Makes The Heart Grow Fonder

Love Grows With Separation

 

"I'll be there before your plane leaves. Wait for me.
 
-Seunghyun"
 
Seunghyun stared at the black box in his hand as he watched the blue dots light up in sequence. Once his message was sent, he sighed. Would Ji Eun wait for him?
 
 
Ji Eun's POV
 
Had he changed his mind?
 
Would he really show up?
 
I locked my phone and sat down on one of the airport benches. I'd arrived early simply beacause I couldn't bear to stay at home anymore. I got the message from Seunghyun almost the moment I got to the airport.
 
My plane was leaving in an hour. Would he really be able to make it?
 
I stood up and picked up my suitcase. It was Seunghyun. He would do it.
 
She would wait.
 
 
Seunghyun's POV
 
I sat still, staring at my phone. A picture of Ji Eun smiled up at me. It was a picture I had taken when she hadn't been looking, giggling at something in her book and listening to music. She looked so happy and cheerful, so at peace.
 
I hated that I made her walk away unhappy. I hated the look in her eyes when she'd waited for me to say something to her.
 
I knew that I would never be able to live with myself if I let her disappear like that. I wouldn't be able to survive without seeing her smiling face another time - for the rest of my life.
 
Those past few days without that beautiful smile had been torture. Those days where I had been separated from Ji Eun made me realize just how much I loved her. 
 
My suitcase was packed, all other loose ends cleared up. I was ready to go, ready to join Ji Eun overseas. I was ready to tell her everything, spend the rest of my life with her, and remove the space that had been formed between us.
 
I locked the door behind me when I walked out, looking at the house with something almost like regret. But I didn't regret anything. I knew what I wanted. 
 
For the first time in a long time, I smiled. Just at the thought of the girl waiting for me.
 
When I turned around, I didn't see the street like I thought I would. I saw instead a mass of black all around me.
 
Black suits.
 
"Leaving without paying us? That's low."
 
The first blow to the face hurt.
 
 
Ji Eun's POV
 
"Passengers for flight seven may start boarding. Flight seven."
 
The plane was already boarding and Seunghyun wasn't here yet. I sat still in the black chair, watching as large groups of people walked past me. None of them had Seunghyun in them.
 
He'd said he'd come... I bit back tears and continued to wait. He would show up.
 
It was Seunghyun.
 
I waited until there were only two people left in line. By then, the area was practically vacated.
 
"Miss?" I looked up to see a flight attendant standing in front of me. "Are you boarding flight seven?"
 
I nodded.
 
"You're the last passenger. Please, come with me."
 
I slung my bag strap over my shoulder and looked around the area again.
 
I was the last passenger.
 
Seunghyun wasn't going to come.
 
A salty bead rolled down my face and I turned to follow the flight attendent.
 
I guess I was wrong. I may have loved Seunghyun, but he didn't love me.
 
 
 
Love grows with separation, because distance makes the heart grow fonder.