8.

Danger Zone

 

Intae seems to be spending a lot of time with Kahi this whole week. He always leaves the shop early. There are also a lot of times when Miran catches him on the phone with her. Nobody really talks about them but everyone could tell that they are back together. It’s not a bad thing at all. It is just bad for her heart. She finds it harder to focus on her class or her job now, even though people couldn’t possibly tell because she hides it so well. Even when Simon treats her to her favorite food last night, she couldn’t seem to fully enjoy it. She is just a big mess inside right now.

“Hey, Miran.” Intae says while Miran is cleaning up the shop. It is six on the dot and they are all ready to close the shop. Miran looks up at Intae looking surprised. He is usually already home; or out with Kahi by the time.

“Oh? Oppa.”

“Let me send you home. I need to talk with you.”

Miran exchanges look with Jisu, who simply shrugs it off.

“Jisu, finish off the cleaning on your own today, okay? I’ll buy you pizza tomorrow.” Intae raises his hand to his employee who gives him a salute in response. “Come on, Miran.” Intae takes out his car keys from his pocket and steps outside. Miran quickly takes off the apron and gets her bag before she follows Intae.

Intae waits for her with the car door opened in his hand. Miran slips inside and braces herself for what about to come. It can’t be anything good; she knows.

Intae puts in the gear and smoothly maneuvers the car into the road. Miran wishes he doesn’t stay quiet for too long because it’s making her nervous. She wants him to be quick and done with so that her anxiety doesn’t kill her over and over again. As the car nears an empty park, Intae slows down until he finally parks his car next to the empty clearing. She could already see the apartment building she’s living at which is about five minutes walk from the park.

“I bet you guys can already tell that I’m back with Kahi.” Intae suddenly says.

Miran fidgets. When she notices her bad habit, she quickly stops and clasps her fingers together; firmly so that they will not repeat the previous act.

“Yeah.”

“It’s been about three months actually.”

Miran is surprised that it has been that long and yet nobody else knows. But then, Kahi has been living oversea this whole time. Kahi told her that she had only been back for a week. They probably had a short period of long distant relationship.

Miran nods.

“I proposed to her last night.” Intae shows Miran the ring on his finger. “We’re planning to be married in autumn.”

Miran glances at the finger. She could have seen this coming, and yet the news still comes as a big shock to her. Miran puts up a smile, with much hesitancy.

“Congratulations. I’m really happy for you.”

Intae gives Miran a brief pat on the head, chuckling.

“Kahi and I both went through a lot, but I’m glad that we finally come to this. Thanks to you. You’ve always been very supportive.”

“It’s the other way around really.” Miran laughs lightly. “I should thank you for taking care of me.”

“Promise me one thing, Miran.”

“What is it?”

“That you’ll be happy too.”

“Tch. Of course I will. I’m not five. You don’t have to worry for me like that.”

Intae laughs lightly. “You’re so stubborn.”

Miran pouts. She doesn’t feel like staying in this conversation any longer because she might burst into tears any seconds now. Intae seems to grasp the situation.

“I’ll promise you too, that I’ll be happy. Don’t worry.” Inate gently caress the side of her face. Tears start to wet her eyes, but she could see the pained look on his face. She is hurt, and he knows it. There is nothing he could do for her right now other than to let her recover on her own. Even though he is very much in love with Kahi, Miran is still very important and dear to him. She is really like a little sister to him, and he wants her to know that. Intae leans towards her and leaves a gentle kiss on top of her head.

Miran smiles, as bright as she could manage at the moment.

“Oppa, you should go home first. I’ll just walk from here.”

“Are you sure? It’s dark now.”

Miran nods. “Don’t worry. I’ll be fine.”

Intae lets out a small sigh and nods, allowing her to walk home on her own.

She leaves the car and stands at the sidewalk, waving at him with her big smile even though she was breaking apart inside. Once he leaves, Miran walks to one of the bench and plops herself on it. She throws her sight as far as the city view could bring her, and let her feelings lose in the illuminated sky. Effortlessly, tears start to roll down her cheeks. She knows from the beginning that there will be no alternate ending  other than crashing into the ground. Yet, she insists on holding onto that false hope that someday he might return her feelings. Foolish and childish, but she refuse to acknowledge it nonetheless. What she doesn’t expect is that it would still hurt this much even knowing that things would never turn the way she wants it to be.

I’m glad. I’m really glad that he’ll be happy. Miran tells herself over and over again, thinking that the tears will stop soon, but they only prove to be otherwise.

Miran wipes the endless tears with the back of her hands. “I’ll be fine. I’ll be fine.” She comforts herself. Maybe she’ll feel better if she talks to Jisu tomorrow morning. Suddenly, Miran could feel a shadow looming from behind her. She wipes clean her face and slowly turns around. It’s Simon. Miran looks to the front again and hangs her head low so that her hair would hide her face from him. Simon takes a seat next to her.

“Did Intae oppa send you here?” She asks him with her shaky voice. Simon doesn’t answer. That must be the case then. “Go home. I don’t want you to see me like this.”

“Don’t say that. Let me see your face.”

“I can’t do that. I don’t have the right to cry in front of you.”

Simon slips his hand underneath the curtain of locks framing her face, and gently pushes her chin up. He casts a gentle look on her tear-stained face, and then wipes her tears with his thumb.

“It’s okay. It’s finally over. You can cry as much as you want.” He tells her.

She’s so thankful that he reacts that way.

“Simon, I’m fine. You should go home." Miran gingerly pushes his hand off her.

Simon shakes his head and smiles gently at her. He raises a plastic bag. “I have beer.” Simon takes a couple of cans out and opens one for her before he does so for himself. Miran takes a small sip and then let the coldness of the can seeps into her hands.

Miran smiles again, this time genuinely. “I guess it’s really over now. I have no other choice but to move on.”

“Now that’s my girl.” Simon playfully ruffles her hair. Miran lets him. She usually hates such childish gesture, but right now, it’s comforting. Any feelings aside, Simon truly is a great friend. That is why she cherishes him so much.

“I might miss him sometimes.” Miran adds, and cries again.

“That’s fine. It’s normal.”

“But I’ll be fine, right?”

Simon nods. “Of course you will. You are Yoo Miran.”

Miran laughs a little, despite her running tears. "I'm not giving up on his morning coffee though."

Simon chuckles. “Let’s have a toast,” he suggests. “For a new beginning. For you, and for us.” Simon raises his beer can. Miran does the same.

“For a new beginning.” Miran clank her beer can with Simon’s.

“For our friendship too,” Simon adds. Miran nods agreely.

“For our friendship.”

 


 

[Author's Note] Thank you very much for reading! All comments are loved!