Part 2

Looking at the Stars

 

 
(Kyuhyun's POV)
 
Umma and I were in the hospital visiting harabeoji when we came across this girl crying. 
 
"Umma? Why is she crying?" I asked. 
 
"It isn't polite of you to ask that in front of her, Kyuhyunnie," she told me. 
 
"Do you know why?"
 
"Let's go somewhere else."
 
After we walked for quite a bit and I sensed that it was far enough, I asked umma again. 
 
"I heard that her sister who cared for her just passed away," she began. "Her parents have both passed away too. Which means, she needs someone to care for her."
 
"Could you... Adopt her?"
 
Umma paused for a while. "You like her, Kyuhyunnie?"
 
"What...? No!" I widened my eyes and shouted in defence. 
 
"I'm your umma, I know you. You don't have to be like this, Kyuhyunnie. I don't mind you dating... You're already 17," she told me. "If you like her, it's okay. Just make sure it's true love, not just a mere crush. Love at first sight may not really be true love. To answer your question... I can adopt her."
 
~~~ 
 
(Seohyun's POV)
 
No. This can't be. No, unnie, no! Don't leave me! UNNIE! NO!
 
But it was all too late. Why did I have to find out that she was going to die just when she was going to die? Why? I'm so stupid, for being so innocent, so naive, I need to grow up already...
 
I cried and cried. The doctors had come out to of the emergency room to tell me that she was dead. That Im Yoona, my precious unnie, was dead. 
 
Why did unnie have to die? Why? We were living quite fine even without appa and umma. But why does the truth work this way? Why is it always so hard?
 
Sobbing, I heard a deep, soft and gentle voice. However, it wasn't talking to me. Still, I listened. Unnie often told me I was a good listener. 
 
(same scene)
 
"Umma? Why is she crying?"
 
"It isn't polite of you to ask that in front of her, Kyuhyunnie."
 
"Do you know why?"
 
"Let's go somewhere else."
 
Then I heard the mother and son walking away. A few minutes later, I heard footsteps again. But it was only the son's footsteps.
 
"My umma told me you needed someone to care for you... She said she could adopt you."
 
I looked up to see him smiling to me. I was immediately stunned by his looks. But what I could see was not only his looks, I could see that he was a good person too. 
 
"W-Who are you?" I stuttered. Touching my cheeks, I realised that I was blushing madly. They were so hot!
 
He just smiled back at me and said, "Nice to meet you, I'm Kyuhyun." He extended his hand for a handshake. 
 
I felt myself burning up when I shook his hand. 
 
"I-I'm Seo Joohyun, but you might want to call me Seohyun. I'm turning 15 this June."
 
"Oh, I just turned 17 recently," he replied, grinning. 
 
"... Can you follow me somewhere?" I asked sheepishly. 
 
"S-Sure!"
 
(Kyuhyun's POV)
 
(same scene)
 
I felt a chill running down my spine when she shook my hand. 
 
"I-I'm Seo Joohyun, but you might want to call me Seohyun. I'm turning 15 this June."
 
"Oh, I just turned 17 recently," I replied, trying my best to show a calm face by grinning. 
 
"... Can you follow me somewhere?"
 
"S-Sure!" I stuttered, mentally slapping myself. I can't embarrass myself anymore! Is this how love feels like? "Where do you want to go?" I asked. 
 
"... The rooftop," she said slowly, as if she was avoiding herself from tearing up. I nodded and brought her there. 
 
Just as she reached there, she ran to the centre of the place and looked up at the sky. I looked up too, and the stars were so beautiful. 
 
"Joohyun, is looking at the stars your hobby?" I asked, expecting a "yes" with full of happiness and peacefulness. However, it turned out that she returned me a sob. 
 
I ran to her and tried to comfort her, but to no avail. She sobbed even more. Then, unexpectedly, she hugged me. I stood rooted to the ground, shocked but happy at the same time. As I hugged her back slowly, a small smile crept on my face. Then I looked at her, so torn, so broken as if everything was taken away from her. I started to feel sad for her. I let her cry on my shoulder, not minding the fact that my clothes was getting wet. 
 
"Unnie used to bring me up to the rooftop to see the stars... Ever since two months ago," she began. "Then I only found out that she had this cancer... Today! I'm so stupid! I only found out today! I'm so stupid..." she said and cried even more. 
 
I myself began tearing up too. 
 
~~~
 
(Author's POV)
 
The next day, on Valentine's, Seohyun was officially brought into the Cho family.