road trips and beds

falling for you

 

Jonghun and Jaejin are considered close friends, not best friends like Seunghyun and Minhwan because Hongki is Jonghun’s best friend even if their personalities do clash and Kibum was Jaejin’s self proclaimed best friend, so the whole best friend thing didn’t work out for the two. But they were still considered close friends even though they’re both quiet and slightly timid (though one could be quite sarcastic at times). Their friendship wasn’t the ‘you’re my best bud I’ll tell you all my secrets’ type of friendship, it was more like ‘why is everyone stupid, let’s complain about this amongst ourselves’ type of friendship which made them apparently close friends (although they were still awkward at times). That’s what Hongki said to Jonghun that one night he was gushing about the shorter brunette and his little qualities that made him adorable, and mostly what Hongki said was considered wise words of advice (not really, but Jonghun just didn’t want to admit that the red-head was actually an intelligent being).

Of course Hongki knew of the feelings that Jonghun held for Jaejin, it was quite apparent that he had the most obvious crush on the guy and how Jaejin hasn’t seen it yet was something that was baffling, even the most dense out of the five, Seunghyun, had noticed it. It was imminent that Jaejin would eventually discover Jonghun’s embarrassing crush on him and so Hongki decided to give his best friend a push and force the two to go on a long road trip to who knows where.

Jaejin gives a heavy sigh and continues to stare outside the window of Jonghun’s rickety, old, rusty car (despite the fact that Jonghun had the affluence to own a better car, he still stuck to this old thing). He squirms within his seat for a bit before turning to look at Jonghun, who was currently focused on the road in front of him. “Why did he decide for us to do this?” Jaejin complains, pouting a tiny bit.

The well-fit man continues to look at the road in front of him and shrugs, giving Jaejin a quick reply, “don’t know.”

“Why didn’t he tag along?”

“Something along the lines of, it’s too tiring,” Jonghun says, eyes still on the road.

The two are enveloped in silence once more and Jonghun could feel a tiny bit of antipathy against the red-head bubble up because wow this is awkward, and why would you force your best friend to go on a road trip alone with a guy, specifically someone you know, even more specific, your crush. He didn’t know how he could hammer a tiny bit of common sense into the obdurate man’s head because really, why did he think it was okay to make him go to who knows where with his crush? Especially his crush.  He takes a quick glance at fuel gauge, widening his eyes taking a double take. He stops the car abruptly, causing Jaejin to nearly topple out of his seat.

“,” Jonghun mumbles under his breath, “almost out of gas.”

Jaejin winces, rubs his back for a bit, and leans over to Jonghun’s side and takes a quick glance at the meter, mouth forming an ‘O’. “Well that’s bad,” he says, eyebrows furrowed together.

“We’re going to be screwed,” Jonghun moans out from behind his hands.

Jaejin gives Jonghun an awkward, but sympathetic pat, “maybe you should turn off the engine,” he suggests, pointing at the keys.

Jonghun removes his hands from his face and stares dumbly at the keys, “.” He fumbles around a bit with the keys before successfully cutting off the engine, the dark-haired man slumps down in the seat thinking of all the possible denouements that could occur with a car that’s almost out of gas with your crush, and 7 out of 10 of them seemed really bad.

As Jonghun was dreading over the possible future, Jaejin took it to himself to find a solution for dilemma and begins to dig around Jonghun’s glove tray. “Don’t we have a map?” he asks as he digs around.

Jonghun breaks out of his deep train of thought and blinks, “map? Why would we need—“ Jaejin manages to find a map anyways and waves it in front of Jonghun’s face with a slight smirk. Hongki must’ve placed it there, Jonghun thought; damn he was prepared for any situation, that Hongki.

“Oh, map,” the dark-haired man says, and he felt like he sounded pretty stupid too.

Jaejin nods and begins to peruse the complex looking map, “where are we anyways?”

“Um.” That was a good question, where were they? They couldn’t just be in the middle of nowhere, they had to be somewhere.  What if they were lost? Oh god, Hongki was going to kill him if they were lost and didn’t come back by the next day or the end of the week. He would like to make an excuse or at least say something to make it seem like he wasn’t actually lost and didn’t know exactly where in the world they are (I mean, Korea couldn’t be that big) because that would be embarrassing, and Choi Jonghun doesn’t do embarrassing.

He begins to think about what he could say to elucidate his reasons for getting the both of them lost, but comes up with nothing and lying would seem really uncool right now, like really uncool.

“I actually don’t know,” Jonghun says in the end, toying with his keys. 

Jaejin laughs, a sweet kind of laugh, and Jonghun could feel the tips of his ears heat up. “That’s fine since I found where we are, isn’t hard since there was a sign right there,” Jaejin says, pointing at the sign that was right next to them.

Jonghun felt really stupid at that moment.

“Oh, uh, I didn’t see that.”

“That’s fine, hyung. But if you continue driving straight there’s going to be a motel or inn nearby and we can crash there and ask for some gas,” Jaejin says, pointing at the direction where the motel is at.

Jonghun peeks out of his car’s window and looks up at the sky, it was quickly getting dark and it was best they hurried to the motel. He turns on the car’s engine and nods at what the brunette said, “Got it, we should hurry too, it’s getting dark.”

--

By the time they had gotten to the motel, the moon was shining above them, stars were out practically mocking them and they were freezing cold. At least they were lucky enough that the car died right when they got to the motel and all they had to do was push the rundown car to a parking space, but it didn’t help that the two were freezing cold and wanted to be somewhere warm quick. Once the car was pushed safely into a parking space (just how many people were at this motel? He didn’t know, but there was only two or three parking spaces left and it was just ridiculous) the two rush into the warmth of the motel and gains a couple of questioning looks from the customers.

The clerk raises an eyebrow at the two, but doesn’t question anything and begins his banal greeting and introduction. “What can I do for you two?” The clerk asks in a painfully monotone voice.

“Can we have a room for two for the night?” Jonghun asks, rubbing his arms trying to warm himself up.

The man nods and brings out a large book, flipping through the pages looking for an available room. He shakes his head and closes the book carefully, “majority of the rooms are booked or taken, but you’re lucky we have one room available left, although there’s only one bed.”

Jonghun and Jaejin look at each other, they really needed to stay for the night and if they’d had to share a bed it didn’t really matter, well for Jonghun it did, but Jaejin didn’t need to know that.

Jonghun merely stares at the clerk with a blank expression, not sure of what to say. He really did want a nice, warm room to sleep in, but there was only one bed. It could be any type of bed, small, large, or heart-shaped. What if they get a lover’s suite instead of a normal room? God, that would kill him, he wouldn’t be able to deal with the large amount of chagrin just by the thought of it. Jaejin and him in a heart shaped bed with ridiculously bright red sheets and equally ridiculous red, heart-shaped pillows, that seems more like hell than heaven, and did the motel even have a lover’s suite?

Jaejin merely sighs at Jonghun’s rather obvious inner turmoil and gives a pleasant smile to the clerk. “We’ll take it,” Jaejin says, beginning to pay for the room. Jonghun opens his mouth to protest after snapping out from his chaotic thoughts, but the younger shoots a quick glare at him, telling him to shut up and accept the fact that they even got a room to sleep in.

The two are led to their designated room and the clerk left once the door closed. It was decorated in a simple way, walls a simple crème color with occasional frames with cats, floral patterned curtains that framed the window that gave them a view of countryside, and a small twin sized bed in the middle (maybe Jonghun did over think this a tiny bit). Jaejin stares at the room with a blank expression and Jonghun stares at it with wide eyes.

Jaejin throws his bag on the floor and continues to scrutinize the bed in front of him, “that bed is tiny.”

“I can take the floor if you want,” Jonghun suggests after collecting himself.

The brunette shakes his head, “you take the bed, hyung. I’ll take the floor.”

“But that’s unfair to you.”

“And you’d rather the both of us sleep on that tiny bed?”

Jonghun opens his mouth, but quickly closes it. Now that he thought about it, he did want the both of them to sleep on the same bed. It would give him a chance to possible hug Jaejin while he was sleeping, or maybe even the younger could snuggle up close to his chest as the two sleep—oh god what was he thinking, he smacks his face trying to rid of the already cheesy thoughts, but soon looks up to see Jaejin looking at him with wide eyes. He really wanted to curl up in a corner somewhere and die.

“Um, are you okay, Jonghun-hyung?”

“Yeah perfectly fine, fine and dandy like a dandelion.” Jonghun exclaims, silently cursing himself, who says fine and dandy these days now? He even added “like a dandelion.”

“Are you—“

“I am sure,” he says quickly, cutting Jaejin off. “Fine and dandy like a dandelion.”

Jaejin nods slowly with an unsure expression, “uh, okay.”

Jonghun his lips out of a nervous habit, “but I guess we can share a bed since you don’t want me sleeping on the floor and I don’t want you sleeping on the floor,” he says, but then quickly adds, “If we make enough room for each other.”

Jaejin shrugs and rubs the back of his neck in a sheepish manner, “it’ll be kind of hard to make room, but if you want to, hyung.”

The dark-haired man nods, “uh, yeah. Should we sleep now?”

Jaejin yawns and rubs his eyes. Jonghun really wanted to squish the younger’s cheeks right now and coo at how cute he was rubbing his eyes in such an adorable manner, but no, that’s embarrassing and once more, Jonghun doesn’t do embarrassing.

“Yeah, I’m getting pretty tired.”

“Well then, scoot, I’m sleeping too then,” Jonghun says, sitting himself down on the bed. Jaejin looks at Jonghun with a questioning expression that practically yelled out ‘are you serious, with that body of yours’, but doesn’t protest against it. Jonghun begins to take off his shoes as Jaejin slips himself under the thick blankets, trying to move around to get the perfect sleeping position.

Jonghun, after taking off his shoes (which were very hard to slip off) and socks, slips under the covers and moves around trying to leave enough room for both Jaejin and himself.  “This is pretty awkward,” Jaejin says, now that Jonghun’s and his own backs were facing each other. Jonghun hums in agreement, this was really awkward, and especially for Jonghun who really wanted to wrap his arms around the other’s waist at the moment.

“Maybe I should—“

“No, just sleep, Jaejin.”

Jaejin turns to face Jonghun’s back and pokes at it, “but—“

Jonghun turns in the bed, causing it to creak and slightly moving the bed, he faces Jaejin and smacks the brunette’s head lightly and huffs tiredly, “no more talking, go to sleep.” Jaejin rubs his head and grumbles a “yes hyung.”

It takes a while for the two to fall asleep, seeing how they were both in an uncomfortable position and that they were practically squished together. Maybe Jonghun should have taken Jaejin’s offer with the younger sleeping on the floor, but that seemed a bit rude and he didn’t want Jaejin to wake up with an aching back.  Sighing, he tries turning, but fails to, afraid he would wake up the younger. He continues to stare at Jaejin (not in a creepy way what-so-ever) and eventually dozes off into a deep slumber.

--

The soft rays of sunlight penetrate through the blinds, stirring Jonghun awake. His eyes struggle to open, but when he sleepily opens his eyes, he’s greeted to a pleasant sight. Jaejin still deep in sleep was snuggling up into Jonghun’s chest and his arm rested around Jaejin’s rather slim waist. He shifts a bit, trying to get more comfortable only to stir the dark-haired boy awake. Jonghun smiles at the sight of Jaejin’s face scrunching up from the sunlight, but the smile dissipates once Jaejin’s eyes flutter open, staring at Jonghun with a warm gaze at first which quickly turns into one of shock and promptly kicks him off the bed with a loud thud. Jaejin peers down to check on Jonghun, apologizing repeatedly.

“It’s okay, Jaejin,” Jonghun reassures.

“But I kicked you off the bed, hyung.”

Jonghun groans as he tries to sit up, it was one really hard kick, he really didn’t expect it, but he kinda of deserved it for getting all close to Jaejin. Just kind of. “No it’s fine, it’s not like you broke my back.”

“But still—“

Jonghun cuts off Jaejin before he could finish his sentence, “we were both sleeping in a tiny bed, so this type of stuff would most definitely occur.”

“I guess,” Jaejin says, still looking a bit guilty.

Jonghun laughs and tries to stand up. “I didn’t do anything weird last night, did I?” He asks.

“I discovered that you’re a hugger when you’re sleeping,” Jaejin replies as he kicks off the duvet. “You started hugging me and mumbling that you loved me or something,” he adds.

Jonghun stares at Jaejin with wide eyes, “I- what?”

“You hugged me really tightly and then mumbled that you loved me?” Jaejin says with a brow raised, “I’m not a really deep sleeper, hyung.”

“Oh my god, I’m sorry,” Jonghun apologizes, “sorry that I woke you up.” He was sure that Jaejin didn’t like him back, he was so sure Jaejin was probably grossed out by those mumbles of ‘I love you’. His chances were ruined and this was all Hongki’s fault. If only he hadn’t forced Jonghun to go on a road trip with Jaejin, if only.

Jaejin laughs, he totally didn’t expect the other to laugh, and it was one of his obnoxious laughing too. “Hyung, you’re so stupid!” He manages to say in between his fits of laughter.

“What?”

“I like you too,” Jaejin continues to laugh, his body curled over and holding his stomach, “this is just hilarious.”

Jonghun continues to stare at Jaejin in confusion, “what, you—“

Jaejin stands up and gives Jonghun a quick peck on the lips, “yeah, I do.”

Jonghun’s face brightens and he envelops Jaejin into a tight hug, placing quick kisses on the others face, mumbling “I love you” and “thank you.” Jaejin’s face scrunches up a bit, but he does nothing to stop the other from attacking his face with kisses other than mumbling a “stop that.” Maybe Hongki’s idea was a great idea, but he’ll never admit to that.

 

---------

a/n: sorry for the rushed ending idek how to end it. i know i'm in the middle of writing something else, but my muse calls for other things. leave some feedback  /)w(\