Thirty One

The Chronicles of a Dreamer

It was another one of those breezy autumn mornings despite the waking sun as Naeun and Suho set off on a new adventure together. Deep feelings, unspoken words, and prolonged lust filled the atmosphere. It was but a breakfast out of the house and yet it seemed so much more like a date. How else would one define it?

Suho chose his favorite waffle place in Seoul, hoping to expose Naeun to western style foods. Of course she hadn’t tried it yet so it seemed like a good idea.

“I don’t know what to order.” Naeun told Suho , being totally honest. He just smiled at her and shook his head. “What?” She asked, feeling a little embarrassed at her naivete.

“Just choose anything appetizing to you.” He suggested. “Or choose the best looking picture.”

“Alright, will do.” Naeun said as she scavenged the menu for the perfect dish. It was about time she’d try some western style pancakes, because she would not spend another nineteen years wondering how it tasted.

 

Suho on the other hand had already known what he was going to order. He’d have the Classic Chicken and Waffles. To Naeun, it looked like Suho was busy looking for something to order too as he buried his face behind the menu; however, he was busy texting…

You see Suho really wanted to take Naeun to the dance, heck, he'd force her if he could. Simply asking her didn't work the first time; he was stuck, call it desperate of you will.

In this degree of desperation,  Suho sent a mass text to a team of people he was sure would help him out. To his luck, his friends agreed.

Just in time, the waitress came and Suho hid his phone beneath the table and put the menu down, revealing his face. “I’ll have the Berry Topped Pancakes.” Naeun ordered first.

“And for the boyfriend?” The waitress said causing Naeun to choke on nothing but air, and making Suho to smile from cheek to cheek.

“The Chicken and Waffles for me.” He told her. The waitress then left with their orders and it was quiet again. He waited for the text messages from either of the boys for the advice he really needed.

“So…” Naeun began. “You’ve been here before?” She asked making small talk to ease into a conversation.

“Yeah, my parents always took me here when I was younger.” Suho admit as he reminisced the good times with his family.

“May I ask about your parents? I mean, it’s only fair since I told you about mine.” Here, Naeun was taking initiative to get all her questions answered. Oh how the tables have turned.

“They’re a bunch of ruthless people really...I’ll fill you in another time because we have all the time in the world.” Suho told her and she agreed. Naeun realized that it must have been a really touchy subject for him. He changed the subject; figured. “Is there any place that you want to go today? It’s my treat since I hardly see my housemate these days.”

“What are you talking about? Is living together not enough?” Naeun chuckled.

“Nope.” Suho said causing butterflies to go crazy inside...both of them.  

Silence.

Did I really just say that? Suho asked himself.

Did Joonmyun really just say that? Naeun questioned.

“Are you thinking too hard or are y0u not going to answer my question.” Suho asked Naeun.

“I honestly can’t think of a place.” She said and Suho figured she say that too. Throughout the breakfast, Suho had been receiving texts from the guys. Half of which were too corny and the other half, just plain stupid and obnoxious.

Kai suggested that Suho take her to the park for a walk, then ask her there. And Suho replied “Is she a dog? Why would we take a walk at the park?”

Baekhyun said to just text it if he couldn’t say it in person, Suho’s reply of course was , “She doesn’t have a phone, you idiot!” He felt hopeless at this point and realized that maybe going to the dance together wasn’t meant to be.

 

Out of no where, Naeun said “ I haven’t been to the beach yet.”

 

“Then the beach it is.” Suho beamed.

 

….

 

In the car…

“Joonmyun, I’m going to be staying later after class the next few days to work on a project. I just thought I’d let you know. I can always take the bus home , so don’t wait for me.” Naeun informed him.

“That’s fine. I can keep you company.” He insisted.

“No, really. You don’t have to because it will be a project done in pairs, I won't be alone." Naeun said.

Later, that idea was dismissed as Suho turned up the radio. Super Junior's old hits were playing and that was when their song Bonamana came on; Naeun’s favorite song.

She sat there in her seat, looking out the window; fighting the urge not to spazz especially in front of Suho. Eventually, Suho caught a glimpse of her biting her lip uneasily.

"Are you okay?" He asked her. Naeun nodded and merely looked away embarrassed forced herself to calm down.

 

A minute into the song, Suho could have sworn he heard Naeun say something but then he realized that she was singing along.

"I thought you don't listen to music." Suho said.

Caught, Naeun didn't realize that she was singing out loud.  "I never said that." She said.

"Okay, miss I-don't-have-time-for-this-and-that." He teased causing Naeun to chuckle at her old statements.

Ten minutes later, they had reached their destination, Gyeongpo beach. Naeun could not keep her eyes off the water and she couldn't wait to dig her toes through the grains of the sand.

"We're here!" Suho announced as he stopped the car to park. "Since it's your first time at a beach, I want to make sure that you make good memories" with me he told Naeun.

She took off her seatbelt and together they strolled toward the beach. It was everything she imagined from the breeze to the dazzling view of the sun reflecting waters. It was so beautiful that Naeun wanted to cry.

Suho stopped and suggest they sit in the sand and soak in the beachy feel, so they sat as Naeun looked around and took it all in.

"I hate you." Naeun said out of nowhere.

"I'm sorry? What did I do?" Suho asked because he was confused. He looked at Naeun whose eyes were closed until she looked into his before she spoke.

"You come into my life and everything I tried so hard to set for myself was changed by you so easily. I feel like I'm dreaming whenever you're here and I'm scared." She paused and gazed over the horizon before them.

"Why is that?" He asked.

"Because I don't want to wake up to nightmare that I was living before." Naeun admit. "I didn't want to know you, Joonmyun, for the reason that I knew if did, I wouldn't want to lose you. So yeah, I hate you." She took a deep breath feeling relief as she let it all out.

"Then I feel honored to be hated by Son Naeun." Suho said to her. Call him the happiest man if you will. "Give me your hand, Naeun." Suho opened his left palm to demonstrate. Naeun did as she was told and with Suho's right hand, he placed a shiny teardrop shaped pendant on a silver chain. He found it in a tiny shop by the institute when he went on a lunch break.

"Why..."

"Hush. It's a gift and a promise that I'll be there for you, so don’t you think of rejecting it. Plus, it would look really good on you if you wore it to the dance next weekend." Suho nudged her arm. Subtle.

"You're bribing me to go with you to the dance huh!" Naeun found it funny and laughed loudly.

"That was totally not my intention." He defended. " I'm serious." And she stopped laughing.

"Oh..."

"So will you go?" He asked so desperately that you could hear it in his voice.

"Only one condition." Naeun said.

"Alright, what is it?" It couldn't be that difficult, he thought.

"Tell me your story." She told him.  "I want  ... to know you."

And with that, Suho nodded and took in a deep breath...


A/N

I'm honestly loving this story right now. I just have so much feels to update. Please stay tuned, major things will be revealed soon!