He pulled out the phone and hid it under the desk. The app asked for a photo of the user and Jongin vainly took a handsome selca of himself. He wanted a good angle. As much as he believed that the app was completely fake, he still wanted good results.

Then the camera asked for a picture of your girlfriend. Jongin had no girlfriend so he clicked the button saying, 'No girlfriend.' The app then told him that they were just going to show his baby based from only his face. Jongin sarcastically thought, 'aeual child?' He pressed 'enter' and there was a loading bar. It was taking a while, so he glanced up to find Kyungsoo, who he saw was drawing something on the whiteboard. Whenever the history teacher was gone (which was pretty much always), he would always go up to the whiteboard and draw. Even though he wasted all the markers and hogged it to himself, he always drew something pretty, so no one complained.

Jongin noticed that Kyungsoo was getting into American graffitti and was now writing a classmate's name.

"Woah, D.O!" someone shouted when they saw the art. Jongin smiled at Kyungsoo's known name. Jongin reckoned that majority of the school had already forgotten his real name. But Jongin was one of the few that refused to call Kyungsoo 'D.O'. Same with Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo refused to call Jongin by his nickname, 'Kai'. Jongin heard that the names were started by a few Chinese exchange students.

"What do you think?" Kyungsoo asked. The classmate raised two thumbs and then Kyungsoo turned to Jongin for his approval. "Jongin, you like?"

"I-"

*vibrate*

"Hold on a second," Jongin said as he glanced back at the phone screen.

Then there was a message asking him if he wanted to view the photo. Jongin clicked 'Yes' and then a photo popped up on the screen.

 

 

On one side of the story, Jongin's 'child' was a girl. A very, very, very, very pretty girl, actually. She had a daisy chain on her head, she was wearing a white dress and had her hands up by her chest. 

But that was only one side. 

It gets better. 

Much, much, much...muchmuchmuchmuch better.

Because his daughter, looked like-

 

"KYUNGSOO?!"

 

Everyone stared at Jongin when he suddenly jumped onto his chair, while looking at the phone in shock. 

"What the hell?!" Jongin shouted. Then he was going to throw the phone at the ground, but then Jongdae held him back, telling him repetitively that the phone belonged to him. 

"What happened?" Jongdae asked. Then he looked at the phone and his face went blank for a few seconds. After a while, he burst out laughing and started whacking everything in sight.

"You find this funny?! This app !" Jongin cried. 

"Why so stiff?! This is hilarious! Oh God, remember that time in third grade, how we were teasing you and Kyungsoo about how you guys met?"

", don't remind me. I don't need those kind of memories."

"Hey there, pretty lady. Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?" Jongdae recited as he leaned against a table suavely. Jongin mimicked strangling him and pulled a face. "And do you remember what Kyungsoo said?"

"Please don't remind me," Jongin groaned.

"Yeah, my face took most of the impact," Jondae said anyway. Jongin had to admit that the look on Kyungsoo's face when they had first met was just funny. He looked really confused.   

"One day, you will die in my hands," Jongin threatened playfully before trying to reach out for the phone. 

"Nah-uh! I'm going to print this photo out and laugh over it for the rest of my life. This is so ironic!" Jongdae laughed and wiped an imaginary tear from his eyes.

"Don't you even dare-"

"Well look at that! Sent to the library printer!" Jongdae taunted, then he rushed off before Jongin even expected it. Jongin was about to go rush after him, but then he suddenly felt someone grab his hair and pull him back. He knew only one person grabbed his hair; Kyungsoo. 

"What do you want?!" Jongin cried, but then a the image of his 'child' replaced Kyungsoo's face and then he freaked out and pushed Kyungsoo away. 

"What's wrong?" Kyungsoo asked. 

"Ah nothi-" But then Jongin suddenly got an image of Kyungsoo holding a baby - their baby Oh my God, Jongin! Guys don't have kids, you stupid ! This is so weird.

"I'm feeling a bit weird. I need to get something off my mind, but first, I need to go kill Jongdae," Jongin said. 

"Oh...tell him that I have his turtle in my bag," Kyungsoo said. 

"He has a turtle?" Jongin asked. 

"Yeah, it's a agrionemys horsfieldii. Russian tortoise, if you prefer."

"You're weird, Soo."

"Didn't we already establish that the day that I painted a replica of the boys' bathroom door and all the guys were confused on which door to open?"

"You did that?"

"No, I didn't."

"But you just said s-"

"Then why are you asking?"

"I just can't with you, Soo. I'm going now," Jongin sighed in frustration an walked out of the classroom. 

 

"Jongin~"

"Holy , you scared the hell out of me, Dae," Jongin said as he clutched his heart. Jongin was sneaking into the library to go and ambush Jongdae, but Jongdae, being the ninja he is, bet Jongin to it.

"What are you doing here?" Jongdae asked. 

"To be honest, I don't know. Libraries aren't my thing, but I think strangling you is a good enough reason to come here," Jongin said. Then he grabbed Jongdae's neck and started shaking him around. "Okay, I feel a bit better."

"Are you here to see the photo?" Jongdae asked. 

"Are you kidding me? I want to see it deleted." Jongin folded his arms. 

"Ah...sure," Jongdae said and deleted the photo off his phone. 

"And, I want the print outs thrown out. I don't want them in your hands. It makes me nervous," Jongin said as he scratched the back of his neck. Then Jongdae smirked, before taking out the print outs and ripping them apart. He patted Jongin before smiling creepily.

"Okay, they are no longer on me. I promise on our friendship."

"I thought we were frenimies?"

"It counts for that too."

"Well, I trust you for some stupid and probably life threatening reason, so I'll be leaving now."

"Go and reunite with your pretty lady," Jongdae shouted as Jongin walked out. There was the sound of Jongin kicking something outside and Jongdae laughed. 

"I thought was went over this!" Jongin shouted from outside. 

 

"Mmmm...Jongin...hello?" *tug tug* 

"Huh?" Jongin looked up to see Kyungsoo tugging at his hair. 

"I was working on something and I want you to look at it," Kyungsoo said. Then he walked over to the white board and grabbed the frame of it. With very little effort, he lifted it off and then carried it over to Jongin. When Jongin looked over Kyungsoo's shoulder, he saw that the original whiteboard was still there. Kyungsoo had pretty much made a replica whiteboard on a large canvas. 

How cool is that?

"Wow, Kyung...it's surely one of a kind," Jongin replied as he scratched his head. 

"I had this sudden idea. I was actually going to paint a student on the wall, but then I would have to paint over it and those kind of things made me sad. How do you feel about it so far?" Kyungsoo asked. Kyungsoo asked weird questions. How do you feel a painting? Um...the texture is quite scratchy I guess? 

"I'm getting some intense emotions from looking at it, Soo. Really, really, really intense," Jongin replied with a funny smile. 

"It's just a whiteboard, Jong."