Root Three

Her love story

 

He was cute, he was sweet, he was nerdy but most of all he was her best friend. They had known each other since they were both in diapers, that’s why it was no surprise when one day he had decided to confess his true feelings for his best friend..

 

She was 16 when it happened.

 

Flashback

 

Tiffany POV

 

Oh why can’t I get this stupid question! Think Fany! THINK! This is hopeless… Maybe I’ll call up Siwon Oppa to come and help me. After all, he is the top student in our maths class!

 

I grabbed out my phone and speed dialled Siwon oppa.

 

“Oppa! Are you busy?” I asked.

 

“Oh Fanyah, now? No why what’s up?” replied Siwon.

 

“Can you please come and help me with some math problems.. I’m really stuck..” I begged.

 

“Sure, I’ll be over in 20min.” he replied.

 

“Thanks oppa! I’ll see you soon!” I replied.

 

 

And just like that, Tiffany was able to make Siwon drop everything he had, just for her. The reality of the situation was that in fact Siwon was busy, he was finishing off his own math homework at the moment Tiffany had called.

 

 

 

 

Siwon POV

 

“Ok, so this is how you start this question. Got it?”

 

“ Yep, thanks so much oppa, you make it so much easier to understand!”

 

An hour later.

 

I’m getting really distracted helping Fany do her homework.. Can’t even concentrate.. As I lean in next to her to show her how to work out the math problem, she unties her hair from that ponytail, and just like some hair commercial, her hair falls beautifully to her shoulders. She slowly tucks a piece of stray hair behind her ears and now I can see her neckline. Wow, she’s gotten really pretty since we were kids. To think I used to and call her an ugly monkey. I’m so close to her, I can smell the sweet fruity scent of her shampoo.

 

“Oppa, do you want something to drink? Juice, water, soda?” she asked.

 

Siwon snap out of it!! She’s asking you something. Aiish, hurry up and answer so she doesn’t think you’ve turned retarded.

 

“Umm water is fine. Thanks Fany.” I answered.

 

Ok few she’s gone. I think I’m blushing just staring and thinking about her. I’m gonna do it! I’m going to confess to her today, right now! As soon as she comes back I’m going to tell her how I really feel about her. She’s no longer the little girl I knew, but a lovely young lady I’ve grown to love.

 

“Here you go.” Fany said as she placed my glass of water down.

 

I took the glass with shaky hands and gulped down the whole glass of water, I think I’m nervous. Don’t chicken out Siwon, man up!

 

“Wow oppa, you must be really thirsty, I’ll go get you more!” she said as she got up ready to go get more water.

 

“NO! Don’t!” I yelled.

 

Crap, I think I scared her as she almost jumped at my response.

 

“I mean, no thank you Fany. Stay, I want to tell you something. Can you please hear me out?” I asked.

 

“Sure oppa.” She listened.

 

 

Tiffany POV

 

Wow, what’s up with him today, he’s acting so weird.. Oh well better pay attention Miyoung! He sounds serious.

 

“Fany, we’ve been friends since forever, and well, I just want to say that I really really appreciate you being there all this time. I’m really glad to have you. I’m not sure how to say this but… well here goes nothing…

 

I’m sure that I will always be

A lonely number like root three

 

The three is all that’s good and right,

Why must my three keep out of sight

Beneath the vicious square root sign,

I wish instead I were a nine

 

For nine could thwart this evil trick,

with just some quick arithmetic

 

I know I’ll never see the sun, as 1.7321

Such is my reality, a sad irrationality

 

When hark! What is this I see,

Another square root of a three

 

As quietly co-waltzing by,

Together now we multiply

To form a number we prefer,

Rejoicing as an integer

 

We break free from our mortal bonds

With the wave of magic wands

 

Our square root signs become unglued

Your love for me has been renewed…”

 

Ok so I knew Siwon oppa was alittle nerdy but I never thought he’d confess to me using a math poem! Wait he just confessed! What do I say???

 

“Oppa, we’re best friends.. And I’ve never really seen you this way.. but I think I may grow to love you in a different way..” I said shyly.

 

Plastered on Siwon’s face that day was a smile he could never take off. It was so warm and so sincere; the shy girl thought that it was the beginning of forever.

 

 

 

That was how it started their relationship. Tiffany and Siwon had dated until the end of high school. 2 years was what it took for Tiffany to realise that Siwon didn’t love her as much as he thought he did. It was also how long it took for Siwon to realise that high school romances don’t always last. 2 years was also the amount of years Siwon was going to be away for before coming back to Seoul. And lastly, Tiffany realised that 2 years was 2 years too long to wait around for the return of Siwon. Siwon also knew that a lot could happen in 2 years and he wasn’t selfish enough to keep waiting and guessing for 2 years.  Tiffany and Siwon ended at two years.

 

He took her to their senior prom because it was something she had dreamt of since they were kids. It wasn’t a bitter breakup, rather a mutual understanding. They were too young and life had to move on. They promised keep in contact, and Siwon asked her before he left for one favour.

 

“Fanyah, thank you for the last 18 years of my life. It’s truly been wonderful to have you beside me every step of the way. But we’re not meant to be. If in 20 years time you still haven’t found someone and I’m still a single man, we’ll find each other ok? Take care and be happy! I’ll call you.” He said as the parted.

 

She gave him one last hug and he placed one last kiss on her forehead and they walked their own ways. 

Choi Siwon, my best friend. My first love. My first kiss, but he wasn't my root three.