Chapter 16

Silent Tao

 

Like I said, this is my favorite story.

So obviously I was going to update this before any other story. . .

 


 

March 17th, 2013

Tao's Current Age: 18

 

10:00 am

*beep beep*

Kris groggily turned in his bed to turn off his phone's alarm.

Once that constant sound was silenced, he remembered why he put that alarm in the first place.

Tao.

Since visiting hours started at 11, Kris took his time getting up and showering. It was 10:45 by the time he stepped out of the bathroom.

Making breakfast of simple bibimbap and water(he can't cook, and he's fully aware of it), his phone buzzed.

Kris ignored it. Satisfying his hunger came first. He'll just call back later.

But when he sat down with a bowl, a pitcher of water, and a cup, it rang for the seventh time (Yes, that's how long it took for Kris to make bibimbap. Don't judge.)

Annoyed, he poured himself some water and picked up the glass. Then he shuffled over and answered up his cellphone.

"Hello?"

"Kris," Luhan said angrily.

"What?" he whined. "I'm eati-"

"Kris," Luhan interrupted. "Why aren't you answering my calls?"

"Why? What's going on?" Kris asked, bringing the cup to his lips.

"Kris, get your to the hospital, now, or else," Luhan threatened.

The cup stopped moving. "Why?"

"L. Joe was just diagnosed with paralysis, and Tao just went into shock."

Kris dropped the cup. He heard the piece of porcelain shatter, and he was aware of the cuts now on his feet, but none of that mattered now.

Tao.

"I'm coming."

 

 

 

9:00 am (flashback from the same day)

L. Joe's eyes fluttered open and he quietly moved around on the bed to get more comfortable.

"You awake?"

L. Joe gasped, then sighed. "I was hoping I wouldn't wake you up."

Tao rolled over so that he was facing the other. "I was already awake," he answered, sitting up. He looked around the room, his eyes resting on the huge glass pitcher of water next on his bedside table.

"Water?" he asked, filling a cup.

"Yeah," L. Joe said, then realizing, "please."

Tao cracked a smile while pouring into another cup.

He grabbed both and handed one to L. Joe. "Cheers," he said jokingly.

It was L. Joe's turn to show a hint of a smile before hungrily gulping down the liquid.

Tao calmly brought the water to his mouth, but a sound of coughing interrupted him.

He turned to see L. Joe turning red and shaking violently. "L. Joe, are you okay?"

L. Joe fell off of the bed and started to spasm and twist, clutching himself.

Tao dropped his cup on his bed, spilling the contents all over the sheets, but he didn't care.

He stood up and ran to the speaker.

"Nurse?! Doctor?! Please help!" he begged.

5 minutes later, L. Joe was wheeled out of the room on a stretcher to the emergency room, still jerking and seizuring, and Tao fainted to the floor, only to be carried out right after L. Joe.