Chapter O3

I love you, my camera

 

▬▬▬▬▬

Mini Garden~

As Yun Hee neared the garden, she was surprised to see another figure lying on the ground almost as if in mourning.

Walking over, she tapped the person’s shoulder. Surprised when the face that met her eyes was the one and only teary faced Hongki. His mesmerizing eyes were a dull brown and tears were visibly sliding down his face.

Without hesitation, Yun Hee ran over and gave him a hug.

Uncomplaining, Hongki hugged back. It felt nice to have someone care for him and hug him. He couldn’t remember the last time he’d been hugged: his mother was always away and father too busy to pay him any attention.

Hongki felt like the cliché rich boy in a story but the truth was he was living a life filled to the brim with loneliness, abandonment and misery. The only consolation was the occasional fight that drove away the dark thoughts of disappointment from his parents and pain from losing the one person he had cared about, her angelic smile forever engraved in his heart.

Yun Hee held Hongki by the shoulders and smiled at him “Say Cheese!”

Winking, she whipped out her polaroid camera of the day and snapped a picture of the two.

Shaking out the image, it cleared and showed a smiling Yun Hee with a surprised Hongki on the left. Slightly happier after the photo, Yun Hee and Hongki continued to take another 40-50 pictures on Hongki’s digital camera.

Giggling to themselves, Hongki and Yun Hee ran through the pictures laughing at the failed handstands, piggyback rides, pouts and smiley faces. Finally finishing the last photo, they sat down on the grass red in the face and puffed out.

“You know, you sure don’t act like a rich boy…” Yun Hee told him grinning.

“You know, you sure like your popsicles for a cute girl,” Hongki replied, grinning, “Would you possible consider going out for popsicles sometime?”

Laughing, Yun Hee nodded and hugged him.

“Sure.”

▬▬▬▬▬

From here, their relationship “blossomed” as some would say.

What followed were cute flowers and dresses that were left outside her door, cuddly teddy bears and chocolates placed on her bed for her to find when she got back home and little cards of affection with endearing notes of love.

Yun Hee returned his objects of love with love from all her heart and soul, keeping him company when he was lonely and sharing her popsicles whilst trying out the most ridiculous poses they could imagine in front of the camera. Framed into a scrapbook they had made together. The couple had found they had a blindingly common interest. Cameras.

Taemin was just happy to see his best friend happy and soon found another group of friends to hang with when Yun Hee was unavailable; Lee Jinki (Onew), Kim Jonghyun, Kim Kibum (Key) and Choi Minho.

Would a happy ending be too much to ask for?

Let’s fast forward to November. Senior year was nearly over and Hongki was asked to bring Yun Hee for the dreaded meet the parents day.

▬▬▬▬▬

“Yun Hee, come over here,” Hongki beckoned for his girlfriend, camera in hand.

“Say Cheese!”

“Cheese!” laughing Yun Hee pecked Hongki on the lips and hugged him. Rubbing the back of his neck Hongki poked at Yun Hee’s cheek.

“Yun Heeeeee, erm I’m not that good at this… but …willyoucomemeetmyparentstomorrowafternoon?” Hongki recited the sentence he had being practising for days.

Her chocolate brown eyes widened in surprise, Hongki’s eyes fell. Slowly cracked into a grin

“Definitely!” she said.

Hugging her around the waist, he spun her around and around laughing.

“Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, I love you,” he said. Hearts fluttering, he took her home and brought out a box with a light blue ribbon on top of it. Slowly unravelling the ribbon, a deep blue dress flowed out of the box shimmering in the artificial light. Braking into the biggest smile, Yun Hee jumped into Hongki’s arms and hugged him.

“I LOVE IT!” she squealed “Thank you!”

Kissing him on the cheek sweetly, she took out her camera.

“Smileee hehehe.” Patting the bed space beside her, Hongki sat down next to her as Yun Hee lay her head on his lap.

Lovingly her hair, Hongki whispered softly, “You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.”

Smiling, Yun Hee closed her eyes and fell asleep.

▬▬▬▬▬