And I Think To Myself

Fireworks [One Shot]


New Year’s Eve

“Yay! Score!” An excited Luhan shouts, furiously pressing on the buttons of his game console. Ah, what a perfect New Year’s Eve, Luhan thinks. He pushes his glasses up and sips a cup of chocolate milk before resuming. His thumbs were getting soar after a short while, because he doesn’t do much exercise. The only legitimate exercise he probably does is when he plays video games (he’d say Dance Dance Revolution but he rarely even does that) and when he types on his keyboard. Other than that, Luhan is a hopeless 20-year-old geek. He’s on his break from college and he decided to go home during this short vacation, only to find that his whole family had left him to go to some trip. Apparently, they didn’t know that he would come so they only booked tickets for five—his dad, mom, older sister, and younger sister. It was hard to accept at first, knowing that they’d have more fun than he will during New Year, but he got used to the idea of not having anyone around, being the lonely one he is.

Munching on a tuna sandwich he made for his dinner, he notices his phone screen brighten up, signifying that he has a new message. Like his phone, Luhan’s face also sported a big grin the moment he hears his ringtone. It was from his friend Xing. As he swipes a finger, unlocking his phone, Luhan begins to feel his heart thump a bit louder than normal.

Happy New Year Luhan! :)

Before typing in a reply, Luhan begins to contemplate. He and Xing have been friends over the internet and over the phone for roughly about a year now. And Luhan thinks that he is probably maybe sort of really in love with him. A mere text message sends butterflies to Luhan’s stomach. Thinking, he finally decides, yesI’m going to do it. He bites his lip in anxiety before tapping the send button.

You too Xing~! Hey, can we meet up tonight? Let’s watch the fireworks~

 

Ah….I’ll see if I can. Hope I can see you soon ^^

 

Maybe we’ll finally see each other,” Luhan smiles, holding his phone to his heart. He had waited for this moment to come for so long. I want to see you. Luhan crashes on his living room couch, rising his hand slowly. “Our eyes will finally see our real selves, our hands will finally touch. and maybe…” Luhan lowers his hand and grazes it over his lips, “maybe our lips will finally meet…”

 

≈≈

 

 

I’m sorry, but the Huang family is on their vacation. If you have anything important to say, please do leave a message and we’ll get back to you soon.

“How many times has it been?” Tao tries to count the number of times he’s called his home, but nobody answers every time. He’s been trying since last week, but he always got the same answer. He’s tried leaving a message or two but they’ve never replied. So, he tries to contact his parents through their phones, and after dozens of rings, Tao’s dad finally picks up.

“Hey, Dad?” Tao straightens up his jacket and reaches for the door. Walking down all the way to a black parked car, he continues his conversation with his father.

“Yes? Is there anything, Zitao?”

“Uh, yeah. I’m awfully sorry for disturbing you, but I think I need to tell you something. You guys should be back by tonight, right? Are you going to the festival? Can we meet up somewhere?” Tao stumbles on his own words, his nervousness growing with every word he says.

He slips in the previously mentioned car, and kisses his boyfriend, Wufan. He mouths a ‘hey’ and Wufan, who was in the driver’s seat, smiles in return as he holds Tao’s hand.

“…Is it really that important?”

“…Yes, I believe so.”

“Well, okay then. We’ll see you later tonight, at my house,” his dad replies, abruptly ending the call.

Tao keeps his phone in his pocket soon after. “Let’s go now, or we’ll miss out.”

“Roger that. So, you’re finally telling them?” Kris turns the key and the engine sounds.

“Yep, since you introduced me to your folks like, last year. But I don’t think they’ll accept it as much as your parents accepted us,” Tao bites his lower lip.

“We’ll get through it,” Kris reassures Tao. “For now, let’s enjoy the new year celebration.”

 

≈≈

 

Baekhyun puffs his cheeks and leans against the chair he is currently sitting in. There were only three people in this room: a security guard, another security guard, and him. Bored, he plays with his thumbs, playing thumb wrestling with himself. “Why is the flight so friggin late?” Baekhyun says for about the third time. He’s been waiting for thirty minutes, and all he had was a phone and a half-eaten burger.

“Doesn’t it ? You know, spending the New Year here,” Baekhyun looks at the two guards who were just sitting down, as relaxed and as bored as he was.

“We get used to it,” one guy replies.                                                                 

“Well, that’s still kind of a let-down. We should celebrate the New Year together some time, you know…” Baekhyun glances at his watch again. “...and why am I the only person here waiting for the plane to arrive?!” Baekhyun finishes his burger and burps. He groans, “Ugh, damned airplane traffic.”

He eventually falls asleep after some time, and a very tall man literally shakes the slumbering Baekhyun, poking him everywhere.

Baekhyun didn’t want to open his eyes at first. He tries to slap away the other boy’s fingers, but he couldn’t fight anymore. “Park Chanyeol…Took you ing long enough,” Baekhyun says sleepily. “I waited for like, ten hours. Now c’mon, let’s catch a cab. Almost 10 o’clock here.” He grabs one of Chanyeol’s backpacks and starts to exit the airport.

“Don’t I get a kiss?” Chanyeol runs after Baekhyun, who was now waiting for a taxi. Baekhyun’s cheeks turn into a light shade of pink. Realizing that he was abnormally heating up, he manages to play his best poker face so that Chanyeol won’t continue to further. He knew how playful his best friend was.

“Nope, because you made me wait.”

“How is that even my fault?” Chanyeol pouts, his eyes fixed on Baekhyun.

Baekhyun has now gotten a taxi, and he ignores Chanyeol’s need for some “loving,” which are really just sad pleas comparable to that of a puppy’s, and shoves in all his luggage in the taxi. “Hmm, I forgot to mention that I’m in a new apartment now,” Baekhyun begins, leaning against his seat once again.

“That’s great! Will we be there for the whole night?” Chanyeol unknowingly says something awkward.

Baekhyun tries to hide how flustered he is and replies, “No, we’ll be in town since it’s new year’s eve and all that. But yeah, by tomorrow you’ll probably be rolling around in my place for the rest of the week.”

Chanyeol bursts into laughter.

“It wasn’t that funny,” Baekhyun smiles a little, compliant to his friend’s showcase of idiotic charm. Chanyeol was always that airheaded, touchy-feely, clingy kind of guy.

During the ride home, Chanyeol eventually falls asleep, and thoughts begin to fill Baekhyun’s mind.

How long has it been?

Baekhyun can still remember the first time he realized that he fell for his friend; that he loved him more than a friend loves another friend—it was the kind of love wherein he just wanted to laugh, cry, and grow old with the other for the rest of his life.

It was when Chanyeol told him that he’s moving, and that he’s probably staying there for good. At that time, Baekhyun felt his chest tighten.

“Chanyeollie, you don’t want to go right? Don’t go!”         

The Baekhyun at that juncture tried his very best to stop his dear friend from leaving. But deep inside, the 10-year-old kid that Baekhyun was already knew that he couldn’t do anything about it.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun. But I’ll make sure to visit you.”

“Don’t leave, Chanyeol. I love you so don’t leave me here alone, or else you’ll…”

Chanyeol shushed Baekhyun with his finger and hugged him tight.

“Hey, I love you too. So don’t worry about it.”

And of course, Baekhyun’s worry can’t go away that easily, even though he was just a child then. However, accepting the fact that Chanyeol was leaving was the only thing Baekhyun could do.

“I never thought that we’d be visiting each other till now,” Baekhyun whispers to the slumbering Chanyeol.

Baekhyun carefully caresses Chanyeol’s face, and eventually holds his hand lightly. He sometimes wonders if Chanyeol still remembers what they said to each other, because for Baekhyun, it’s the clearest memory he has.

“When can I finally make you mine?” Baekhyun states again; but he makes sure that it was so faint, only he himself could hear it.

 

≈≈

 

Luhan spent a good thirty minutes in front of the mirror, trying to find out if he was decent-looking. In all honestly, Luhan has never cared about things like clothes because he just grabs the first shirt his fingers come into contact with, slips on a pair of jeans, and wears his black high-cut shoes. He’d comb his hair a bit and wear his glasses and viola—the perfect recipe to cook up a geek like Luhan. But no, tonight, he actually tried to look for something nice. He settles for a red and white striped cardigan and a simple white shirt. He wears his usual jeans and he still wears a pair of hi-cuts, but this time they were red. Luhan wasn’t even sure if Xing could make it, because he hasn’t replied since.

I’m going now. See you Xing~ ^^;;;

Luhan, it appears that I can’t make it…I’m sorry…

By the time Xing had sent in a text, Luhan was already roaming through the streets. He admittedly feels disappointed. He and Xing have known each other on the internet for a year; they don’t live very far from each other and worse is, they’ve talked about meeting for the longest time. How can he just cancel like that? Luhan wonders, the sadness increasing as he keeps thinking about it.

Another time then?? :)

No…I don’t think I can. I’m sorry, Luhan…

Luhan stops walking and just freezes up altogether. What does this mean? Luhan is absolutely baffled. Does this mean that he and Xing couldn’t talk anymore? Hopeless, Luhan wanders aimlessly until he finds a good patch of land by the river that isn’t very occupied. It gave him a perfect view of the fireworks that have yet to come, thus Luhan lies down on the grass as he waits for midnight.

His emotions come back again; this time, it hit him like a tidal wave. I knew the internet was no good.

Consider that his first and last attempt at love online. Luhan laughs at himself for being a complete idiot, believing that he was in love with a guy he’d never met personally. He doesn’t even know Xing’s full name. Still, his tears begin to drop. One, two, three…he couldn’t count the teardrops trickling down his face; they felt more like waterfalls now. He quickly sits down on the grass on top of a hill and wipes his tears, trying to cover his face completely. Still sitting, he curls up into a ball, hugging his knees.

“Hey there.”

Luhan hears a voice nearby, and he feels his heart pang.

≈≈

A few hours after the phone call, they finally arrive. “Dad, Mom, Sis, Little sis…this is Wu Fan m-my…lover…” Tao finds himself in the large household he once grew up in, although he only had a few memories he could call unforgettable. Tao’s legs are still shaking despite finishing his short and bold introduction.

The dining room falls silent, until his mother begins by clearing . “Are you sure about this, Zitao?”

Tao nods, “Y-yes…” At that moment, Wufan takes Tao’s hand; his thin fingers were trembling.

“Well, what a surprise,” His mother sighs, smiling.

“Not really,” Tao’s older sister, Mei Li, chuckles. “Really, am I the only one who saw this coming? Everything he wears is designer. Really?”

Tao’s dad shoots a look at Meili and orders, “Take your your little sister to your room immediately.”

Rolling her eyes, she picks her sister up, giving her a piggy back ride. “C’mon leggo, kid,” shortly leaving the dining table and running off upstairs.

Tao feels relieved that they didn’t shout at him or scold him or told him to break up with him or worse, kicked him out. But he did feel sad because his dad never looked him in the eye all night.  Still, Tao is still hoping for the best.

“Wu Fan, was it? Will you promise us to take good care of him?” Tao’s mother says to Wufan and drinks from her cup of wine.

“Certainly ma’am, sir.” Wufan stiffens up, and gives a 90-degree bow. Tao’s expression lightens at the sight of his flustered boyfriend before him.

After what seemed like forever, Tao’s dad breaks the silence.

“We’re setting off fireworks at the backyard…” His dad suggests, still averting Tao’s eyes.

“Can we join in, too? I mean…if that’s okay…” Tao might have said that a little bit too enthusiastically.

His dad, still feeling a bit uneasy, nods.

“Thanks mom. Thank you father,” Tao finally shows a genuine smile. He finally feels accepted in this family he had once regarded as unloving and cold. Although it wasn’t a very warm welcoming, to him, it was more than enough. He turns and smiles at Wufan, who was looking bashful. Their fingers intertwine and their bodies move closer to each other.

They call the rest of the family out, and they head out into the backyard to release lanterns, which was a tradition that the Huang family sustained, together with a spectacular fireworks show.

≈≈

Baekhyun finds himself gasping for breath from all the running he’s done. For the whole night, he was chasing Chanyeol all through the town, and eventually, Baekhyun finds himself in the nearest beach, right behind the venue of festivity.

“Woah, I can’t believe we made it all the way here, considering the festival is like, a kilometer away!” Baekhyun points to the loud place that was b with bright lights.

“I don’t think it’s a kilometer, though. Look, lots of people are heading to this place too,” Chanyeol on a lollipop and sits on the sand. “The fireworks will be set off at any minute, and it’s better to watch from here than a place with too many people and so much noise,” Chanyeol pats the sand next to him, signaling Baekhyun to sit next to him; and Baekhyun does so.

“Chanyeol,” Baekhyun’s annoyance and tiredness have all gone away now because the mood finally set in. With every moment, the sound of drums and cymbals gradually grew fainter, and the waves’ crashing grew more familiar. “I’ve always—”

The fireworks begin with a loud bang, and everyone claps their hands, some howling.

Baekhyun looks up at Chanyeol, whose face was changing from red to green and blue because of the firecrackers. He notices that Chanyeol was smiling, and not in the stupid way. He was smiling in a very sweet way, Baekhyun concludes.

Their faces inch closer to each other with each boom of the firework until their noses touch. 

“Baekhyun, I think I—I’m not so sure but…is this okay?” Baekhyun feels Chanyeol’s hot breath against his mouth. “I love you, Baekhyunnie,” without another second to lose, Chanyeol cups Baekhyun’s chin and pulls him in for a sweet and short kiss.

“Chanyeol, why?” Baekhyun asks, shocked. “Are you teasing me again?”

Chanyeol smirks. “Well…I kind of just felt it. Don’t you have those times? I mean, the mood was just, you know, perfect for that.”

“Oh, so it was just the mood,” Baekhyun sinks, annoyed at himself for actually expecting something.

“Yeah, that,” Chanyeol replies, oblivious to Baekhyun’s disheartenment. “And I guess I just really missed you. I’m not very sure. Seeing you after so many years was just like, wow.”     

“You are really bad with words, stupid,” Baekhyun rolls his eyes, to which Chanyeol smiles amiably.

He links his arms with Chanyeol’s as they continue to watch the fireworks.

“Also, I’ve decided to move back here. You think your landlord may have some extra pads for rent?” Chanyeol grins.

“Maybe we could rent a bigger pad together, ha-ha..” Baekhyun thinks outloud.

“Wow!” Chanyeol unwraps another lollipop, and takes another one from his pocket. “Want one?”

“Just how many lollipops did you friggin buy while I was tediously searching for you?!” Baekhyun pinches Chanyeol’s cheek with a little force.

“Ah, stop stop,” Chanyeols pulls Baekhyun’s hand away. “I won all of these okay? I was playing some games. Geez, you always blame me on things that aren’t even my fault,” Chanyeol pouts.

“Fine, whatever.” Baekhyun snatches the lollipop from Chanyeol’s mouth and puts it in his own.

“That’s kinda gross, Baekhyun,”

“Get used to it,” Baekhyun snickers, his head resting on Chanyeol’s shoulder.

They found themselves lying against each other as they watched the last bit of the fireworks. A red streaming light whizzes in a circular motion across the sky before finally exploding, leaving bits of light in the dark sky.

I wish this moment could last forever.

 

≈≈

 

“Hey there, mind if I sit beside you? Almost midnight here,” An unfamiliar face sits next to Luhan.

“Who are you?” Luhan questions, hoping to hear the right name.

“Hmm? Oh, don’t worry. You don’t know me. It’s just that, you seemed kind of lonely here. Well, I am too…”

Luhan feels disappointed but he continues the conversation. “I see…well, happy new year to us miserable people.”

The other guy laughs, “I hope I’m not annoying you or anything. Meeting someone I don’t know in a unique way is kind of my resolution.” He smiles as he witnesses the fireworks start. “Name’s Sehun. Yours?”

“I’m Luhan. Hey, for a depressed person, you don’t seem very, well…depressed.”

“Part of my resolution—be happy even though you feel like ,” Sehun smirks.

“I wish I was like that, but I’m too old for such things. I’m forlorn….” Luhan sighs as he looks up at the sky lit with fireworks.

“Don’t say that!” Sehun chuckles, ruffling Luhan’s hair. They both continue to admire the sky and sit in silence. Silence such as this is usually awkward for a pair of strangers who've just met, but for them, it wasn't. It was as if they were a couple of old friends, completely comfortable with each other even without sharing a dialogue. 

Sehun glances at his watch, and his eyes widen in surprise. He gets up, straightening his clothes. As he was standing, he looks at Luhan with such intent. He bites his lip, saying, “Say, do you think we can meet again?”

Suddenly, Luhan’s lingering loneliness goes away. He wasn't exactly sure what he was feeling now, but it was as if a light had just pierced through the darkness in him. Something that Luhan has always done is to expect, and it's made him end up in a few unfortunate situations. He realizes that he should only hope for the future he’s longed for to come. With a filled heart, Luhan nods. “Of course we can.”

 

≈≈

 

“I’ll be home soon. I love you!” A raspy voice at the other end of Jongin’s phone echoes in his room. Jongin is on his bed again, staring at the clock. 11:30. He turns on the radio, turning the knob to set it to his favorite station.

Just a little bit longer and Jongin will experience, yet again, the new year. It all seems surreal. Kim Jongin has everything he needed and more—a guy who loves him. He’s been in a relationship with Do Kyungsoo for about 3 years, and they’ve known each other since fourth grade.

 

Jongin hears the door open and he immediately wakes up from his quick nap, though he did not sit up. “Hey,” Kyungsoo slips in the room, carrying a bag of sweets in one hand, and a big teddy bear on the other. “How are you doing?” He asks, looking concerned. Jongin struggles to stand, but all he could do was sit.

“I’m fine, just feeling a bit weak is all.” Jongin mutters, his body gravitating towards his bed once more. “I’m sorry, Kyungsoo.” He reaches for the other’s hand, and holds it tight.

Kyungsoo puts his free hand on top of Jongin’s. “Don’t be. I love you, and nothing will ever change that.”

Jongin avoids Kyungsoo’s gaze, and eventually closes his eyes gently. “I think I might be going soon…”

Kyungsoo’s big eyes start to become watery. He could feel a lump in his throat. “D-don’t say that, Jongin! We’ll get through it. Just please…”

“Kyungsoo…” Jongin reaches for Kyungsoo’s red-tinted face. “It’s rare blood cancer and it’s been five years.”

“No…I’ll make sure you’ll live until you grow old. You’re nineteen and you have your whole life ahead of you!”

Jongin begins to cry, but he forces a smile on his face. He couldn’t afford to wear a frown during this time. “Kyungsoo, can you smile for me? Please?”

“Y-you know I can’t, Jongin…”

“…Do you remember the first time we met?” Jongin stares at the ceiling once again. “We were both nine years old. You were crying…And then—”

“—then you offered me your handkerchief, but you said you would only give it to me if I promised you that we'd become friends.” Kyungsoo finishes Jongin’s sentence, his hand running through his lover’s soft hair.

Both of them glance at each other and smile. “Look,” Jongin points to the window that was right beside his bed. “Fireworks are finally starting. That means it’s past midnight already, and I can’t believe it!” Jongin glows, but he was still weak.

“See? I told you. Happy new year,” Kyungsoo kisses Jongin’s forehead. Jongin giggles and holds Kyungsoo’s face. He was still lying down and Kyungsoo was bending over, and they were looking right at each other. Jongin looks at Kyungsoo with pure eyes.

“Oh, I really like this song right now,” Jongin mentions. The radio was playing What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong. Jongin smiles and hums along, holding Kyungsoo’s hand.

“I love you,” Kyungsoo says.

“I love you too,” Jongin replies.

“I love you more.”

“And I’ll love you forever…” Jongin closes his eyes and the noise from outside begins to quiet down.

 

 

At that moment, Kyungsoo's smile fades. His face goes blank from the complete shock. His sudden realization makes the lower part of his lip quickly move downwards, his nose reddening. With irregular breathing, he begins to cry hard.

“This isn't fair...” Kyungsoo whines, his tears flowing fast. “Kim Jongin…I…”

After what seems like hours of sobbing, Kyungsoo smiles bitterly and holds Jongin’s cold hand. For a few moments, he takes a step back to see how his life had been up until now. His head's filled with so much memories, both happy and sad. And he didn't regret having to experience such things; he didn't regret falling in love with someone who was ill, because it was all worth it. Every laugh, every argument, every misundstanding, and for all the times they spent together...it was worth it.

 

 

“--I guess this is goodbye, Jongin...”

 

 

 

And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.

 

 

 

 

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈

 

 

 

a/n: 3,000+ words in two nights and i haven't done any studying. i guess you could say that this was inspired by the movie new year's eve, i realized this much as i continued writing this. and i kinda put more effort into this, more effort than usual. so yeah, i hope this story was okay. kind of messy here and there, i wanted it to be longer but hell i have exams and i haven't studied a single subject. hahaha. okay, happy lunar new year everyone!  huat ah! haha :*

update 09/17/14: added more details, now it’s 4k words haha