You were always my first choice

You were my first choice

Mina's POV

I was in the bride's room. She was getting ready. She would look at me every now and then to make sure that I was okay. I would smile back at her genuinely and nod as if I was answering her unsaid question.

"Mina-ah. Are you alright? Seunghyun wouldn't like it if you were sad today. Neither would I." She said and touched my shoulder. I would nod and smile. She was my bestfriend after all. She and Seunghyun were my bestfriends and they were getting married today.

"I'm okay Rina-ah. I'm just tired. You're party last night took the living daylight out of me." I said and shook my head to assure her that I was okay. I was going to be okay. She shook her head at me and went back to her make-up artist.

Neither Seunghyun nor Rina knew that I had feelings for the groom. I always kept to myself. Even when we were in highschool. They maybe my bestfriends. But I'd rather keep to myself in solitude most of the time.

"Mina-ah! Do you see what I see?" Rina said while we were eating lunch in the cafeteria. I shook my head and smiled timidly at her since I never was the one who would show excessive emotions.

"Mina-ah! Look! Over there! By the plantboxes. It's Choi Seunghyun. The one I've been gushing over since this morning. Look. He's smiling at us. LOOK!" Rina said as she grabbed my head to turn it into their direction. I blushed when I noticed him smirk at us. I quickly looked away to resume eating my sandwich.

"MINA. He's coming over. OMO. Do I look okay? Do I have anything in my teeth??" Rina kept bombarding me with questions and I nodded quickly so as to avoid anymore stares from other people. I quickly finished the remnants of my sandwich and sipped my carton of milk.

"Hi. Me and my friends noticed you guys staring at us." I heard his deep and husky voice, making me feel butterflies in my stomach. I quickly fiddled with my school blouse and nudged Rina discreetly signalling her to talk. She did get us in this mess after all.

"We wouldn't be caught staring if you weren't staring as well." Rina said and smiled. She was always the witty one between the two of us.

I heard him chuckle, it made me feel all jelly inside. I continued playing with my blouse and looking down. I am so nervous!

"Touche. Hmm. You wanna join me and my friends for lunch? By the way. I'm Choi Seunghyun." He said and extended his arm to Rina and I for us to shake it.

"Sure. I'm Lee Rina and this is my bestfriend Jung Mina." Rina introduced us both since I was already having a nervous breakdown in my seat. She grabbed my arm and dragged me to the table where four more beautiful boys were seated.

"Mina-ah! Get out! The entourage will be starting soon!" Rina said as she ushered me out. I nodded and sighed. Just as I stepped out I bumped into Jiyong. He seemed surprised that I arrived but I couldn't be much happier to see him. He was the one who was with me during their relationship. He was the one I vented to when I felt like I couldn't handle it anymore. I hugged him tight and he relaxed. He hugged me back and chuckled.

"It's been ten years since highschool Mina-ah. Still not over it? Really? Come on. Everything's going to be okay. I'm here." He said and hugged me back. I smiled to myself since everytime he opened that big mouth of his I found happiness and comfort in his words.

"Shut up Jiyong-ah. You know that it pains me to see them. Come on. The entourage will start soon. Seunghyun and Rina-ah will kill us if we're late. Make sure I don't trip okay?" I said and grabbed his hand to guide him into the chapel. Even though my heart is already screaming in pain whenever I see them I had to smile and be happy for them. They loved each other. That's all that matters.

I was running out of Rina's house. She told me that she and Seunghyun were dating already. I smiled at her and excused myself, pretending that I had a meeting with the mathletes. I was balling my eyes out by the time I turned a corner. 

I bumped into someone and quickly wiped my tears away. I muttered a sorry as I stared at the ground.

"Mina-ah. Is that you?" I looked up to see Jiyong looking at me. I quickly looked away and nodded. He took my hand in his hand and guided me to a nearby bench.

"What happened Mina-ah? Why are you crying?" He said and tried to tie my hair into a ponytail. I looked at him and just let everything out. I haven't talked to him often since I usually talked to Seunghyun whenever we sat at their table. I would usually shy away from the guys since I wasn't very comfortable around the opposite . Just as I finished telling him everything I was having short and raspe breaths from all the crying.

He draped his shoulder around me and tried to comfort me.

"Shh. It's okay Mina-ah. There are other guys out there. Some of them already love you and you're just not aware. Everything will be alright. Trust me. Don't worry. This will only be between the two of us." He said and started humming to me. I calmed down a bit and my breathing got more even. I smiled to myself and felt at peace by his side.

"Do you. Choi Seunghyun take Lee Rina as your lawfully wedded wife?" The pastor said. I was stopping the tears from falling down. From flowing down my eyes. Every word said during the ceremony stabbed my heart making me bleed internally.

"I do." He said and it made my world shatter. I was close to tears but Jiyong squeezed my hand tightly and I smiled at him. He nodded and mouthed an "It's okay." Trying to assure me that everything will be alright.

"I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride." The pastor said and I watched with pain as Seunghyun took Rina's face and kissed her long and passionately. I bowed my head down to avoid people looking at me as I cried. Everyone was cheering. Everyone but me. I was about to run out when Jiyong grabbed my hand. I looked at him and he smiled at me.

"Let me go with you." He said as he smiled at me. I nodded and we left the chapel together.

"Mina-ah. How could Seunghyun do this to me? He cheated on me! With another girl!" Rina was crying her eyes out in front of me. I would nod every noe and then assuring her that I was listening. That I was there. She just continued to vent everything out.

"Rina-ah. Maybe he didn't mean it?" I said trying to help. She shook her head and cried even more.

"How could he not mean it Mina-ah!? How can you make out with a girl sober and not mean it!?" She said and cried even more. I sighed and rubbed her back to help even out her breathing.

"How about ice cream and movies on me? We haven't had a girl bonding time in a while. What do you say?" She looked at me and nodded. I smiled at her and went to the phone to call Jiyong.

Jiyong: Yeoboseyo?

Me: Jiyong-ah. Uhm. Could you call Seunghyun and ask him what he did to Rina-ah? She's crying and I had to call a GNO for her to feel better.

Jiyong: I will. Are you sure that you can handle it though? I mean Seunghyun and Ri---

Me: Yes Jiyong. I can handle it. Don't worry.

Jiyong: Okay. But remember. They will eventually get back together after this fiasco.

Me: I know Jiyong-ah. But. I'm their bestfriend. I have to be there for them. Through thick and thin.

Jiyong: When will you stop hurting yourself Mina-ah? There are other guys out there.

Me: I don't know. I just don't know.

Jiyong: Okay. Take care.

*TOOT*

I put down the phone and headed back into Rina's room to help her.

We were at the reception already. Everyone was happy, partying, and having the time of their lives. They were all so thrilled that the couple from highschool are now husband and wife.

I was in a corner with Jiyong beside me. He was constantly looking at me. Checking if I was okay or if I was going to start crying again. I would smile back at him when he would bend his head a little bit too much putting it into a very awkward angle.

"Mina-ah. Are you sure you're okay? Are you really really really sure? We could leave if you want. We could go to the bar across the street and get drunk." He said and squeezed my hand. I shook my head and stuck my tongue out at him.

"Oppa. If I get drunk. And if you get drunk. We could get hurt. Or something bad will happen." I said and he smiled at me since I rarely called him Oppa.

"I will never let anything bad happen to you Mina-ah. You know that." He said and kissed my cheek. He always does that but it was the first time that I felt butterflies in my stomach when he did.

"Mina-ah. At least consider going on a blind date with someone. You might have fun. And hopefully. Get over Seunghyun Hyung." Jiyong said as he lounged around my house. I glared at him and shook my head.

"Jiyong-ah. Do you honestly think that I would go on a blind date to get over Seunghyun Oppa? You know that I would never do that." I said and resumed fixing my things. He laughed and sat beside me on the floor.

"I know you would never do that. Which makes you the sweetest, prettiest and smartest girl out there." He said and poked my sides. I glared at him but resumed my chores. He poked my legs and I moved away from him. He laughed and kissed my cheek.

"YAA! What was that for Jiyong-ah! Are you seriously trying to get on my nerves!?" I said and stood up hiding my face in my hair to not show him that I was blushing. He looked at me from under my hair and started laughing like a lunatic.

"You're blushing? Really? I knew it! I knew that you had hidden feelings for me!" He said and started jumping up and down. I shook my head and balled my hands into fists.

"I don't have feelings for you pabo!" I said and glared at him. His face fell and he stopped his happy dance.

"Oh." He said and started walking back to the couch. "I was just kidding you know." He said and sat down. I felt bad for doing that to him so I sat beside him and hugged him awkwardly. He froze but his stance relaxed a few seconds after.

"I'm sorry. Just don't do it without asking anymore alright?" I said against his side and he chuckled.

"Alright. I promise. But promise me that I am the only guy who can kiss you on the cheek other than your future boyfriend or husband. Arasso?" He said and I looked up at him and smiled. I nodded and we both stood up to resume my chores.

Jiyong and I were busy talking. Actually. He was helping me get over my sadness and I enjoyed it. Just as he was about to pinch me again Seunghyun Oppa came our way.

"Mina-ah. Wanna dance?" He said and I stared at his extended hand. I looked at Jiyong but he was looking away and motioning for me to go along. I nodded and joined him.

As we were dancing Seunghyun Oppa pulled me closer to him and I froze.

He chuckled at my reaction. "Mina-ah. Don't worry. I don't think Jiyong will mind if you were dancing with me. I am you're bestfriend after all."

I wondered why he said that. Why would Jiyong-ah mind if I danced with him?

"What are you talking about Seunghyun Oppa? Why would Jiyong-ah mind if I danced with you? Shouldn't you be worried about Rina-ah? Why are you even dancing with me?" I asked him and he just smiled at me.

"I owe you this much as my bestfriend and as the person that helped me win Rina-ah's heart. And Jiyong? He's been monopolizing you the whole night." He said and I smiled but immediately tucked my face into his chest hiding. I didn't want him to see the pain that his words caused me. How it broke my heart. He owed me this much. Only this much.

"Mina-ah. I feel so nervous.How am I supposed to do it." Seunghyun said and I smiled at him. Hiding the pain of his decision. He was proposing to her tonight. And I was helping him. Doesn't he realize how my heart is now an empty void? All because of him.

"Honestly Oppa. Just go out and say it. Rina-ah will say yes. Even if you proposed in your birthday suit." I said encouraging him to push through with it already.

"Mina-ah. Really. I'm head over heels for our bestfriend. And I don't know how the hell I'm supposed to propose to her. I feel like this is going to turn into a complete catastrophe." He said and sighed. I laughed at him. The very confident Choi Seunghyun was now on his knees nervous because of a girl.

"Oppa. You can do it. Here's a tip. She's coming home at five in the afternoon today. Buy her some yellow roses. Just by doing that she'll say yes. And here." I gave him a cd. He looked at me with doubtful eyes. "That's full of our memories together. I edited it a bit and made the last slide a "Will you marry me?" Don't worry everthing will be fine."

He looked at the cd then back at me. He smiled widely and hugged me tight.

"Thank you Mina-ah. I owe you." He said and I smiled.

Doesn't he realize that he doesn't owe me a thing. That I was okay with it? That all I wanted was to be in his arms forever.

"Mina-ah. How come you've never dated since highschool?" Oppa asked me as the song changed. I looked at him and shrugged.

"I wasn't worth the man I love." I said and smiled at him painfully. I felt tears running down my face and he wiped them off.

"What are you talking about Mina-ah? You are worth any man in the universe! Actually. Not any man is worth you. You're smart, kind, caring, beautiful and most importantly, you're honest." He said and smiled at me. I shook my head and looked down. He doesn't realize the pain I go through just by looking into his eyes.

"Mina-ah. Sometimes I wonder why you and Jiyong didn't hook up. He says the same things to me whenever I ask him the same question." He said and I looked at him with raised eyebrows.

"He does?" I asked.

"Yep. He keeps saying that the girl he loves is in love with another man. And he knows that he is not worth her time. But he will stop at nothing to stop seeing her sad all the time." He said as he repeated the words the Jiyong would normally ask him.

I was shocked. Jiyong never mentioned that he was in love with a girl. I felt bad immediately since I realized that he's been putting up with my broken heart but no one was helping him with his.

Seunghyun Oppa took my silence as an I'm speechless sign and asked me another question.

"So. Mina-ah. Who's the guy that's been breaking my bestfriend's heart everytime he walks by? Let me knock some sense into him." He said and held me closer. I cringed. Should I tell him now? Should I tell him the feelings I had for him for the past ten years? I took a deep breath and decided that it's now or never.

"O-Oppa. I-I. Uh. I-It's you. But don't tell Rina-ah. It will make her sad. I have to go." I said and separated from him. Just as I was about to leave he grabbed my hand.

"What are you talking about Mina-ah?" He said and I stared at him with more tears flowing down my face.

"It's you Oppa. It was always you." I said and ran out of the reception area. I ran out of the hotel. I had to get away from it all. I ran and ran. I didn't know where I was going until a pair of arms grabbed me around the waist.

"Will you stop running. It's hard to keep up." I recognized the familiar voice to be Jiyong. I faced him and hugged him tight. I cried into his chest soiling his suit.

"Shh. It's okay. I'm here now. It's okay." He said and I looked at him with teary eyes.

"Oppa. Why do I always have to be someone's second choice? Why do I always have to be the third wheel? Why can't any one pick me? WHy do I always have to be the bestfriend never the girlfriend?" I asked him as he looked at me with pain in his eyes. He hugged me and murmured something into my hair.

"What was that?" I asked him as he hugged me. We separated and he took a deep breath and looked me in the eyes.

"You were my first choice Mina-ah." He said and I stared at him. He sighed and nodded.

"Mina-ah. I love you. I've been loving you since the time Hyung brought you to our table. I've been watching you as you broke your heart all because of Seunghyun. All because of your unrequited love. I tried to help you. Make you forget but you loved him. I knew that. But I didn't care. I just wanted you to be happy. You have and always will be my first choice Mina-ah. Always." He said and kissed my cheek.

I stared at him in disbelief. I didn't know what to say. I didn't know what to do. He nodded and grabbed my hand.

"Just remember Mina-ah. I may not be your first choice now or maybe even in the future. But you will always be mine."


HIIII. So what do you think about my one shot. I just had to declutter my brain from these ideas. Hihi. Love y'all. Comment and subscribe. :)