도둑 (Thief)

Reunited

 

I stepped out of the truck and nodded to the driver, my uncle, who was still wishing me a safe and pleasant stay.  "Ne, Uncle. I'll be careful."  I shut the door and waved as he drove off.  It was still a couple blocks to the building I wanted to get to as I had wanted to walk around and see the neighborhood.  There was no wind, but the air was nice and crisp as I started to walk.  

A block later, and I heard someone come running up behind me.  I moved to one side of the path so that they would have room to breeze by, but I was startled as my bag was yanked off my shoulder.  The culprit looked to be a man in his forties with an average height and build.  "Yah!" I yelled, and took off running after him.  He passed by several people, and I frantically searched my brain for the Korean word for 'thief'.  Instead, all I could yell out was "Andwe!" and keep running.  

Almost out of breath, but close on his heels, I finally closed the gap between us with one last push.  I lunged forward and managed to grab a hold of my bag, pulling it as hard as I could. Several people had followed the chase and were now closing in on him.  I could see his face start to get panicky, and now it was his turn to start to free himself from my bag.  He wiggled out in time to escape but turned to glare at me.  Then he suddenly reached out and shoved me, and I felt myself start to fall.  

There was a set of three or four steps behind me, and I stuck out my foot, trying to find a perch.  It was an awkward attempt, and I clumsily continued to fall back, feeling my ankle give way and twist under my weight.  My arms flailed, and I steeled myself for the impact when I felt someone grab my hand and start to pull me up.  I steadied myself and looked up into a gorgeous face.  "Gwenchana?"