Of Thunders and Lightning

Of Thunders and Lightning

 

 

The world is coming to an end.

 

That's what sixteen years old Seungri thought as the thunderstorm was raging outside. Its 2.45 am and he woke up due to the thunderstorm blaring outside. He lay curled up underneath his covers, shaking like a leaf. He was sure that sooner or later a lightning would strike the building and everyone would be killed. Silent fearful tears ran down his cheeks. He made a point of being quiet. He didn't want the members to know he was scared. He cant. After everything that he put himself to be with them, he didn’t want this one little matter become the problem. He is Seungri. The victory. He shouldn’t be scared of anything.

 

Another loud and angry grumble came from the sky and Seungri let out a yelp of surprise. It was getting louder, which meant the thunder was drawing closer. He got one hand from under the covers to grab a pillow and put it over his head in an attempt to block the noise. But no matter what he did, he could still hear the rumble that his Seunghyun hyung had once referred to as "God is playing bowling".

 

Whimpering in fear he threw away his pillow and got back under the covers, his hands glued to his ears. Why did he have to sleep alone tonight? Why Daesung hyung have to go back to his hometown tonight? He wanted someone to be by his side so badly right now. He know Jiyong is still awake in his room, writing songs but he would never go get him in his room, even if his life depended on it. He is a grown up man, he could handle it. Besides maybe Jiyong is probably sleeping already.

 

Just as he started to relax a little, thinking about his hyung next door, the brightest lightning he had ever seen came out, quickly followed by the loudest rumble ever. Seungri yelped again and started to cry, now completely and utterly scared. He wanted his Mom, but he cant. He wanted his hyungs, but they were in the other rooms, and Seungri was afraid that if he got up, the lightning would find him and strike him.

 

 

"Hey Seungri, get out from under there."

 

Seungri tensed. He could have sworn he'd heard Jiyong’s voice. He lay still for a second, listening.

 

"Come on, little Seunghyun, I wanna show you something."

 

But Seungri was too frightened to move. Soon a hand tugged gently at the covers, and the maknae did nothing to stop it. His eyes were met by Jiyong’s, who was smiling reassuringly at him.

 

"Hey maknae. Figured you weren't sleeping."

 

Seungri said nothing, but he threw himself at Jiyong.

 

"Whoa, hey, easy there." Jiyong chuckled.

 

 

But Seungri only tightened his grip around his hyung's neck. He was so glad Jiyong was there. It seemed like he didn't even have to be called to know the little one needed him. And Seungri was okay with that.

 

Jiyong returned the hug for a brief second before letting go and picking up something on the bed.

 

"Here, I made you something,” he said.

 

This got Seungri's interest and he let go the hug and let his curiosity take over his fear.

 

It was a picture drawn by Jiyong, but a weird one. It showed the Namsan Tower, a big tree, a house, a car and a man. Jiyong had also drawn a black cloud with a little lightning on top of it.

 

"What is this?" Seungri's shaky voice asked.

 

"This, Ri, is the proof that thunderstorms are nothing to be afraid of." Jiyong pointed at the lightning.

 

"You see, when the lightning falls from the clouds, it's attracted to the highest spot it can find. And as you can see, the Namsan Tower is way higher than houses. And they have lightning rods."

 

"What's a lightning road?" Seungri asked. Jiyong smiled.

 

"Lightning rods. It's like a metal stick you put on top of buildings, like on the Namsan Tower. It attracts lightning like a magnet and throws it into the ground so it doesn't hurt anybody."

 

Seungri looked at the picture and seemed to consider it for a moment. "What if there's no high building around?"

 

"Well, I guess that leave the trees." He pointed to the hastily drawn wide tree on the right of the paper.

 

"They're higher than houses, so if the lightning's got to hit something, it'll hit a tree."

 

"But, but my teacher once said that we shouldn't stand under trees during a thunderstorm."

 

Jiyong nodded, "Yepp, that's because if the lightning falls on a tree, branches can catch fire and fall and hurt you. But you're safe as long as you're in a house or," he pointed at the last item on the picture, "In a car. Cars are thunder-proof."

 

Jiyong smiled at his maknae again, and was pleased to see that Seungri actually smiled back.

 

 

"So," Jiyong asked, "You gonna be okay for tonight, or you wanna sleep with me?"

 

Seungri considered for a moment, and then shook his head. "It okay, I'm good."

 

Jiyong nodded proudly. "That's my victory." He ruffles Seungri’s dark hair. He went to get up, but a hand grabbed his wrist.

 

“Hyung…”

 

"What is it, maknae?"

 

"Can I keep the picture?"

 

Jiyong chuckled, "Yeah, sure, why not?" Jiyong folded the paper and gave it to Seungri.

 

"You just keep it. And if you ever get scared by a thunderstorm, you just look at it and remember that you're safe. Arasso?"

 

A nod. "Arasso."

 

"Goodnight Ri."

 

"Night Hyung."

 

------------------------------------------------

 

"You've gotta be kidding me!"

 

Seungri went back in the hotel room and immediately regretted it. There stood Jiyong with his almost six years old drawing in his hand. And a mocking grin plastered on his face.

 

"I can't believe you kept that stuff!"

 

Seungri pinched the bridge of his nose. "Look hyung, I don't expect you to understand, but everyone likes to keep some stuff for memories. I kept this."

 

Jiyong looked at him in confusion. "Okay, I don't think you're dumb, but why keep that? That's not even a good picture."

 

"I don't know. It's just a good memory, you know? You actually take time to draw me a picture to explain why I don't have to be afraid." Seungri shrugged.

 

"Besides I just always stuffed it in my bags without thinking about it." He look down to his hands, trying to avoid his hyung's eyes.

 

 

The truth is, he is depended on that old drawing. He brings it wherever he goes. Not that he still scared with those thunders and lightning, it just that he’ll feel safe with the picture next to him when he’s asleep during the thunderstorms.

 

And now here they are, in the hotel in Malaysia for their Alive Tour. It been told that it is the season of raining here and they have to prepare themselves with the weather. Even right now, it is raining heavily outside.

 

 

Jiyong seemed satisfied with this explanation and gave the picture back to Seungri. He opened his luggage and took out his stuffs for changing.

 

Jiyong is ready to enter the bathroom before a lightning struck, followed by a rumble.

 

"Ri." Jiyong called.

 

"What?" Seungri looked up.

 

"If you get too scared," he looked his maknae in the eyes, "Just look at the picture, and remember that you're safe." He smiled and entered the bathroom.

 

"Thanks hyung."

 

End.

 

Tell me what you think! Thankyou for reading~! ^^ <3