Page 4

TRAX [ One Shots ]

 

 

Title            : The Singing Beggars

Characters   : Jay Kim and fictional character (Billy)

Length         : 1.655 words


 

Jay was walking down the street at night to fill his rumbling stomach. He wanted to eat burger this time so he decided to buy it one in Mcdonald's near his hotel. Jay had finished his performance in SMTown live world tour in LA, that's why he could go freely. He was glad to be back again in his old town where he lived long time ago before he moved to Korea. He looked at this town and it had changed a lot.

The Mcdonald's had been seen in the cross road, so Jay stopped his feet, waiting for the traffic light show the green for pedestrian. After a few seconds of waiting, the green light was . Jay crossed the road to get into his destiny. Then, he saw a young boy in the central park where a lot of people were walking around and enjoying the town in the night time. The boy around his twelve years old was playing his guitar with a small carton box set on the ground. Jay stopped for a while, staring at the empty box, then looked at the boy.

"He was playing for money.." Jay said before continued his step to get in the restaurant. Jay ordered two big beef burgers and cokes. He payed it off after he got his food in his hands. He walked out the Mcdonald's and headed to the boy who he saw before. The boy was not playing his guitar anymore. He was just sitting on the bench. His eyes staring at the ground when Jay stood before him.

"You must be hungry. Here you go..." Jay handed him a paper bag of burger and a big cup of coke.

The boy looked up at Jay. He didn't give a response, looked confused.

Jay smiled, "Take this, so we could eat together. I'm hungry too.."

"Really?" His eyes turned bright.

Jay nodded and sat besides him. The boy took the the bag and opened it. He looked so happy when he saw a big burger in it.

"Thank you, Mister..." The boy said.

"Yeah.. What's your name? I'm Jay."

"I'm Billy. Are you a tourist?" He asked before he took a bite his burger.

Jay just smiled at this kid. He didn't know that he was a singer who did a concert in this place, although he was unpopular. He didn't want to tell this kid about it, because it was not a big thing to say. So, Jay just answered, "Yes. I spent my holiday here, but only for two days. I'll go back to Korea again tomorrow."

"Ah... You are Korean. I thought you're Japanese. Nice to meet you..."

Jay chuckled, "Nice to meet you too..." He bit his burger. "Why are you working till this night? Don't you have a homework to do?"

"No.. I don't take school. My parents were dead. I just live with my uncle and he has no money to send me to school. That's why, I work till this late to help him getting money."

Jay looked at the boy in sympathy. In his young age, he had to endure a hard time.

"Hey Mist-" The boy was about to say but Jay interrupted him.

"Stop calling me mister. Just call me Jay, okay?"

"Okay.. Jay, why are you so kind to me?"

"Nothing. I just want to share with you. I had ever in your age and I can't stand to be hungry. So, I came here to share my food with you because sharing is a good thing to do... Let me tell you, help everyone who need, so they'll help you back when you need."

"Yeah.. but I don't have money to help people.."

"Hey... Help is not always about money. You can help with your energy." Jay paused for a while before he continued, "People is not always in the top and people is not always in bottom because there is a wheel of life. If you're in bottom now, you have to believe that someday, you'll be a success person like what you're dreaming. You see what I mean?"

"Yes, I know, Jay..."

Jay smiled, "Good boy.. All you have to do is hard work and don't ever give up... If you've done eating, I'll help you getting money."

"How?"

"You'll see..." Jay eat his burger again till it all got into his stomach.

*

*

*

"Hey Jay, are you sure about this?" Billy asked Jay who stood beside him.

"Yes, I'm sure. Now, tell me what song do you like the most and know the full chord? Maybe I can sing it."

"What about Your Guardian Angel by Red Jumpsuit Apparatus?"

Jay put his hand in his chin, remembering the whole song in his mind. "Okay. I knew it. Come on, let's start." He finally said.

Jay stepped forward and put down their carton box on the ground. He took a deep breath.

"Good night everyone! My name is Jay and he is Billy. Let us sing a song to warm your beautiful moment this night. First song is from Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Your guardian angel. Enjoy the song..." He said loudly and gained many people attention in success. People stopped their feet to see what they would do.

Billy started picking his guitar strings as the beutiful melody came out from his playing. Jay began singing. Some people in the crowd were whispering to each other.

"He has a really good voice." The man said.

"Yeah.. I love it too, he sings well." the other agreed.

Jay kept singing as more people were coming to see their performance.

 

Use me as your will

Pull my string just for a thrill

And I know I’ll be okay

Though my skies are turning gray

 

I will never let you fall

I’ll stand up with you forever

I’ll be there for you through it all

Even if saving you sends me to heaven

 

It was the last lyric from the song and Jay finished singing. The loud applause was heard from eveyone. They put their money in the box. Then a teenage girl asked him, "Hey, are you korean?"

"Yes.." Jay ansewered.

She smiled at Jay, "Sing a k-pop song and I'll give you more money."

"Yeah... Sing again!!" Her friends said.

"Uh... Y-yes, sure."

Jay looked down at the boy. The boy looked up at him and grinned.

"I know nothing about korean song. So, play it by yourself.." He gave his guitar to Jay. Jay looked hesitant when he took the guitar. He knew it that he could not play as good as Jungmo did. But, he had to do this, now. 'Let's hope I won't make any mistakes.’ He thought.

Jay put the guitar belt on his shoulder and checked the intro chords. When he felt he was picking right, Jay looked at his audience.

"I will sing a song entitle Oh My Goddess by Trax. It’s a nice song. Hope you'll like this."

Jay began playing his guitar and singing

 

So one hadeon two my girl
Three nuni busin rorellai oh
Hey lady four my love five bunman mannajullae?

Jigyeowotdeon ibyeol sangcheo nunmul modu Stop
Neo wonhandamyeon eodideunji I will go
Uh! Neol barae neol wonhae na wanna wanna wonhae neol

Nuni nuni neoman baraboge haneun Girl
Nae mami mami neoreul gadeuk chaewobeorin geol
Badajwo nae mam aetage neol Waiting Baby
Nuni nuni neoman barabogo inneun Boy
Nae mami mami geunyeo maeum ppaeseobeorin Boy
Oh jebal nan deo jichineun geon No More Baby
O! Naui yeosin

.........................

 

*

*

*

"Wow, I had never gotten this much money before and you could do it in the first try. Awesome!" Billy was saying while they were counting their money on the bench. They had finished their work as singers.

"Don't mention it.. All this money is for you, Billy." Jay handed the money.

"You don't wanna take it some?" He offered Jay.

Jay shook his head, "No. You need it more than me. And..." He took out his wallet from his pocket and gave some of his money to the boy. "This is from me."

"Hey, you don't have to.. What we get now is more than enough."

"Please, just take this.." Jay grabbed the boy’s hand and put the money on it.

Billy looked at the smiling Jay. "Thank you so much. You're really a kind man." He said.

"That's my boy." Jay Billy's hair. "I have to go now. Be a good boy and don't ever give up on your dream." He said as he got up.

"Sure!" He smiled.

"Bye!" Jay waved his hand as he started to walked away.

"Wait, Jay!" He called before he was getting far. Jay turned around to see Billy run closer to him.

"Give me your autograph on my guitar." Billy offered his guitar.

"What?" Jay was surprised.

"Come on.. So, I'll never forget you."

"But, I'm not an artist." Jay lied.

"It doesn't matter. In my eyes, what you've done for me today, make you more precious than the real artist."

Jay smiled at him. He was very happy hearing those words. He took the boys marker from his hand and wrote down a message on the corner of his guitar...

 

Dear Billy : Jay Kim will always support you!!

 

... then finished it with his autograph.

"Thank you.. God bless you, Jay." The boy said as he took back his guitar.

He tapped Billy’s shoulder, "Yeah, God bless you too. Good bye, Billy. Take care of yourself."

Jay finally left the boy. He was glad to meet the boy. This night was the night that he would always remember, a new friend and a new job. It was his first experience as a singing beggar. Yeah, he had already been a singer, but he was the stage singer, not a street singer. Jay was smiling to himself while he was walking back to his hotel. "LA... you always give me the good moments whenever I am here. That's what I miss from you."