Chapter 1

The Silent Protectors

Chapter 1: Tell Us A Story


"Mommy, tell us the story again!"

"Yeah, tell it again!"

The two 10 year old girls were begging their mother to tell them a story that they had always yearned to listen to since birth. Their mother told this story from time to time just to please her daughters.

"Okay." The mother gently patted their heads as she sat between the two small beds. A smile adorned the faces of the two girls and they were wrapped up in the warm blankets, waiting for their mother to begin.

"Once upon a time, in our kingdom, waged a great and terrible war. This is a legendary war that all of the Exotics have heard of. Now girls, who was the king at this time?"

"King SooMan!" The blond child exclaimed happily. The black haired child could only pout playfully as her older twin sister had answered before her.

"Ahh, you're right, Angel! King SooMan was the king of EXO during this time. He was a greedy king who wanted money and fame but the thing he coveted the most... was power. And so he sold his soul to an extremely powerful demon, his name long forgotten. This Demon was so powerful that if you were to even be in the same room as him, your heart will stop!" The two girls, instead of cowering in their blankets like most children, were on the edge of their beds in anticipation. They were waiting for the next part of their story.

"With this power bestowed upon him, he was able to control a very large, very gruesome army of low-ranked demons, but they were still demons nonetheless. They were just plain evil. Six brave Exotics blessed with powers, men known as Exo-K, took on the responsibility of saving EXO and it's people from being enslaved by the King and his demon affiliates. And so they found for days and days with no end. It had seemed like the demon army was infinite as more came charging into the battlefield. Exo-K, though powerful as they may be, started to weaken as they had used too much of their powers. Now girls, do you know who our god is?" The mother quietly asked the girls who weren't even close to sleeping. This time, the dark haired child spoke up.

"MAMA! She's our god and the one who we pray to! You'd be lucky if she were to even respond to your prayers," the young girl spoke out in a rushed manner, eager to answer before her twin. She earned a sweet peal of laughter from her sister and mother.

"You're all red from speaking without breathing!" Her sister said between her giggles. The mother just shook her head at her two daughters and continued on with the story.

"MAMA... She is the god of the Exotics. Exo-K, reaching their breaking point, gave out a simultaneous prayer. They asked—pleaded, MAMA to help them defeat these demons. And you know what? MAMA listened to them. Exo-K started to glow slightly and they started to feel stronger and stronger. Their power was returned tenfold and they rejuvenated. Then they all heard a voice, such an androgynous voice it was.

'Defeat these demons, my children, and bring peace back to our kingdom' the voice spoke. And with that, these 6 men rushed into battle, destroying every monster they encountered until they had reached King SooMan. He cowered slightly, guarded by 4 demons who surrounded him on each side, protecting him. Exo-K easily disposed of the 4 demons. They didn't kill SooMan, no. Instead, they banished and sealed him away. Combining all of their powers, they were able to seal him away in a large black granite stone that was indestructible and laced with magic, thus ending the legendary battle. This grand stone stands tall in the middle of this battlefield, though no one has ever seen it before.

After, Exo-L was never seen again... It is said that they are still alive, waiting and watching. protecting us until it was time for them to come once again and save us from turmoil." The mother ended her story and the girls started cheering loudly. Their cheering was interrupted by the slam of the door and they turned to see their father stumbling in.

"Exo-K doesn't protect us! We protect ourselves," he slurred.

"Bad things happen everyday and where are these guardians? Exo-K is just a stupid fairy tale told to little kids." The man was drunk as always. The two girls immediately jumped out of their blankets and hid behind their mother who in turn, was attempting to shield her children with her thin arms.

"O-Of course honey! You protect us," the mother said nervously, attempting to get away from this encounter with no more than a bruise. She didn't want it to hurt like last time and not in front of the kids...

"Whatever," the father spatted. He then dragged himself out of the room and into his own. They heard the creaking of the bed through the thin walls then light snores. The monster had fallen asleep.

"It's true mommy..." The dark haired girl mumbled. The mother turned to face her daughter.

"It's true that Exo-K does nothing. They don't protect us. I mean, look at you! Daddy comes in some nights and hurts you! Where is Exo-K?!" The girl screamed out her frustrations and was being comforted by her older twin.

"Shh... But we can protect ourselves. We have powers for a reason and we'll put those powers to good use. We don't need characters from a story to protect us," the young girl spoke softly to her sister.

"But you must never let anyone know of these powers, do you understand me? I can't have you taken away from me!" The mother spoke in a panicked tone and the girls nodded without a hesitation.

"No one must ever find out. People will try to hurt you. They'll try to take you away. You girls are special," she whispered, hugging her two daughters tightly.

"I love you Angel, Dev. Mommy loves you." Then the mother started to cough uncontrollably. She had let go of Angel and Dev, attempting to cover to stop the coughs but in her hand was slight splatter of blood. 

The two girls could only watch in shock as their mother coughed up blood. Then they went to her side as soon as she fainted.

"Mother!"