Eleven

Eleven

 

'Five, six, seven,' Kai counted the shelves of books as he walked passed each one, going deeper and deeper into the school's library.

'Eight, nine, and …'

He peered between the tenth and eleventh book shelves and smiled to himself when he saw you sitting on the floor next to a stack of books.

You were always there, leaning against the eleventh book shelf in the quiet library with your nose stuck in a book.

He didn't know what he was doing there, why he always somehow found his feet walking towards the library whenever he was bored. You weren't anything special actually. You didn't have guys chasing after you in school or some spectacular talent that made you stand out from the rest.

But maybe that's why he found you so interesting, so intriguing. You didn't gush over him as he passed in the halls or try to flirt with him every chance you got. You did the opposite actually.

Was that the reason why he found himself taking secret glances at you without you knowing? Was that the reason why he thought you looked adorable when you pushed your glasses up the bridge of your nose or when you pushed your long brown hair out of your face as you turned the page of your book?

He really didn't know.

All he knew that is that he needed a reason to talk to you, to get to know you.

He turned away from you and leaned against the bookshelf he was hiding behind. Kai looked down at his shoes and took a deep breath, trying to shoo away the butterflies that were fluttering in his stomach.

'Why are you acting like this?' he asked himself silently, 'You're a kingka. You shouldn't be feeling like this, she's just a nerd.'

But you weren't just a nerd. Kai knew that. You were special, he didn't know why, but you were.

'Just go,' Kai nodded to himself before turning on his confident side and slowly walking up to you.

He stood a few feet away from you, feeling his heart pounding in his chest against his will.

You didn't look up since you were too engrossed in the book you were reading.

Kai cleared his throat loudly, "Excuse me."

You quickly snapped your head up and your eyes widened when you saw Kai looking down at you.

"Y-Yes?" you asked in a small voice, your voice trembling a little.

'Oh gosh she's so cute,' Kai thought, but immediately pushed it away.

"Ummm, there's a few girl chasing me," he lied with ease, using the excuse he came up with on his way to the library, "Do you mind if I hide out here for a little while?"

You stared up at Kai in shock, but found yourself nodding.

He gave you a small smile as he sat down directly in front of you and leaned against the bookshelf opposite to you.

You quickly looked back down at your book and tucked a lock of hair behind your ears. You took slow breaths, trying to calm your rapid heartbeat.

You tried to continue reading in an attempt take your mind off of the boy who was sitting a mere two feet away from you. But you realized that it wasn't going to happen, seeing that you read the same line three times.

You pushed your glasses up your nose as you tried to focus on the words.

"Have you ever thought about contacts?" he asked abruptly, causing you jumped a little at his sudden question, "Glasses seem like a bit of a nuisance."

"I've tried before," you shook your head with your nose wrinkled, "Glasses suit me better."

You dipped your head back towards your book as you and Kai fell quite once again.

"So, what are you reading?" Kai asked, breaking the awkward silence that hung in the air between the two of you.

"Pride and Prejudice," you admitted, showing him the cover of the book, "I know it's cliché but it's one of my favorites."

"Mine too," Kai mumbled before he realized what he was saying.

You looked at him in surprise, "You read Jane Austen?"

Kai sighed and nodded, knowing that this was going to hurt his image, but he honestly couldn't care less.

You bit your lip as you looked between Kai and the book in your hand, "'His own enjoyment, or his own ease, was, in every particular-'"

"'His ruling principle'," he finished with a nod, "Isn't that from Sense and Sensibility?"

"So you weren't lying," you mumbled, "That's very impressive," you complimented Kai as you looked up at him through your lashes.

"Thanks," he couldn't stop a smile from stretching across his lips.

You pushed your glasses up your nose as you played with the worn corner of the novel.

Kai bit his lip as he watched you fiddle with the pages of the library book, the cutest pout he has ever seen on your lips.

"'In vain I have struggled. It will not do'," Kai began to quote the book that was resting in your lap, "'My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.'"

You looked at Kai, stunned. Those were the words Mr. Darcy told Elizabeth when he was confessing he love for her. Surely, Kai couldn't have been meant for you, right?

"E-excuse me?" you asked him, not entirely sure you heard him correctly or if it was just your imagination playing tricks on you.   

Kai awkwardly cleared his throat and looked away, "That's from the book, isn't it?"

"Oh, yeah," you glanced down at the book that was still open, "It is."

"See, I told you I've read it," Kai forced out a laugh, but was internally beating himself up for backing out on his confession.

"I believe you," you smiled shyly and raked your fingers through your hair, pushing it out of your face.

Kai bit his lip and glanced down at his watch, "I should get going," he mumbled quickly, attempting to save himself from any more embarrassment.

You nodded understandingly, "I'm sure those girls have given up on finding you by now."

"R-Right," Kai stuttered as he stood up, suddenly remembering his excuse from earlier, "The girls that were chasing me."

"It was nice talking to you, Kai," you smiled up at him.

He quickly nodded, not daring to say another word, before scurrying down the row of books.

Kai stopped as he was about to turn the corner of the bookshelf he was previously hiding behind and turned back to face you.

"______," he called out.

You looked up and saw Kai poking his head back into the aisle you were sitting in.

You tilted your head to the side and gave him a questioning look.

"Are you going to be here tomorrow?" he asked nervously.

You squinted your eyes in thought, "Mmmm probably, why?"

"Just wondering," he gave you a smile before taking his leave.

You looked at the empty space where Kai once was before shrugging to yourself and finally returning to your book.

'Looks like I'm visiting the library tomorrow,' he mused to himself as he exited the quite library and stepped into the deserted hallway, a little bounce in his step.