Recover

I Quit

Chapter 3 

 

When Minho opens his eyes again, he observes that Taemin is still beside him holding his hand. In the corner of his eye, he notices Onew pacing around the room while Key and Jonghyun sit nervously on two hard plastic seats.

Taemin gasps, "Hyung, you're awake!"

Minho nods at Taemin's exclamation. His mouth feels dry and his eyes can't adjust to the harshness of the hospital lights that well. Upon hearing the maknae's words, the rest of the member abandon their activities and rush to Minho's bedside. 

Onew pushes the nurse call button, "Minho-ah. How are you feeling? The doctor will be here soon to explain everything for you. Just relax, arasso?" 

Key nags, "Yah! What were you doing in the alley, Minho! We were all worried when we found you all bloody. Taemin almost had a fainting spell." 

Upon hearing Key's words, Minho's memories come rushing back to him. He remembers everything: the thoughts of quitting, the men approaching him, stabbing, whispered words, and threats. Immediately, his heart rate monitor indicates an increase in beats and his breathing quickens. His eyesight starts to darken around the edges. It is getting more difficult to breath. He can feel his conscious slipping away and hears his monitor emits a high wailing sound. Quick footsteps flood the room. s are shoved aside with little protest. Minho feels a pinprick in his arm. He finally relaxes and lets darkness overcome him. 

Minho's eyes flutter open and he gives a groan. Immediately a female voice penetrates his murky thoughts, "Minho-sshi, I'm your nurse for the durations of your stay. Your members are waiting outside. You woke up before but had a panic attack after regaining your memories of the accident. Your injuries are not critical. Your stab wounds were through and through. Hence, they were easier to stitch up. You're on painkillers right now and will be on them for a few weeks before we start weaning you off of them. Your body needs rest to heal. You won't be able to perform or do any schedules for at least a month. Now, I'm going to raise the back of your bed so you will be able to communicate with your members more easily." 

The nurse quickly leaves after adjusting Minho's bed. s file in afterwards. Key looks awkward and guilty while Onew and Jonghyun fidget. Only Taemin skips up to Minho's bed with some resemblance of joy. 

"Minho-hyung, you're awake again! Of course we were worried, but we are so glad to see you better. Your family visited you while you were gone but left us in charge of your health. Only your hyung stayed cause he is super-worried about you. Our schedule wasn't going to be much the next few days so SM let us just cancel everything. Unbelievable, right? Anyway, Donghae-hyung wants to visit as well as some other of your friends especially Kyu-line. However, Key-umma hasn't let them claiming you need your rest. Anyway, Key-umma wants to talk to you!"

Taemin nudges Key forward while herding the rest of the members out. He gives a brilliant smile before exiting the room. Minho observes happy-Taemin with a slight smile on his face. When Key is nudged forward, he focuses on Key and observes him squirm and fidget. 

Finally, Key bursts out into a rant, "Hey, Minho. I'm sorry if anything I said earlier made your remember something horrible about you accident. I mean I didn't know that my words will bring back memories for you. I'm really sorry." 

Minho holds up a hand to stop Key's rambling. "It is okay, Key. You don't what happened or even what would have set me off. You simply didn't know. Besides, it is all good now. No need to feel guilty or anything, arasso?" 

Minho observes Key open his mouth in protest; however he quickly puts up his hand to stop Key. "Anyway, how is the company taking this?"

"Oh. SM has been extra careful to keep the fans from finding out. Of course, those sasaengs know you were admitted into the hospital, so SM was forced to release a statement that you were admitted for hitting your head. SHAWOLS have been rallying behind you and sending you a bunch of gifts." 

While Key had been telling Minho what had happened while Minho was out, the rest of the members had snuck back in.  The doctor had also arrived. When Key had finished, the doctor steps up. 

"We are very glad to see you awake, Minho-sshi. The panic attack was caused by you reliving your memories. Your body is trying its very best to heal itself, so you need plenty of rest. Now, let me go over your injuries. You have a stab wound in you abdomen area and your hand. Luckily, the injuries did not get an infection and the knife did not hit any major arteries or veins. You will probably need some therapy for the hand injury.  When you hit the ground, you received a minor head injury which you have slept off, and we have already done a CT scan. Your body took quite a beating with bruising. Those will soon fade away.  No schedules for quite awhile and especially no dancing. You will probably stay in the hospital for a week just to make sure your wounds does not receive an infection and that your head injury does not worsen." 

"How will this affect my idol career in the long-term?"

"With proper rest and therapy, you will physically be able to recover. Mentally, it might take you forever to recover. You might always have flashbacks of the night or develop certain habits. Your members are part of your support system so please tell them everything from mental anguish and physical pain. I highly recommend you see a therapist. Oh. Yes. The police will be along shortly so you can give your statement of the incident." 

With that the doctor quickly left the room. Minho's eyes widen at the thought of the police coming to question him about the incident. Taemin notices this and slips his hand into Minho's as a gesture of comfort. Jonghyun and Key move to the other side of the bed to silently comfort Minho by rubbing his arm (Key) or standing on the side in silent support (Jonghyun). 

Onew hurries to sooth Minho, "Minho-ah, we are right here beside you. Please tell the whole truth to the policemen. They are here to catch the guys who did this to you.”

“But…I don’t want to talk to them. They aren’t going to catch the guys who did this anyway.”

“Minho…you have to. Why won’t you tell them? Did they threaten you? Or did they threaten your family? Or even us? Don’t worry, Minho. After we catch them and put them behind bars, they won’t bother us again. You will be safe.”

“It’s not my life I’m really worried about…”

“Not worried about your life, Minho! Are you crazy? You sound suicidal right now. Your life is valuable to us and to your family. Our members value you, Minho, especially Taemin. You know how much he likes to hang out with you especially since you were his support during his debut days.”

“I’m not suicidal. I’m just doubtful…” Minho takes a breath. All of the stress has piled up. He doesn’t care about keeping his thoughts a secret, anymore. He just wants to let out his emotions and his feelings to someone.

“I mean. I don’t really think I’m that valuable in the group. I’m suppose to be the rapper, but Key has that really pat-down. My looks are nothing compared to the other members. Taemin has all the aegyo. And I’m not that much of a variety-idol either. Plus, my athletics are going downhill. I’ve already accepted this. I’m nothing to the group. Just a 5th spot that can be easily replaced whenever SM feels like it.”

“Minho…you are valuable to the group.”

“Oh yeah? Then what am I? I’ve been asking myself that for a couple days now, and I can’t find an answer. A leader? No. A main vocal? No. A maknae? No. A main dancer? No. A person with a unique personality? No. “

Key opens his mouth to protest, but Taemin beats him to it, “Minho-hyung, it doesn’t matter about the jobs. It is only a title. Something that each person says when introducing themselves in a cheesy manner. We are all members of the group, and we all do various jobs within the group. Sometimes we overlap with each other. There are no clear lines to distinguish who does what and when.”

Key beams in pride, “Oh Taemin-goon. Such wise words coming out of your mouth.”

Onew joins in the teasing of Taemin, “Aish. Taemin-ah, when did you grow so wise-sounding.”

Jonghyun butts in, “See, Minho? Taemin did something so leader-like yet Onew is the “leader of SHINee”. All of us overlap with each. We are each important. You are important. Don’t throw your life away just because you think you’re not important. You are.”

Minho smile as Onew crows, “Group hug!” Everyone piles on top of Minho in a massive group hug. Minho gives a sigh of relief. He does matter to the group. All of the stuff he has been brewing about is just nonsense. He is Choi Minho, SHINee’s Flaming Charisma. 


Woot! Finally done! I apologize to the readers who have waited a long time for me to finish this story. I know how annoying it is to wait for an update from an author who updates irregularly. I hope you guys enjoyed the story. Comments are loved! 

*EDIT* Whoops! I realized I forgot to add the semi-ending. Silly me. I left out a page from the Word Document when I went Ctrl C and Ctrl V. As a apology, I will write an Epilogue. It might take some time though since I have already started school.