1.

Happy Medium

It was a good week.

Kyungsoo stood at the front of the clothing store he worked at, watching people hustle around the busy mall from outside the entrance. Smiling at everyone who spared the store a glance and warmly welcoming everyone who entered, he would appear like the perfect employee. He was helpful when necessary, but not too pushy. He was always inviting, flashing his perfectly white teeth in a perfect smile to everyone, but not in your face. He took pride in the way he dressed, never settling for looking decent, but going out of his way to present himself in the most respectful and fashion forward way possible. This made girls flock to the store in attraction to him, and drew guy's in based on the fact that they wanted to be able to look like him.

He enjoyed his job, the ideal position for any high school student. It was even more perfect based on the fact that his boss was also his best friend. Chanyeol and Kyungsoo had grown up together, but the manager of the store was four years older and had already graduated high school, so when the old boss retired he passed the position along to his best and most prized employee, Chanyeol.

There were also things that Chanyeol understood about Kyungsoo that no other employer would make or waste time to accommodate for. This being that Kyungsoo was bipolar, and needed a certain schedule to fit his needs. Kyungsoo would typically go about a week and a half on a complete trip of joy, always ready to work and carrying around an aura of a good mood. This was the Kyungsoo that worked the crowd of the mall and was currently at the front of the store helping a guy pick out an outfit for his anniversary with his girlfriend. 

After this came the Kyungsoo that worked in the back. He would fill orders, do taxes, and basically do any job that didn't require him to be in the actual store itself. This was his low couple weeks that tailed those of happiness. He would feel ,in a nutshell, sad , like nothing was worth living for besides the times that he got to experience happiness. Even if it was just the day before, he would feel as though the sensation of not forcing a smile was foreign. All of his natural charm would fade, making working the floor painful for him. 

But this week, was a good week. The first day of a good week.

"Kyungsoo, it's four! You can break for twenty!" Chanyeol called from his position behind the check out counter.

Kyungsoo swiveled his head around and flashed his boss a wide grin. "Now, I can't just leave this fine gentleman hanging! He has a special lady to impress tonight." he shouted back before pulling out a shirt and holding it up to the very obviously appreciative customer.

Eventually the man walked up to cash with an arm full of clothing. Chanyeol was very pleased with Kyungsoo's ability to oversell anything. 'The outfit wouldn't be complete without this hat' he would say with a winning smile that could almost wordlessly sell anything. With a quick nod and grin backwards, Kyungsoo shoved his hands in his pockets and practically skipped out the large entrance. The mall and all it's occupants opened up in front of him, the different and interesting people that shopped here would always spark his interest. More than that, the smell of the food court flooded into his nose, instantly making his mouth water.

The corners of his mouth turned up and he made his way directly to his favourite fast food place. After waiting patently in line for a few minutes, he approached a familiar face that instantly lit up when he saw the next in line.

"Ah, cutie with the booty's back. The usual I'm assuming?" the boy in the uniform and visor grinned at Kyungsoo.

Kyungsoo just chuckled at the other's typical shameless flirting. "Please and thank you, Jongin."

"Double cheeseburger, no pickles, extra ketchup." Jongin mumbled, punching number's into the cash register. Kyungsoo already had the exact change ready. Jongin gave a quick wink and added, "Exact change, this is why you are my favourite. You can move your cute to the right and your food will be ready in a few."

After three or so minutes, Jongin placed a burger on to the plastic tray, but continued to look at Kyungsoo even though he was about to leave. Just as he was turning around, tray in hand, Jongin's voice called out from behind him. "Uhm, Kyungsoo?"

With wide eyes, Kyungsoo spun on his heels. Though Jongin knew his name, he hardly ever used it, mostly referring to him as 'cutie' or 'y'. "Yeah?"

"I'm on break in five. I was just wondering if you wouldn't mind if I sat with you?" Jongin asked, biting his lip and reaching a hand up to anxiously rub the back of his neck. "I mean, you don't have to I guess."

Kyungsoo smirked. Now not only was he using his real name, but his cool, flirtatious exterior was faltering. "That sounds good, I'll grab a table."

Though he would always brush off all of Jongin's flirty comments, he was nervous to actually get to speak to the boy. They had spent the past six month's having thirty second conversations when Kyungsoo would get lunch, but never actually spoke. He took out his phone and pretended to be texting someone when he saw Jongin approaching, when reality was he was playing 'flow'. He also faked surprise when he looked up to see Jongin a mere few feet away from him. "Look who actually has legs."

Jongin chuckled at the sitting boy before joining him at the table. "Oh , no! I'm ruining the illusion! I guess I better sit."

Kyungsoo giggled at him as he put his phone into sleep mode and placed it face down on the table. He had to admit that Jongin was really cute, almost the epitome of attractive. He was a good looking, confident and funny guy. In a perfect world Kyungsoo would already be dating him. But because he was so amazing, Kyungsoo couldn't bare the thought of burdening him with the mental baggage he carried. In a perfect world, these breaks would consist of stolen kisses and holding hands while they shared a lunch.

But it wasn't a perfect world.

"So," Jongin began, confidently locking eye's with Kyungsoo while he spoke. "Something's been bugging me for a while, so I switched my shift so that I could talk to you."

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow. "And what would that be?"

Jongin sighed, puffing his cheeks out before he spoke. "Well I see your handsome face for a week or two, everyday, and then you just disappear. You aren't there for the same amount of time that you're gone. Believe it or not, I don't hit on just anyone. In fact, I think I only hit on you at this mall. Before you disappear on me again, I wanted to know if I could get your number."

Every word that Jongin spoke stung Kyungsoo a little more. The other was basically hitting the only reason he wouldn't give his number to him. Smile now washed from his face, Kyungsoo bit down hard on his own tongue to ground himself before replying. "My phone is just for work, I actually don't have a personal cell phone."

"Liar"

"No, I'm not, and my shift starts in two minutes so I need to go. See you tomorrow, nice legs by the way." Were the last thing a stunned Jongin was left with as he found himself alone in the middle of the busy food count. Rejection was a feeling that Jongin hardly ever felt, but when he did, it hit home.

~~~

Kyungsoo was rearranging clothes on a rack by colour, it was ten minutes until closing so the amount of customers were dissipating fast. He hated being the mean guy, and would silently hope that no other's would come in so that he wouldn't have to ask them to leave. Much to his dismay, he heard the familiar sound of metal on metal, meaning someone was looking through a rack somewhere in the store.

Spinning around, he pressed his lips into a thin line and pursed them. "Jongin, what are you doing here?"

"Shopping of course. Remind me, what kind of clothing store provides part time workers with company cell phones?" he said, not even looking up from the clothing that he was obviously not even paying attention to.

"They don't, and we're closing."

Footsteps grew louder in the back of the store and Chanyeol emerged from the change room area's a shouted to where the two boys were standing. "Hey Kyungsoo, this your friend?"

"No"

"Yes"

The two boys replied at the same time, glaring at each other afterwards. Chanyeol just nodded in understanding. "I see, well he can help you give the place a once over before locking up. I have to meet Baek in five, I hope that's okay."

" 's all good Yeollie! See you tomorrow!" Kyungsoo smiled at his boss as the taller made his way out the back of the store, glad that he had someone in his life to focus on besides just work. He seemed to really like Baekhyun, and Kyungsoo had yet to meet him.

Jongin moved in front of Kyungsoo, blocking his only path out of the corner of the room. "Yeollie? I want a cute nickname. If you give me your number we can figure one out."

Kyungsoo rolled his eyes. "If I give you my number, will you let me out?"

"Yes. A thousand times yes."

"Also that you will let me text you first and not text me obsessively, because I don't have enough money to change my number."

"I promise." Jongin confirmed sincerely.

After adding Jongin as a contact to his phone and checking the store over once, Jongin had left. With merely the dim light of the last one to shut off casting a long shadow down the main walkway of the store, Kyungsoo walked back until his back hit the wall. Sliding down on to the floor, he let out a shaky breath, burying his face in his hands and mentally kicking himself for even giving the idea of seeing Jongin half of a thought.

____________________________________

I am sorry for this sad excuse for a chapter, I just wanted to get the basics all out there and

also for anyone interest I do plan on adding in future chapters lolololollololololol

yeah , I'll try and update as soon as possible