5.

Danger Zone

 

It is surprising to not see Simon at class that day. Simon and her both major in different courses, but they share a couple of the same university required classes in a week.

“Miran, where is Simon?” Jooye asks her bestfriend since it si uncommon to see Simon miss class. Miran shrugs. She has no idea. Simon rarely skips class. If he does he would tell her. He only does that for unavoidable reasons. Once the class starts, Miran concentrates on the lecture as usual and then heads to the cafeteria for lunch with Jooye afterwards. Before she begins eating, she sends a message to Simon, asking about his absence this morning.

“Hey, Jooye, Miran!” Daniel joins the table with Donglim.

“Hey, guys!” Jooye chirps.

“Miran, have you seen Simon? I called him so many times but he never picks up.” Donglim asks. Miran stops eating, her spoon stops midway towards . That’s unusual. Donglim, Daniel and Simon are really close. He would never ignore their phone calls.

“You guys don’t know too?” Miran asks back.

The look on Daniel and Donglim’s faces change. They look worried now.

“I thought you would know. He always tells you everything.” Daniel says.

“Do you guys have classes this evening?”

“Yeah, Donglim and I do.”

“Never mind. I’ll go and check on him at his apartment later.”

It isn’t even later. After lunch, Simon still hasn’t reply to her mesage. Miran quickly bids goodbye to Jooye who is also staying at the campus for another class right after lunch hour. When she is out of their sight, Miran runs as fast as she could to the sidewalk and stops a taxi. She tells the taxi driver the address and then anxiously tries to sit still. She might have to spend a lot of money from her part time job earning for the taxi fees, but she couldn’t wait even a second longer for the bus to come. Simon always lets her know if anything happens to him. It scares her that nobody is able to reach him that day. He doesn’t even reply to her text message.

Miran’s breathing gets ragged as she runs all the way to Simon’s single apartment on the fourth floor. Out of all days, the elevator has to be broken at that very moment so she has to take the stairs. Miran stops in front of a door with the number 411 and takes a few moments to calm down. She presses the doorbell twice and waits for about ten seconds. No answer. She grows more anxious as her heart starts to stubbornly pound hard against her chest.

She presses the doorbell again just to be sure, and even makes a call to his cellphone. None of those are answered.

“Simon, answer me will you?” Miran desperately yells into her phone and pounds on the door with her little fist. To her surprise, the door cracks open. Behind it is Simon with his eyes half-opened. His face red and his hair a mess. He opens his mouth to say something but his voice doesn’t come out.

“Oh, my god!” Miran steps into the house, forcing Simon to stagger a few steps back in the narrow hallway. Miran presses her palm on his forehead and it feels scorching hot under her skin. “Simon, why didn’t you tell anyone that you’re sick?”

He slowly makes his way to the square shaped living room which serves as his bedroom as well his dining room. “I’ve been sleeping the whole day.” He weakly says and sits down on the mattress spread in the middle of the square area. He pulls his blanket closer to him and reaches for his phone. He seems surprised that there are so many text messages and phone calls from his friends. Miran sits next to him, watching over him with worried eyes.

“Have you seen the doctor?”

Simon nods, pointing to the white plastics with pills inside next to him. Miran reaches for the plastics and inspect the content.

“You haven’t taken any of these, have you?” Miran shoots him strict looks. Simon scratches the back of his head and shakes his head. He is probably too sick to fix himself a proper meal and take his medicines. “Have you eaten anything today?” Simon shakes his head again. Miran sighs. She gets up and heads to the kitchen. She reaches a bowl and fills it with water.

“Simon, you should have told someone. You’re scaring me.”

“But Daniel and Donglim have classes today. I don’t want to disturb them. I told Dari hyung though. He is coming tonight.” Simon tells her. Dari hyung is a club DJ who he works with this whole time. They hang out together a lot to make music and stuffs.

“Tonight is still a lot of hours away.” Miran replies firmly.

“I didn’t know you would be that worried,” Simon grins.

Miran looks back, shooting daggers from her eyes. She returns by his side with a small towel dipped in the bowl of water. She reaches for his warm cheek and pinches it as a way to make him stop grinning. Simon winces but laughs shortly after.

“Wipe that stupid grin off your face. Now lie down.” Miran orders.

“Yes, mom.” Simon does as he is told, but he is still smiling. What feels better than being taken care of by the girl that you have a crush on? Miran dabs the wet towel all over his face and neck, and then leaves it on his forehead.

“You can sleep for now. I’ll cook you something.” Miran returns to the kitchen and rummages the refrigerator for ingredients. Simon could hear her murmuring complains at the lack of fresh and healthy food in storage. She pulls out a couple of stuffs from the fridge and starts working by the kitchen counter. For some reason, looking at her back makes him so happy.

“Miran?”

“Hm?” She replies without turning back or pausing her task.

“Are you still mad at me?”

“Mad at you? For what?”

“You’re not mad at me?”

Miran chuckles. “Why would I be mad at you?”

“I’m glad.”

“Go to sleep now. I’m going to make you rice porridge. It might take awhile.”

Simon slips further into his blanket. He closes his eyes but he couldn’t fall asleep. When he opens his eyes gain, he smiles as soon as he sees Miran from her back, going about in the narrow kitchen. Simon reaches for his phone and takes a picture of her.

“Miran?”

“Yeah?”

“I think you’ll make a good wife.” Simon grins. Miran briefly turns her head to look at him. She is frowning.

“Are you trying to flirt with me? Because if you are, you better stop it.” She warns with firm tone, but that just makes Simon’s grin wider.

“If I don’t want to?”

“I’ll put poison in your food.”

Simon chuckles. “It’s okay. I’ll still eat all of it because you cook it for me.”

Miran rolls her eyes. “Go to sleep, Simon.”

“Okay, mommy.”