Part 1

Looking at the Stars

 

(Yoona's POV) 
 
I brought Seohyun to the rooftop. She smiled and giggled, before turning towards me.
 
"Looks like umma was right! They are really beautiful, unnie."
 
I flashed her a sad smile. Being the innocent and naive girl she was, she couldn't feel the sadness I was showing. She just grinned at me and continued looking at the stars. 
 
I had cancer. It was at the last stage. Which means I can collapse and die anytime. But I can't tell Seohyun that, can I? She's 14, but she's more innocent and naive and any other girl in the world. She's still a child. How can she handle that truth? How?
 
Me, Im Yoona, 21, taking care of my sister, Seohyun. I can't tell her that. But I really hope, she can find someone to love, someone who can look after her I die...
 
"Unnie?" she said, jotting me out of my thoughts. 
 
"Hmm?"
 
"I was calling you for quite some time. Are you okay? You're crying. Unnie never really cries. What's wrong?"
 
"Huh? Nothing." I wiped off the tears upon the sudden realisation that I was crying. 
 
"Jinjja-ah?"
 
"Ne," I nodded my head. "It's getting late now, let's go home."
 
~~~
 
After Seohyun fell asleep, I went to take my medicine. I hate them. They don't help me at all, no matter how many times I take them. The doctor always told me to take them, but the don't help at all. They may be able to prolong my life, but they don't cure anything. The doctor said that it's too late to be cured. 
 
I looked at the mirror. I was so skinny, so thin. I looked so lifeless. I looked like I could die anytime. But it was true. I could collapse and die anytime. 
 
~~~
 
(Author's POV)
 
It was the 13th of February. Yoona walked to the kitchen and after taking her medicine, she went to check on Seohyun who was in their bedroom reading a storybook. 
 
"Hyun?"
 
"Unnie?" Seohyun immediately looked up.
 
"Are you okay?"
 
"Ne, why?"
 
"... Never mind."
 
(Seohyun's POV)
 
Unnie had been weird these days... She had always been checking on me as if something's wrong, but nothing is wrong, right? Not that it's wrong to check on me, but I think it's... Too often. 
 
And, she had grown really skinny, and she was always eating pills. I thought, maybe she did eat pills before, but I just didn't notice. 
 
Also, she could not stand or walk properly. She complained she was just dizzy, but it seemed more than that. She would stumble every now and then, and I had to support her while she just leaned on me. 
 
I then suddenly remembered of her father. Her father died of cancer. An inherited cancer, I heard from umma. What if... She was diagnosed with it? I started to cry thinking about it, and sooner I thought that it is the truth. 
 
Then I heard a loud thud. Running out of my room, I stopped when I saw her on the floor. 
 
"Unnie!" I shouted, trying to carry her up. She shook her head and flashed me a weak smile. "I'm fine..." she mumbled. That made me cry even more. 
 
"Joohyun... Why are you crying?" she asked me weakly, still showing that weak smile on her face. "Everything's fine..."
 
"No!" I shouted, and she was shocked. "Everything's not fine, unnie, you have cancer..." I answered and sobbed. She looked even more shocked when she heard that. 
 
She raised her hand trying to wipe those tears away, but I cried even more. Then I saw that she had difficulty breathing. Panicking, I called the ambulance.