Page 6

TRAX [ One Shots ]

 

 

Title             : Be A Babysitter

Characters   : Jay, Jungmo, Kim Junghoon (fictional character)

Length         : 1231 words


 

Jay was making his coffee when someone opened the door in his apartment. He glanced at the living room to see Jungmo coming in. He was not alone. He came with a little boy holding his hand.

“Jungmo, who is he?” Jay asked from the kitchen.

“He is my nephew, Kim Junghoon. He is still four years old.” Jungmo said as he released his hand from the boy.  “Jay? May I ask your favor?”

Jay frowned. “What do you want me to do?” He walked to the living room, meeting his friend and the little boy.

“I want you to take care of him while I am going to the musical.”

“WHAT?!” Jay widened his eyes.

“Please, just this night.. His parents asked me to take care of him and they will pick him up tomorrow.  But, I have a musical to attend now. That’s why I want you to replace me when I am performing my musical. Please, Jay...”

“No! I am not usual to babysit!”

“Please, you have nothing to do now. So, why not? Just this time, do it for me.” Jungmo glanced at his watch. It was 6.37 pm. “I have to go now...  Junghoon, don’t be a naughty boy. Uncle Jay is a kindhearted man. So, don’t be afraid. You’ll play with him till I come back again. Okay?” He said to the boy.

“Okay!” Junghoon said.

“Jungmo?” Jay called.

Jungmo grinned, ignoring his friend's protest. “Bye Jay! I’m going!!” He said before went away, leaving Jay and his nephew in the living room.

Jay looked down at the boy. The boy looked up at Jay and smiled widely. They were looking each other for a few seconds. Jay finally looked away and sat on the couch to drink his coffee. Junghoon followed him to sit beside him and kept looking at Jay.

“Uncle Jay?” Junghoon called.

“Hn?”

“Let’s play something..”

“Play by yourself.  I’m tired!” He said coldly.

Hearing Jay’s words, Junghoon looked down and frightened.

Jay looked at the sad boy and felt guilty, regretting his words. Sure, he could not say something harsh to a little child. He sighed. “All right.. We’ll play after I drink my coffee. Okay?”

“Okay.”

“Good! I think I have something for you to eat. Just wait here..” Jay got up from his seat, walking to the kitchen. He took a pack of potato chips and biscuits from the rack. Then, he walked back to the boy .

“Do you like this?” Jay asked as he handed him the snacks.

Junghoon’s face turned bright when he saw Jay brought him snacks. “Yes.. Thank you.” He said as he put the chip in his mouth, eating it happily.

 

[ 4o Minutes Later ]

“Junghoon? I’m tired! Please, stop playing this...” Jay was begging Junghoon who was riding on his back, playing cowboy with Jay as the horse.

“Come on Uncle Jay, move again!” Junghoon commanded. "Go! Go!" 

“Okay...  after this,  I’ll stop playing and you’ll have to get off my back!” He said as he crawled again on the floor.

 

[ One Hour Later ]

Jay was watching the tv while Junghoon was busy playing with his toy. Secretly, Junghoon walked closer to the table where Jay placed his phone. His small hand reached the phone. Jay didn’t realize that Junghoon took his phone on the table and touched its sreen randomly. Then, Jay looked away from his tv to look for the boy. Then, he widened his eyes and startled to find Junghoon playing his phone.

“Yaa! Junghoon, give it to me! It’s not a toy!” Jay shouted as he stepped toward the boy to get his phone.

“No, Uncle Jay! It’s amazing and colorful! It can shine. My toys can’t.” Junghoon replied.

“Junghoon?!” Jay tried to snatch his phone, but the boy refused to give the phone.

“No!” The boy said.

“You!! Don’t make me mad!” Jay started to get annoyed.

“I say no!!” Junghoon stuck his tounge out before run away with Jay’s phone.

“Junghoon! Give my phone, now! Or you’ll regret!” Jay said before run to catch the boy.

They were kept running around his apartment room many times before Jay finally grabbed the boy and took his phone from Junghoon’s hand.

“You are really naughty boy. Okay! This is your punishment.” Jay said as he quickly tickled Junghoon. The boy started laughing and screaming in joy.

Jay released Junghoon and sat on the couch after satisfied tickling him. Junghoon run again but he tripped on his toys, sending him to fall on the floor. Jay quickly turned his head when he was hearing a loud thud which was followed with a sound of crying boy.

“Junghoon?!” Jay called as he run to help him. He bent down and help Junghoon to sit. “Hey.. Do you get hurt?” Jay examined his body to find any injury. Fortunately, he found nothing. “Sssh... It’s okay.. Don’t cry, Jihoon..” His hands erased the boy’s tears from his cheeks before picked him up in his arms, carrying him to the couch. “It’s all right... Stop crying.. I'm here for you..” Jay said with soft voice, calming the boy in his arm. "Listen to me.. If you want to grow up as strong as hero, you have to be strong too.. Don't cry because of this matter because you are a boy. Stop crying now or superman will be here and he don't want to be your friend anymore."

Jay took an superman doll on the couch and showed it to Junghoon. He made his voice sounded like superman, "Junghoon.. Superman is coming!" He moved the doll like it was the real superman.

Jonghoon slowly stopped crying and listened to Jay's dubbing.

"Don't cry, okay? You have uncle Jay with you. He'll accompany you playing everything you want as long as you stop crying."

"Really, superman?"

"Of course! Do you agree with me Jay?" Jay made the superman facing him. Then he nooded and said. "Yes, I do!" He answered to himself.

Junghoon smiled again. "Okay! Let's play again, Uncle Jay! I still have much toys in my bag. Come on!" Junghoon grabbed Jay's wrist and pulled him to follow him.

Jay sighed in despairing. "This must be a long night to go." He muttered in a very low voice which barely heard by Junghoon.

 

[ One and a Half Hour Later ]

Jay was lying on the thick carpet with a big pillow under his head. He felt so tired this time because he just  came back from filming the drama and got this little brat instead of taking a rest. He had been non stop playing with the boy for more than two hours. He looked at the clock. It had been 9.48 pm. Then, he looked at Junghoon who was sitting besides him, still playing with his plane.

“Hey, Junghoon?” Jay called.

“Hmm?” The boy answered without looking at his uncle.

“Don’t you feel tired? Don’t you feel sleepy?” Jay said before yawned widely.

“No...”

Jay sighed. “But, I’m so tired and sleepy. I want to sleep soon. Let’s sleep. It’s getting late.” Jay suggested. “You can continue playing again tomorrow..”

“....??” The boy looked at Jay for a moment before he lied his body next to Jay.

Jay smiled. “Good boy... Now, what do you usually do before sleep?”

“Mom always sings a song for me or tell me a story..”

“Lullaby? All right... I’ll sing a song for you..” Jay began singing.

Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are.
Up above the world so high
Like a diamond in the sky
Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are

Jay’s voice was getting slower and soft as he could not hold his sleepy anymore. He fell asleep as soon as he finished the song. He sung the lullaby and he slept by himself. Yeah, he was Jay. Junghoon stared at the sleeping Jay besides him and smiled.

Then, someone opened the door. Junghoon quickly sat up on the carpet and looked at the living room to see Jungmo coming back.

“Hi, Junghoon? Aren’t you sleeping?” Jungmo asked as he walked closer to his nephew.

Junghoon shook his head. “Look.. Uncle Jay is the one who is sleeping.” He ended his words with a chuckle. His index finger was pointing Jay who was sleeping soundly.

“Really?” Jungmo looked at his leader’s sleeping face and smiled. “You are the babysitter here, but why do you end up falling asleep?” He shook his head in astonishment. “By the way, thanks Jay. You must be really tired.”