Chapter 7: A New Encounter

2BG2: This is our Generation

Haley's P.O.V

      The brisk wind of December chilled the windows and slipped through the cracks of the wall, freezing the already heat-deprived practice room. Apparently, the heater's broken, and a new one won't be installed until next week. Make your own heat, they said. You'll be fine, they said. Meanies. For the past few weeks, our training heightened and pushed our stamina far more than a mere mortal can possess. However, Asher can now hold a note or two, Indigo's almost a power-house singer, Aaron's screw-ups drastically decreased and I- still at the guitar. Mr. Yong informed us of his plan a few days earlier, saying he wanted us to debut in a year's time. "A Christmas Debut! It's the perfect time~" Nothing some like hot cocoa and a new rookie to start the holidays. That means we have exactly a year to prep ourselves for fame, and this time next year- I may be a star. Or a joke. Gosh, I hate being a pessimist, but it was hard to think positively when my patience was running low. My guitar teacher, although he's helped me a lot, needed to return to his college to study and decided to drop his 'star-student' as my new mentor. Today was my first lesson with the kid, and he made an awesome first impression by being 20 minutes late- and counting. It's would've been fine if it wasn't negative nine degress in here, if I didn't have two research essays to write, and if I didn't have four tests tomorrow. But hey, today's not the day to test my patience.

Right when I had just about enough and stood up to leave, the door clicked open and a figure stepped inside. It was a girl around my age, with long wavy dark hair and large green eyes. (Circle lenses? Probably.) She opened and became speaking in fluent Korean that was too quck for my ears to catch. Although I have been taking lessons, I can barely hold anything above a basic conversation like 'how was your day' and 'I'm hungry'. My confused expression must've finally caught on, because she stopped and asked in English, "Do you know the guitar teacher that teaches here?"  Yes, something I can understand! 

"Yeah, but he won't be teaching here again until next term," I replied with a light shrug.

"Oh, thank you," She returned with a light bow of her head. Right before she turned to leave, she looked back at me with an outstretched hand. "By the way, my name is Ahn Sun Young. But you can call me by my stage name- Ashely." Ohh, stage name already? Fancy shmancy.  

I shook her hand with a smile and introduced myself as well, "My name's Haley, pleasure to meet you, Ashely." She seemed pretty decent, I smell a new chingu.

"Haley, you look so adorable! But don't you think you should dress more your age? You look like a two year old, nobody would take you seriously. But have no fear! Here, I can give you the number of my stylist and she can find a better style for you." Like magic, she had a business card in her hand, which she offered to me along with an encouraging, almost pitiful smile. Had I not been trained last month on controlling facial expressions, my eyes would've popped out of their sockets and my mouth would've hit the ground. Before I could respond, she stuffed the card in my pocket and whispered, "You really need it, you can thank me later." Screw the smell, my nose was tricking me because it was so cold. Just like that, she threw a peace sign with the highest pitched giggle I've ever heard and skipped out of the room like she just saved a cat from a tree. I was left with a pout, and petted the two braids alongside my shoulders. My style isn't too childish, is it? But it's my charm, right? Ain't nobody can handle my aegyo!

The door clicked open, and my guard went up immediatley- thinking it was Ashely again. With vigor, I exclaimed in annoyance, "Anything else you'd like to add? Going to give me the number to your hairdresser too?"

Instead, it was Mike. "Um... No, I don't think you'd suit his style. Am I in trouble?"

My cheeks flamed up in embarrasment, "Oh no, I thought you were someone else! Mianhe~ But what are you doing here?"

He stepped inside with a boyish smile and picked up a guitar, "I'm your new teacher!"

"Whoa, really?" What a pleasant surprise, but doesn't excuse my freezing behind. Placing my arms on my waist, I raised an eyebrow and asked, "So why are you late?" 

It was his turn to flame up, and he rubbed the back of his head with a sheepish smile. "Right, well I thought these lessons didn't start until tomorrow, so I went home. But then I got a reminder text on my phone, and ran back here as soon as I saw it. But-" He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a chocolate bar. "I brought you this! Forgive me?"

"Hmm...." I narrowed my eyes at him and the chocolate bar, then loosened up with a chuckle and took the bar. "Forgiven. But next time you're late, there better be some banana milk!"

He chuckled and sat down on a chair, "Of course, but I promise it won't happen again."

 "We'll see~" I sat across from him and picked up my own guitar. I showed him what I was last taught, and we picked up from there. For each new note, he showed me how to do it then allowed me to mimic him. 

And just like that, time flew by. Although my previous teacher was great, Mike was tons of fun and I was able to learn a lot in just half an hour. He was more comfortable to be around with, and didn't hold each mistake I made against me. In fact, he would show- not tell- me what I did wrong, and guided my fingers if they were misplaced. 

Soon, the session had timed up and Mike and I placed out guitars away to stretch. "Wow, you're a hard student- no wonder the teacher ran away," Mike joked with a light smile.

"Hey! Don't be a bully, the student is only as good as the teacher~" I teased back with a poke to his arm. 

"Fine fine, you were good- but only because I was amazing," Mike grinned with his mock-ego. He then lightly ruffled my hair and said seriously, "But you were really good. Say, want to get some coffee? My treat."

"Sure, but I'm paying!" I replied with my tongue stuck out. Knowing he'd say no, I picked up my bag and ran out of the room before he could say anything. "Last one to the cafe is a rotten kimchi!"

"No fair, we didn't count to three!" Soon enough, I heard him running after me. 

     After entering the cafe, half out of breath, and ordered ourselves some coffee, we both took a seat by the window with our warm drinks. At first, Mike and I were talking about the lesson we just had, then about homework our teachers gave us. then drifted off into casual stuff like our weekend plans and training in general. Sitting opposite to the front door across the room, it wasn't hard to see a certain she-gang enter the joint like they owned the place. Despite the freezing weather, they all wore the thinnest tops and the shortest shorts. Cold-blooded, I swear it! Not wanting to cause trouble, I diverted my attention to only Mike and prayed the leader of the hyenas doesn't see me.

Heh, just my luck. "Oh my god, Haley? Is that you? What brings you here?" Hee-young chirped as she made a big show strutting all the way to our table, placing her hands on the table and leaning forward with a smile faker than my grandpa's wig. 

"Oh, you know. Just drinking some coffee with Mike," I replied, as if it wasn't evident enough with the half-finished coffee cup in my hand. Her eyes slid to Mike, who just awkwardly- but more confusedly- waved at her out of politeness.

"Ooohhh, are you two on a date?" She sang as if it was the most scandalous thing in the world. 

Mike and I answered in unison, "No, we're just friends."

Granting the name I called her earlier to truth, she cackled like a hyena and added, "Really now? Sorry for misunderstanding, but you guys look like you're on a date. You know what, you'd make a cute couple too!"

Mike spoke up this time, "Sorry, but Haley and I are just school friends. We're not into each other like that." I nodded in agreement. 

"Hey! The lighting looks perfect here! Say cheese~" Hee-young exclaimed, suddenly whipping out her phone. Mike and I instinctively covered our faces with our hands and arms right before a flash could blind us. "It's perf! Thanksies~" And just like that, Queen Hyena skipped out the cafe. Mike and I let out a sigh of relief, but I couldn't help but have this eerie feeling crawl up my spine. Sure, Mike and I did nothing wrong, but that random picture could be manipulated in any way Hee-young wanted. .... Meh, who cares? I know I didn't do anything wrong, Mike knows he didn't do anything wrong- but still. It feels weird and fishy, like a month old can of tuna. The two of us quickly finished our drinks and left, parting ways to go home.

           When I got home, I saw Ashely in the living room. She glared at me as I was taking my shoes off. Rather than asking why she was here, I made my way around her and chose to quietly go up the stairs to my room. On the way up,  I saw Indigo, and before I could offer a greeting she grabbed my arms and pulled me into her arm. "Where were you?" She asked, concern in her eyes. 

"Mianhae~ I was with Mike," I explained. "It turns out that he's the star student that my songsaenim left. After the lesson, we went to a cafe to get a cup of coffee and chat., sorry for not texting you." It was then I realized that it was quiet. Too quiet. "Where's dumb and dumber?"

"They both are in the game room, playing." Indigo answered with a hopeless shrug.

"Ahhhh~ Makes sense. Now what's Ashely doing in the living room? The yeoja rubs me the wrong way." 

"You know her? She just came knocking on our door an hour ago, and won't leave until she meets Mr. Yong."

"Nahh, I just met the gal. But that's weird... Why not see him in his office?"


"I know right! Now what do we do about her?"

"Let's kindly ask her to leave, first. If she doesn't listen, we'll call Mr. Yong to handle her." With the game plan, Indigo and I nodded and pumped our fists, then headed back downstairs.

Ashely was sitting on the couch when we arrived. As we approached, Indigo stepped back and cowered behind me, lightly nudging me to take the lead. Aigoo, what to do about you, maknae? Deciding to give my little dongsaeng some self confidence tips later, I cleared my throat and stared Ashely down. "Excuse me, but why exaclty are you here? We love having company, but now isn't the time for guests." 

Ashely, with her arms crossed over her chest, raised her chin and answered, 
"I came to see Mr. Yong."

"Well he doesn't live here, he's probably at his office. You can go and visit him there if you wish, but you have to leave." I retorted. 

"I'm not leaving here until I see him," Ashely stubbornly stated, then looked away with her nose in the air.

I blinked at her rudeness, then scrunched my nose and tsked. "Fine, suit yourself." I signalled Indigo to head out, and we both went back upstairs. 

As we poured back into Indigo's and Asher's room, I slid out my phone and dialed Mr. Yong's number. Briefly telling him what's up, he instructed us to wait there, and that he was on his way.  

Indigo's P.O.V

Considering it may be a while before Mr. Yong would come, Haley and I decided to check up on dumb and dumber. Steering clear of Ashely, who still stubbornly sat on the couch, we made our way to the basement- also known as our own private arcade. As expected, the two boys made themselves comfortable by leaning back on bean bags with controllers in their hands, their eyes glued to the TV screen in front of them. Haley cleared to announce our presence, and Aaron looked to the side for a second before putting his attention back to his game. In an almost synical voice, he asked, "How was your little date?" He hissed the last word as if it was poison. 

Haley, in response, glared at him with her arms crossed over her chest, replying, "What date?" Okayyyyy, these two aren't on good and fluffy terms. I took a step back, not wanting to be in the middle of that.  

"I was just asking how it went. It looked like you were having a good time," Aaron snapped back, still looking at his game, but now furiously abusing his controller's buttons. Whoa boy, nobody speaks to my Unnie like that. 

Just when Haley opened for her retort, I cut in exclaiming, "Since when did she have to give you explainations for every little detail of her life? Where she goes and who she goes with are honestly none of your business."

Both Asher and Haley stared at me wide eyed in surprise, a good surprise from the latter though, and Haley cleared and hopped on with her added "Yeah!"

Aaron paused the game to properly turn around and whispered hoarsely at her, "Whatever. Hope you had fun." He turned back around and unpaused the game, then continued playing. Asher, the innocent bystander, just shook his head and joined him. Although it was for a split second, I caught Aaron's pained expression that was somewhere in the middle of an angry squirrel and a kicked puppy. After taking a peek at Haley, whose face contorted to a shocked and wounded expression, I could tell she saw his face too.

After releasing a defeated sigh, Haley explained, "It wasn't a date. We were just two friends having a cup of coffee. Mike and I made it clear we're just friends, I'm sorry people misunderstood." As if the fairy godmother herself bibidi babidi boo-ed his mood to turn his mood around a full 180, Aaron's
 face brightened as he paused the game to give an award-winning smile in our direction.

"Do you want to join us?" He asked, offering up the extra controllers. Haley tried to hide her 'what the flippady-do-das' face, and just shook her head.

"Sorry, I have a lot of homework to do. Maybe next time~" Haley shrugged, and Aaron pouted.

"How about you, Indigo?" Asher asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Ermm, sure, I guess." Just as Haley bid us a farewell, Aaron gave me the extra controller and I sat on a bean bag behind the two. However, fearing they were blocking my way, the two pulled me up and sat me in between them. Because of the rapid movements their hands were making as they were shooting up zombies and whatnot, my arms constantly brushed up against theirs. They may not notice it, but my face was heating up faster than a hot potato. Kyahh, so awkward! When I couldn't take it anymore, I quietly excused myself, then made a run for it upstairs.

Trying to make my way towards my room, I overheard Ashely screeching voice screaming at someone.

 
"IT WAS SUPPOSED TO ME THAT DEBUTS! NOT THEM! IT WAS MY TIME TO SHINE!" With a spark of curiosity, I hid behind the living room wall. Ashely has tear stains running down her face, and in all his glory, Mr. Yong stood before her with an expressionless face. 

 

"Who's fault was that, Ashely? You abandoned your training. You gave me no choice, but to set out and find others that are willing to learn. I'm sorry, but it's their time to shine, you lost your chance." Mr. Yong stated sternly. Ashely stormed out. signaling her defeat, and Mr.Yong rubbed his temples out of the stress that Ashely just gave him.

Before he could notice me, I ran up into my room, breathing heavily with all this new information and trying to take it all in. Only one thought could be processed: Did I take away her chance of becoming famous?