The Ballad of Love and Hate

The Ballad of Minho and Key

So to understand where my inspiration comes from, listen to this song: The Ballad of Love and Hate by the Avett Brothers. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUjVPxJEDA (They are an American folk/appalachian band) It is one of my favorite songs (and bands) in the world and it made me think this plot involving Minho and Key.  It’ll set the mood as well. Please enjoy. 

 

Minho was offered a once in a lifetime opportunity. Studying filmography and production and pursuing the arts in California. Minho, an exemplary student, a kind hearted person, and an all around beautiful soul who personified love was now coming back to Korea, after one and a half years of being away. 

 

Minho, before leaving writes his last long-distance letter to his boyfriend, Key. Key was the complete opposite of Minho. He was compulsive, had an extremely short temper, and his emotions were difficult to control. Key’s fiery hate could be fueled very easily, however, he loved his amazing Minho, more than life itself. Minho knew it hurt Key when he left for so long, but Key said he would be fine. 

 

My dear Kibum, 

 

My schooling session is now over and I’ll be home late at night in a couple of days. This will be the last long-distance letter I will ever be sending you, my love. You should visit California sometime, maybe with me. The weather is beautiful, sunny most of the time, and the ocean was great, so blue, Key. I can’t wait to see you again. 

 

~Your Minho. 

 

Key receives the letter later. He was stuck, without his boyfriend to calm him down or hold him or anything, for a year and a half. Days were spent crying, throwing things, breaking things. Key was angry. Furious in fact, he never thought he could be this mad. Sitting in his room, he threw away the letter.  “No one. No one here cares if you leave or come back, Minho. I could care less, actually. I barely even noticed that you were gone. Maybe I’ll see you. Maybe I won’t. Whatever.” There was poison in Key’s words. He began to cry at his desk. Minho and Key were very emotionally attached, and as Key said these words, Minho felt sad and pained. He knew his boyfriend needed him, and he needed Kibum as well. 

 

Minho was now on the airplane coming home. He hummed a tune, with his low beautiful voice, a smile playing on his lips. He was going to see his Key. Everything in the sky, the sun, the clouds, everything seemed brighter through Minho’s chocolate eyes. The flight attendants couldn’t help but chuckle at the obviously love-struck plane goer. A man in love is the most handsome, and his presence brightened up the mood on the long plane ride. 

 

Key, his life being so intertwined with his boyfriend’s didn’t even need a text to know that Minho had landed. Key scoffed, still angry and hurt. Key grabbed his Keys and leaves the house, keeping his head up as he walks down the streets of Seoul. Key, feeling very distant and lonely, but also angry, begins to shake hands with strangers. He buys some street food, and shakes the lonely old man’s hand, completely serious, a blank look on his face. This contact made him feel nothing, he was more than empty, he was hollowed out. 

 

Minho was now in the airport in Seoul, walking with his suitcase in tow, containing all the memories he made in California and lovely gifts he got especially for Key. He also seemed to be carrying with him, happiness and kindness as he made his way through the airport, because he smiled and waved to those airport workers who were tirelessly attending to their stations. Something about Minho’s sincere, loving smile made the workers brighten up and smile back. 

 

Key was currently in the parking garage. It was pretty late now. He was sitting on the hood of his car, immersed in his large bottle of un-labeled something that had an immense amount of alcohol that burned Key’s throat. He didn’t care about anything. Not about how beautiful the moon or the stars in the sky were. He felt numb and every time burning hot tears threatened to escape his narrowed eyes, he would take another swig of his drink. Not much regard for anything. 

 

Minho was now in a taxi heading to his home, to finally see his Key. A young man was driving the taxi, but was entranced by Minho’s almost angelic presence and his friendly smile. After the drive, Minho was in front of the entrance to his apartment. He pats the young taxi driver on the shoulder, hands him an incredible tip on top of the amount he had to pay. As Minho entered the apartment lobby, the young man stares after him, shedding tears, feeling the loss of such a warm and beautiful presence, the weight of probably never seeing him again, causing more tears to fall from the young taxi driver’s eyes. Minho had an unusual way with people. 

 

Key finally arrives on the street near his home. He had been out all night, it was now early morning. He is lucky to be alive. Key after drinking so much, struggled to get back to their apartment, almost getting hit by cars. He arrives at the entrance of their apartment and screams incredibly loud. Voice cracking, tears streaming. 

 

The clock in their small kitchen reads 2:55, but in reality was an hour slow. 

 

Minho had been waiting patiently in their bedroom, hoping for nothing but the safe return of his boyfriend. He just wanted a phone call, or some kind of sign that Key was okay. Hoping that the one he loves, who is out of his damn mind, would make it back safe to his arms. 

 

Key finally stumbles forward and leans in the door of the bedroom. Key hung is head low, looking at the floor. Ashamed. Minho’s eyes soften as he sees his poor, hurt boyfriend in the doorway. Key mumbles, “Minho, I’m sorry.” “What for, Key?” Minho said so sweetly, it made Key’s heart melt. Minho stood up, wrapping his lovely arms around his broken boyfriend. He kisses Key’s face and whispers into Key’s hair, “I’m yours and that’s it. Whatever you do. I shouldn’t have been gone for so long. I’m yours and that’s it. Forever, Key.” Minho led the silent, numb, tense Key to their bed, taking off his shoes, and holding him underneath their warm covers. Minho captured Key’s beautiful lips before whispering, “You’re mine and that’s it, Key. Forever.” 

 

Key felt Minho’s love seep into his bones. 

 

Key thought to himself as he drifted off to sleep, I’m yours and that’s it. Forever. 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: This is a very emotional song for me. It is one of my favorites in the whole world and writing this was emotional as well. I hope you enjoyed my first oneshot. Minho personifies love and Key personifies hate in this story, but hate can always be tamed and soothed by love’s presence. Thank you!