The Way You Make Me Feel

Unforeseeable

He tried not to show it, but his challenging smirk was faltering. For some reason, he stated it proudly to him who was enjoying his drinks, regarding that one skill he never knew the other has, ‘I can captivate anyone just by dancing.’

His statement intrigued him as much as the lopsided grin on his face. ‘Let me be the judge of that then.’

It was a request he never thought he would fulfilled, then here he sits before him, drinking the sight that was given as opposed to the cocktails that were drowning his senses.

His chuckle still echoes in his ears as he made him the bar stool, facing a certain spot on the floor. His coat was given, leaving him only in his perfectly fitted blue shirt; his grin still present as he held the awaiting man’s challenging gaze. Woohyun has his left arm propped comfortably on the counter of the bar; giving him the go ahead.

The music is not the typical melody you would’ve grooved your body to, the beat in mid-tempo and is an interesting hybrid of jazz and pop; unsurprising, the party is supposed to be a sophisticated gathering.

Hardly any were even bothered with dancing; the director being the exception, of course.

 

Howon was worried about him, being in the same place where the man he loves would be with his fiancé. The sad, troubled him is the last thing he wanted to see and whenever a storm decides to batter through his life, dancing enables him to endure.

And he thought the same can be with Woohyun.

 

It’s been long since he last dances; he never finds the time to, the clinic taking over his priority in life. He was sure Sungyeol and Sungjong wouldn’t believe it if they were to see him, but Woohyun is making him do things once again.

Inhaling the music, he feels them entering his body, loosening his muscles to its once familiar agility. The way he moves was slow and understated at first, the segments to his body separated like a piece of ungraspable machinery; hands playing with the collar of his shirt, lips with a teasing smirk. The small, fluid movements hid not his finesse and grace.

Then he begins to turn, twirl, or whatever terms it is used in dancing. His strong posture and challenging mind crumbling under Howon’s charm, to see a man painting music with his body was a bit unprecedented to him; how his body was seemingly complying to the beats and melody. Others begun to noticed, given, because the man demands attention.

Was he made of liquid and air, or is there a spell that he uses that makes everything feels ethereal, because Woohyun couldn’t stop himself from gawking, mouth gaping, a bit too mesmerised by his doings. 

And he wasn’t alone. A crowd circling him became one, clapping their hands along to the music as they fall for the melody and his performance. 

He swiftly moves his body, relishing in the rush he had long missed. Howon has a smile on his face, enjoying in the feel he had long missed, but his eyes keeps going back to him and it warms his heart somehow at the sight of him, looking a bit in awe with everything. Cutie.

Glimpsing that amused smile as he dances his way towards him jolted Woohyun to find his composure. Act cool Woohyun, act cool.

He stood still before him, bowing slightly to level his sight with Woohyuns’. He smiles that lopsided smile, making the other’s heart skips a beat faster, because the way his eyes roam his own is unnerving. As if with just that glance, he can unravel him somehow.

 He hears him huffing and puffing, catching his breath after the exertion, and it felt like long time has passed by when in actuality it was only seconds. ‘Come dance with me.’                                                            

                       ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

He wished he could run away. He rather deals with a boardroom packed with stubborn hot shots than the big, pure eyes, yearning to talk. Good thing she was there by his side, effectively shutting his window of opportunity.

‘Can you not head the project, hyung? ’Cause you know, there is a clear conflict of interest.’

Sunggyu was getting exasperated, sighing for the umpteenth of time, rolling his eyes to show him his thinning patience. ‘I’ve went against companies owned by my college mates. Heck, I even went against companies that Myungsoo represented, yet you’ve never stopped me before. You know well enough that this is just business.’

He was about to state something, pressing the points he doesn’t want to understand. Dongwoo always view things in a complicated manner, a view he prefers not to share.

Thank goodness for her presence; their topic was immediately replaced by casual matters.

The two were practically two peas in a pot--too similar, too involved, which is fine with him, as long as he stops trying to convinced me.

 

Embroiled in talks faraway, they wouldn’t have noticed if she hasn’t.

Casually turning to view the surroundings, she saw them and how they were dancing together. A smile naturally carves itself to her face, ‘Look at those two.’ And her two companions trace her gaze, uncovering the sight that captures her attention. 

 Howon controlled, graceful moves, contrasted completely from the wild Woohyun. Nothing else seems to matter but the other, joy and laughter written heavily upon them. ‘They look so happy don’t they?’

Slipping her fingers into his, she scoots herself closer, feeling warm from the sight that makes her seeks for her own source of happiness. And when his eyes met hers, and he smiles that smile that makes her heart widened to the size of the universe, she knows the two feel the same way as she does.

Because the light that is brought about by love is contagious, making those experiencing wanting to feel its warmth directly, and it can easily be detected by any human being with a beating heart as its shine overpowers everything.

Ah, love, what a wonder.

And alone Sarang is not in detecting the glow. He has been observing and he can’t help it, the feeling of uneasiness that exists whenever he saw the two interacting, ‘Yeah...they look really happy.’

 The low lights accentuates it, the glint Dongwoo swore he saw in the director’s eyes as he looks on at the dancing Woohyun, smiling brightly. He looks too happy, as if Woohyun is his.

 

One man is nonchalant, feeling rather passive and uncaring.

Another is worried, albeit his responses and grin stating otherwise.

Then there’s the young lady who smiles in delight, thinking how lovely it is to see the two.

 Funny how a sight can be viewed in many different ways; Howon leading Woohyun from behind, his hands holding his waist, walking him over to the privacy of the balcony outside.

And Dongwoo’s gaze discreetly lingers almost invasively at the two. It seems Howon is teasing Woohyun once again. Seeing his playful grin and unbreakable stare, Woohyun’s animated gesturing only makes the other chuckle; he was constantly amused by him.

That glint in his eyes scared him, the words innocent casualties ringing in his head. He could only sigh seeing him do that one thing that looks to be natural for him lately, too natural.

Underneath the moonlight, they look magical, a picture of envy for all cold and lonely beings.

One hand holds gently upon his waist, the other comforting his neck. A quick peck upon his lips is replaced by a kiss that lasted longer than intended. Then he laughs a quiet laugh as they separated, being so close, gazing deeply into his eyes.

They look natural indeed.

  

Sometimes, he finds himself feeling helpless.

Even as he took those steps, getting further away from him, even as he was doing the most mundane of things; Woohyun would pull him in, making his sight lingers that much longer. He tried to contain his smile as best as he could, yet the edge of his lips would only stretch and stretch, making visible of his dimples that complement the light in his eyes.

‘Why bother making me dance in the first place?’

The answer that first materialises within surprises him, I just want to see you smile. But then he reasoned, who wouldn’t. Really, that’s normal.

The blinking lights of the city of Seoul spread before him, looking like a night sky filled with twinkling little stars. But due to the lightings, he could hardly see a real star up on the vast sky.  

The view finally captures his attention though. That is after a woman has interrupted him and his state of stupor.

‘If you stare too long, you might just burn a hole through that boyfriend of yours.’ Her smile was playful, reminding Howon of her magnetic ability to be affable.

‘My, my... Someone’s in too deep. You can’t even keep your eyes off of him, can you?’ Sarang and her surprising observations make him feel as if he was a great actor. He could only chuckle awkwardly along with her, ignoring how her teasing makes his heart beats a little bit funnily.

She talks, he listens. She asks, he answers and she looks really happy, glowing even. And upon stating that, she states that he seems to be the same too.

Their conversation was short, but it left him feeling...odd.

‘Here’s my advice. Next time, take a picture. It’ll last longer.’ She patted his shoulder and leaves with a wink, finding her way to Woohyun who was eating inside.

 He shook his head, chasing the feeling away, inhaling the air that feels colder now that someone is not by his side. Wait. A heavy sigh was released, shaking his head once again, he determinedly look at what the vista has to offer.

A suiting distraction.

He scans the city but spotted one particular building. Rising high above the rest, the bright Namsan Tower captivates him, looking like a guiding star for those who are lost. It reminded Howon to the story of Pinocchio, wondering whether that bright, white lightings could be that of a fairy, which fulfils any and every wishes.

‘Stars can make your wish come true.’

 

‘What are you laughing at?’ His chuckling may died down but his smile is still there. Woohyun handed him a glass of fresh juice, cocking his head at his peculiar behaviour.  He looks happy in his own little world.

The director took the glass gladly, not realising he was feeling parched, standing in the cold. He gazes out to the city before him, suddenly remembering that one instance that occurred when he was just a child.

‘Aren’t you going to share it with me?’ Woohyun bumps playfully to his side, mirroring the smile on the other’s face. He scans him who is serene, finding it interesting how he feels he can easily lets him in.

And so, he tells his story.

‘I have a million interests when I was a kid. I was at the age where everything leaves an impression.’ From movies to cartoons, even documentaries he saw fleetingly, it was an age where you feel you could do everything.

‘I remembered this one time where I was completely obsessed with fireflies. Don’t ask me why, because I really don’t remember...but I thought it was amazing, how that tiny little bug can light up.’

He remembers being in the first grade, forcing Sungyeol to search books in the library about the creature, having his mother searched for information using the then thick computer monitor. He remembers the image he saw, in the complete darkness of a swamp, how thousands of them light up, looking like littered stars on a night sky. ‘They looked magical.’

‘One night, I forced my mom to take me to a zoo, and because she said, all animals in the world reside in zoos, I was completely disappointed when there were no fireflies. I think I made a huge case out of it.’ His mother having to cradle him, buying him an ice-cream that he refused to eat, feeling somewhat betrayed by her. ‘I was 7...it was dramatic.’

Woohyun sees the lights of the city twinkling in his eyes. Yet again, it may very well be his memory that does that; he too smiling along with the man absorbed by a distant time.

Howon doesn’t remember how long he threw the tantrum; he just remembers burying his head on her shoulder, sobbing wholeheartedly, hearing her soft chuckle and appeasing lullaby as she rocked her body, gentle hands caressing his hair.

 ‘My Howonnie really do love his fireflies doesn’t he?’

He nodded pouting, trying to shake off the fingers that were pinching his chubby cheeks. ‘Well, can’t you tell mommy why you love it so much?’

And the answer was simple. ‘Because they look pretty... like the stars.’ The little child could only imagine how spectacular it will be, to see them scatter before him, surrounding him. He thought, it must’ve been a lot like an astronaut floating over the cosmos, being so close to all spectacular rocks above.

‘Hmm...You mean like the stars over there?’ She pointed somewhere to the sky, and his young eyes saw a few twinkling and nodded longingly. ‘Mommy I really, really wanna see them.’

Her laughter vibrates through him and she hugs him a little tighter as his unending tears fell. Then her whispered revelation redirects his attention, from that of disappointment to that of hope, ‘If you want to see them, you can tell the stars.’

He tilts his head, not understanding her. Her hands cupped the tiny face, and she planted strong kisses to both of his cheeks. ‘Don’t tell me that my baby doesn’t know about this? Stars can make your wish come true.’

‘I wished, but...it never happened.’ He wishes a lot to the stars, even when he is old enough to know it was all but a fairy-tale. ‘But I will say, ‘seeing real-life fireflies’ is officially in my bucket list.’

Woohyun titters at his statement, finding it adorable he still held tight to a childhood wish. ‘You don’t say...,’ states he quietly as they became lost, basking in the joy of their own little world.                                          

                                                                                -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

He is a thorough lad, sitting comfortably before him, he scans all information provided.

‘This is perfect. I will report it to my boss as soon as I can, so... there shouldn’t be any problem.’ Myungsoo finds his dimpled smile to be pleasant. He is a great professional, but the lawyer has to laud his ability to build rapport.

He had only taken over the role as a rep for Pyeonghwa Corporation for the past 2 weeks, the previous rep needing to take personal leave; his father had apparently fallen ill. But the man, who Myungsoo figures to be a few years older than him, was up-to-date and he was fast.

He digests everything at a speed of lightning and was never short of worthy ideas. Even his beloved mentor finds him witty, and that is hard to come.

The way he sees it, he was more efficient than the previous man. Hence, everything is going smoothly in Myungsoo’s professional world. ‘I supposed all I’m left to do is to set up a meeting for you and the director.’

He nods in agreement, reaching for the tea prepared. ‘Any time is fine by me, but Myungsoo-ssi... I have a request to make.’ Myungsoo gave him a smile, allowing him to continue where he left off. He seemed hesitant, the lawyer notices him play, ever so discreetly with the end of his tie.

‘Can you please not mention my name to the director?’

The request was stated carefully, but it was by no means, unconfident.

Myungsoo was confused by it, for a second tilting his head like a child would, trying to understand something new. It’s basic professional protocol, to at least know the name of the people you’ll be working with, ‘But...wouldn’t it be best if...’

‘I like to introduce myself personally.’ And here he resumes; his leading quality. His smile is commanding, but not in a dictating manner. He was always pleasant, somehow having the ability to make people do as he wishes without leaving a bad taste in their mouths.

Myungsoo sees him as a charismatic person. He knows how to speak and what to do. ‘I feel that it’s best if I do it this way.’ He added firmly.

Then Myungsoo remembers his vested interest upon the director that was close to crossing the professional boundaries. Myungsoo wouldn’t have said anything, if not for his trusting nature, thinking no harm can be created.

But it was his reactions that held significance. It was as if he had known Howon somehow, in a distant past that is unknown to him. The lawyer was tempted to ask, but he pushes it aside and thought nothing of them.

 Now, he isn’t so sure anymore.

He feels as if he’s missing something.

‘That’s fine with you, right... Myungsoo-ssi?’ His question draws him back to the present. One leg over the other, he sips the tea gracefully, smiling ever so brightly.

‘Sure, that shouldn’t be a problem.’

And Myungsoo could’ve sworn the other could hear the reservations in his voice. But everything was set, and any uncertainty was left unsaid. Myungsoo merely smiles affably, downing his own cup of tea, engaging in a casual conversation the other had started on how their day has been.

The lawyer thought his companion has an uncanny ability to make people feels secure even when there is an air of mystery shrouding him. He can make people trust him in a blink of an eye.

 It’s a great thing he’s on our side.                                                             

                              --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 

He enters his room ever so quietly, tiptoeing to the bed of the man deep within his sleep. His soft snoring sounding drenched with exhaustion.

For a second he feels sorry, not wanting to disturb him. They had a long night.

But then again, today he feels like being a fairy.

Just like the one in Pinocchio that grants a child’s wish, true. So he gets closer to the figure buried underneath the thick blanket, and carefully sits beside him, pulling the blanket away, letting him see the face he yearns to see.

At the sight of him, he smiles a big bright smile, feeling comforted somehow. Underneath the low light, his features were perfection. For a second, he sat frozen by his side, merely gazing upon his tranquil appearance.

And all he could think of was, ‘Baby.’

 

 

--------

 'Take a picture, it'll last longer' is actually a quote from the movie, Bridge to Terabithia. Ah...I love that movie so much. : ))) 

And one more thing......

                                          

                                               Merry Christmas to those celebrating..and since I'm at it, Happy New Year!!!!