Chapter 2

The Journey [hiatus]

 

“Class, now open your book page 45,” Mrs. Kate, one of the Math teachers, was giving her command to the class, when Mrs. Claire asked her to get out for a while.

“She’s Jessica Jung, the new student here,” she said as she held Jessica closer to her. “I hope you can help her to introduce herself, Mrs. Kate.”

“Alright Mrs. Claire,” she replied and gave her hand to Jessica. “Come on, Jessica. Don’t be afraid.”

                She nodded slightly and slowly walked into the class, still holding Mrs. Kate plumpy hand – she was fat though. Once she already got in, the whole class immediately turned silent. All of the eyes were staring at her. Some girls were whispering to each other. She felt ashamed and afraid all of the sudden, thinking about her mind last night which she had already written it on her new diary. Her legs trembled. She tried to gulp but nothing could get down. She lowered her face.

                “Class, from now you will have a new friend to share with,” Mrs. Kate said while placing her right hand to the trembling shoulder of Jessica. “Hey, are you ok?”

                “Ye-yes, I am,” she answered, still hanging her head low.

                Mrs. Kate nodded and decided to help her. “So, her name’s Jessica Jung. She’s new to a public school so treat her nice. And since she’s a half Korean, I beg you not to be racist, understood?” she raised her right eyebrow as gazed at one of the girl – who had just whispered to her chairmate – on the middle row. “Especially you, Miranda.”

                “Why me? And oh my God, seems that another Jung Daehyun,” the said girl stopped her words, stood up and gazed at one of the boy who was apparently also a half Korean. Then she rolled her eyes, “is coming to class.”

                “Miranda! I told you to don’t act like that or else,” Mrs. Kate raised her voice as she hold up a piece of paper on her desk, “Another E is coming to your daydream.”

                Miranda cursed behind her undefinite words before sighed and sit back on her chair.

                Jessica, who had just known that there was another half Korean in the class, undoubtedly looking at that boy. He caught up was looking on her face and immediately lowered his face. His hair glued to his forehead, and his cheeks reddened. A smile then formed on her lips.

                ‘I think I should get to know him,’ she thought.

                “Now, you can have a seat with Marie,” Mrs. Kate pointed her finger to the said girl. “She’s a bookworm, and she’s nice. Don’t worry.”

                “Thank you, Mrs. Katie.” Jessica then headed to her seat, took a glance at her chairmate, Marie. She had short and blonde hair. Though her appearance was a bit nerdy, but actually she had such a pretty face, perfect jawline, red plumpy cheeks, big nose, double-lided and green colored eyes, and pink lips. She suddenly felt unfair on how humans were created differently. She, herself, had an average nose, small, black, and narrow eyes with no lid, and black hair.

                “Hi,” Marie greeted her shortly after Jessica settled herself down on the bench – a long bench so it was suitable for two students sit along on it – and threw her a gummy smile, revealing her perfect arranged white teeth. Such a goddess looks like.

                 “Oh hi Marie,” Jessica then replied her and they shook their hands. “I hope we can be friends.”

                “Yeah,” Marie said as she looked at Jessica’s face. “You’re pretty. I want to have a face like you.”

                “What?” Jessica shocked at how strange her new friend was. “I’m not pretty. You are. I really want to have a face like you.”

                “No you’re not, Jessica.”

                “Alright. We are both pretty, aren’t we?”

                They couldn’t resist their laugh. Miranda, who noticed it, gave them a deathly glare. “Excuse me, is laughing during the class allowed?”

                Then Marie stopped and turned her whole body to Jessica. She whispered, “Miranda, no one actually likes her. But no one dare to annoy her. She’s the daughter of one of this school’s founder. She acts whatever she likes, bullying is one of them. I told you to be careful.”

                Jessica just nodded and turn her eyes to the blackboard. She then once again travelled her eyes to all the whole room. A wide blackboard, an US flag hung on the front wall along with the President’s photo. The room had three big window. A cupboard situated next to the door, it was absolutely different from her previous school.

                She took out her pencil and began to make a note of Mrs. Katie’s written lectures.


Sorry for the boring chapter. Leave your comment maybe?