1.

Danger Zone

The citizens of Seoul have all slipped beneath the warm sheet of their blankets, lulled into deep sleep in the middle of the chilly night. The city itself on the other hand is still buzzing with life. Some people are burning the night’s oil, buried under paperworks in the skycraper office building while some seek lively entertainment under the pulsing bright lights shone upon the dance floor. For a group of college students consist of three young men and two girls, they enjoy good food at a cozy Korean restaurant that opens 24/7, downing intoxicating drinks late into the night and childish games after finishing a torturous exam week.

“My turn!” Daniel smirks at Simon who is sitting next to the two girls, Miran and Jooye. The other guy, Donglim sits with Daniel across the low table.

Simon sighs with a defeated smile. He has a feeling that Daniel might pull a leg on him.

“I have a crush on someone here.” Daniel announces, still looking energetic when everyone else starts to see under half-lidded eyes.

Simon shrugs and picks up his soju shot glass, filled with coke because he drives, and downs the content in one shot. Miran doesn’t seem surprised but she exchanges a curious look towards Jooye who seems bewildered. Donglim and Daniel get worked up and high-fived each other.

“Okay, okay, my turn!” Donglim chips enthusiastically. He takes a dramatic pause, sending each person a mischievous look before he announces, “that crush is sitting next to me.”

The group errupt into a loud cheer. Miran looks a bit uneasy while Simon looks just like he was previously; just keeping himself cool and collected. Miran, who happens to be sitting next to Simon turns her face slightly to the side, just enough to see Simon’s hand movement. As soon as she saw the arm with the well-defined muscle reaching out for yet another shot, Miran stands up abruptly.

“Oh, shoot guys. I have to get home right now or my mom would scream at me. Bye guys!” Miran blurted in one breath in what seems like a blatantly fake act, but she couldn’t care less. She ignores the complains from her college buddies and flees from the scene. She walks as fast as she can along the sidewalk outside of the restaurant. When she sees drunken men in suit swaying and tumbling by the sidewalk, she finally remembers that it’s really late right now to walk alone.

“Miran, wait!”

She knows he would go after her. Should she stay, or run away?

Miran looks behind her and puts up a smile when she sees Simon catching up to her. Fake as she might look but she has no other idea how to put up with this situation.

Simon is slightly panting but he doesn’t even pause for air. “Are you planning to go home alone?”

Miran nods and smiles at him, pretending like she isn’t affected the slightest. “Yeah, I’ll be totally fine.” As soon as she claims that, a drunken man accidentally bumps into her, causing her to jump to the side and shrieks in horror. Simon pulls her towards him, gently holding her in place. The man bows in apology, though he looks like he isn’t even sure what he is saying with his slurred words. Once the guy passes by, Miran takes a step away from Simon, freeing herself from his hold.

“Let me send you home.”

Miran shakes her head, “I told you-”

Simon grabs her wrist and drags her along with him.

“There’s no taxi at this hour. I’ll send you home.” Simon insists, his eyes sternly looking ahead, probably looking at the place where he parked his car.

“Fine, but you can let go of my hand now.”

Simon takes a glance at Miran and smiles, “I can’t do that. You might run away from me again.”

Miran rolls her eyes, but she couldn’t help laughing a little.

Her house isn’t that far from their favorite restaurant. It takes twenty minutes by car at most. However, those twenty minutes feel like hours to Miran right now. Both of them coincidentally decide it is best to keep quiet for the time being. The silence grows thicker even when the radio keeps playing catchy tunes. It is awkward to the point she feels like jumping out of the car.

It’s been a while since Simon brings up about his feelings towards her. It is already more than a year since he first confessed to her. She doesn’t expect for him to still feel that way. The problem with that is, she doesn’t feel the same way.