A Date, Remember?

Everything Is Pretty

My thoughts had been clouded by Jongup for the few days since I had seen him. I hadn’t had time to see him at the dance room because of assignments so at the very least I was surprised to find him waiting outside my painting class halfway through the week. I felt a little embarrassed to see him because I had decided to wear to his jacket, matching it with black skinny jeans and the same sneakers I wore the last time we met. I had styled my hair so that I could wear the hood with it and I was glad for that when it hid my reddened cheeks.

Jongup himself wasn’t wearing anything but a sleeveless tank top and jeans – it made me dizzy becuase he look so good but I couldn't help but wonder if he felt cold in the autumn weather. His arms were incredibly toned and hinted at the rest of his body being just as well-built, from that I guessed he just had a warm body. I was swooning mentally.

“Hello.” I peeped over his shoulder, frightening him just the tiniest bit and I giggled once. He turned and I noticed that he was pale from the scare but his colour returned quickly. Jongup laughed shyly – there it was again, that laugh – and bit his lip before opening his mouth but deciding not to speak and smiling instead.

“What are you doing?” I felt as embarrassed as he looked but I knew if I didn’t speak no one would.

“Oh, uh, yeah.” He chuckled again like he had lost all his thoughts and I had miraculously reminded him of his original plan. “Yongguk said he walks you home on Tuesdays but he’s, uh, busy today. So he asked me to do it.” I scolded Yongguk in my mind but smiled as bright as I could. He was doing all this on purpose even though this was only the second time that I had even spoken to Jongup. Not that I really minded. It would be a nice change from Yongguk's teasing.

“Okay then, well I have to grab some stuff from my locker first.” I smiled when he nodded and followed me as I moved down the hall. He watched his shoes and I watched the people around us, finding it hard to even let my gaze wander his way. There was something tense between us, it was exciting but also uncomfortable.

When we got out of the college and started walking along the street, there was a gap between us that Yongguk could have fit in easily. It was hard not to think about whether or not I should shorten it but nerves got the better of each plan I made.

“What kind of art do you do?” His question surprised me enough to make me forget everything I had been doing for the past year and a half that I had been studying at the art school.

“Oh…um I really love drawing but I do a lot of experimental art, you know, crossing mediums and such.” I nodded when I finished and gauged his reaction. He seemed pleased with my answer and that made me extra happy to be doing what I was.

We walked in a heavy silence for a long while that was interjected with small questions every so often about my art or his dancing, even a few things about our respective relationships with Yongguk and the others.

I was praying to be comfortable in his presence but my nerves were uncontrollable. It was like the butterflies in my tummy had turned into raging zombie butterflies that were trying to eat me from the inside out. Luckily I was distracted easily from the pesky insects inside me since I could see Jongup's hands in his pockets, fidgeting as he clenched them again and again. Strangely it fascinated me, just because I didn’t know why he was doing it. Every so often he also looked as if he wanted to say something but stopped himself and sighed. Each time I felt a little more disappointed but I wasn’t sure what I was hoping for.

“You look good in my jacket.” Finally he spoke! And I was beyond flattered at what he said. He was complimenting me more than just saying my shoes were cool and it made my mind blank with infatuation. I knew the most I could say was that I had a school girl crush but it was really affecting my ability to think right. I was screaming internally at everything he did because of how handsome he was just all the time.

“Also, um, how...how about tomorrow night? I can come by at 6 maybe?” He rubbed his neck shyly but I was utterly confused. “Or uh, whatever’s best for you?” I was surprised at his question and forgot my butterflies, looking straight into his eyes. “You know, for that date, remember?” He looked away and bit his lip again, a bashful expression spread across his face.  A poorly timed thought came to me that his poor lips would be sore from how he often he took them in his teeth. I knew if I had said that to Yongguk he would have told me to 'kiss them better'. My mind crumpled just imagining it.

“Oh,” I’d forgotten just for the day. I was so worried about seeing Jongup again, about the walk home that it had not even occurred to me – despite me freaking out over it since he had asked.  “Yeah, uh sure.” I smiled up at him, he wasn’t much taller than me, and he gave me a relieved look.

After his question the gap had closed a little and I was thankful. We walked for not much longer, the whole thing only having taken about fifteen minutes.

“This is me.” I said, pointing at my bright red door. Jongup stopped when he realised I had and looked where I pointed. My mother had thought it was a funky and cool idea to have a red door, to be different, and although I agreed, some days it just made me embarrassed. This was one of them. But I cocked my head when I saw him laugh at the vivid colour, evidently excited that it was unlike the other grey and white ones along the street.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then.” He waved and I nodded as he began to walk away. I traced the path to the dorm in my head.

“Oh, Jongup-ssi! Your jacket!” I started taking it off so that he didn’t have to stay too long but he put up both his hands and waved hurriedly.

“Oh no. You can keep it for a bit longer. The weather is going to get colder soon, so you might need it.” He smiled happily and I couldn’t stop my own smile.

“But I have my own jackets.” I could see his intentions in his warm brown eyes that were melting my heart like chocolate. Jongup just shrugged and walked away with his hands in his pockets before I could say anything else.