First Encounter

Love's Second Chance - *story abandoned*

(Yoona’s POV)

Yoona was half dragged into a corner by a sleazy looking man. At first the girl was caught off guard, and wasn’t able to put up resistance, because of her slight frame. Once well within the corner, she looked around herself to look for any sign of help; she saw none, and she knew there was no point in screaming out for help. Instead of getting disheartened though, she began to concentrate really hard on the few simple self-defence techniques she had learned when she had taken a class a few years ago. Come on Yoona, you can do this. This guy doesn’t look like a professional criminal, just a petty thief. You can get yourself out of this. The man, meanwhile, was trying to gag her from behind her. He had a firm hold on her wrists with one hand, while the other arm formed a choke hold around . She guessed that he was trying to knock her out cold so that he could run away with her purse, and car, if he could manage without any interference. She quickly did what she remembered from her class. She stepped on his instep with her thick heels, which temporarily surprised him enough that his hold on her wrists loosened. Taking advantage of that, she quickly pulled her hands away, and elbowed his nose, forcing him to step back away from her. With his hold around loose, she pulled away, and quickly kicked his shin with all her might. This sent him falling on the ground. He looked so surprised at what had happened to him that he quickly got up and pushed her away and ran off, not wanting to attract any attention.

Can this day get any worse? Ughh, my cellphone broke when he pushed me! she looked down to where her cellphone lay cracked clearly frustrated with the events of the night. “How am I supposed to call for a designated driver now?” she said to no one in particular. Guess I’ll just have to ask someone on the street, the diner must be closed by now, it’s past midnight…

She began heading to the direction of her car, wanting to grab a sweater, before walking out to the street. Someone suddenly blocked her way, half way to her car. She stumbled back just a little, and looked up to see the face of one of the guys who had been in the diner when the scene had happened. They looked for a while at each other, neither saying a word. Yoona soon got irritated at his stare, and his unmoving body, and tried to move past him. “Do you need some help?” she heard him call out. Why would I need your help NOW? She thought ungratefully, only to remember that she needed a cellphone to call for the driver service. She turned around slowly to face him again. “Do you have a cellphone I can borrow to make a call? I need to call for a designated driver…” she said looking at him expectantly. “Sorry, no cellphone. My sister grabbed it earlier and threw it away” the expression of torment on his face made her want to giggle, but she held it in; after all she didn’t know this man, and the hour was getting late, she was tired and her brain was just slightly beginning to cloud. She gave him a nod, and turned around again towards the street, forgetting about her sweater. “I could just drive you home… If you don’t mind.” She looked at him uncertainly, contemplating her choices. “Don’t worry; I’m not trying to do anything. You seem like you need some help” she nodded after a moment’s thought, accepting his help.

In the car she her GPS for him, so that he could get her home. She didn’t really like the situation she was currently in; it bothered her to be in a car with an unknown man, taking her to her home, especially when her judgement was impaired and her lack of a cellphone was also a liability. “So, what were you doing behind the diner anyway?” she noted his surprise at her sudden question. They had been driving in silence all this time, but her not knowing anything about him made her feel uneasy. “I was taking a shortcut home.” He answered simply. Yoona looked at him when he began speaking again, “When I saw you being dragged, I tried to come to help, but it didn’t seem like you needed any. You handled him well on your own. You seem pretty able for someone your size. That was really impressive, I must admit. You're not hurt anywhere right, you're okay?”. To which she replied with a nod, and a tiny smile.

She tried to imagine what that must have looked like from his point of view, and without consciously knowing it, a smile spread across her face. She knew that in a whole bunch of other situations she would have been screwed. Say for example, there had been more than own attacker, or someone more experienced able to do a quick and merciless job, she wouldn’t have stood a chance. But luck was on her side, and she thought she might have looked somewhat bad-; her smile deepened. She began feeling better because of her ridiculous thoughts.

“What’s your name?” his question brought her back from her thoughts. She looked over to see him staring at her expectantly; they were stopped at a red light. “Im Yoona imnida” she replied, her eyes implied the same question back at him. “Ok Taecyeon imnida” she noticed that he somehow possessed the ability to put people around him at ease. She began to relax, and rested her head back on the head-seat.

The two soon began to make light conversation with each other, she felt totally at ease. She seemed to forget everything, her past, for a while, and laughed with her heart. I guess talking to people who don’t know what’s happened to you really does help lift up your mood. I feel so calm and light right now, when just moments ago I was depressed. I wonder if he’s experiencing the same thing as me right now, though I do know just a tiny bit more about him than he does me. She thought back to the times when she and her sister had some of their heavier fights. She could remember how ridiculous she had been, how immature and whiny she had sounded. She somehow knew that this was exactly the case with his sister.

Suddenly, without knowing what came over her (probably the alcohol she thought in hindsight), she said, “You know, one day, a few years down the road you and your sister are going to look back at moments like today and laugh at how ridiculous the situation was. I can tell you from experience, being a younger sister; I used to make a big deal about things and give my sister a real hard time, but no matter what, through bad times she was my brick wall, especially when our family passed away”. The mood suddenly became serious, all humour lost.

Silence stretched, but she didn’t regret a word of what she had said. “You really think so…?” he said finally. She looked over to see him, a somewhat desperate look on his face. She quickly gathered her wits, and looked back at him with surety. “Trust me; from the point of a teenager girl, your sister just doesn’t know how to control her more impulsive thoughts. I know it seems like something that will never change, but don’t you remember being the same way in your teens? She’ll grow out of it soon, maybe at a slower pace than others, but it will happen.” Of course she could be like one of those people who never grow up, but that’s best left unmentioned at this point. Plus, she reminds me of myself, I think there’s hope still left. “It would be easier though, if you two were better at communicating with each other. You’ll need to trust that she’s growing up and treat her as such, which will inevitably result in her growing up” Yoona ended surely. She noticed him looking at her, but she also noticed that he wasn’t really looking at her; she could tell he was thinking over what she had just said.

How’d the conversation get from what school did you go to, what do you do, to something so personal. Yoona, you really need to control your mouth when you drink! This is absolutely none of your business, you just met this man like all of twenty minutes ago, and you’ve already started to advise him about things you know nothing about. GET A GRIP, AND SHUT YOUR MOUTH!

Her self-admonishing lecture got interrupted, she jerked to look at him with surprise. “Thank you, really. I think you put some perspective about how to deal with my sister for me. I think you’re right. I have to treat her like a responsible person, in order for her to become one” he sounded so earnest, that she smiled genuinely at him.

In about five more minutes of a quiet ride, where she guessed he was still thinking about his sister, they arrived at the parking lot below her apartment. “Thanks, Taecyeon-ssi. Here’s my number if you ever need my help with anything; you’ve helped me out immensely” she held out her business card at him. “I think you’ve helped me in more ways than you realize, so no need to feel like you need to pay me back” he smiled, nevertheless accepting the card. “How do you plan on getting home, there are no busses anywhere near by?” Yoona questioned with some concern. She saw him looking at her with a lost expression on her face. She smiled; he looked like an overgrown child. “Do you want to come up to my flat and use my phone to call a taxi, or a friend?” she suggested, deciding to trust him, since he seemed like a decent person. Anyway, if he had any ulterior motives, he wouldn’t have brought me home safely. And he did help me in a fix.

Both slowly made their way up to her apartment. She invited him in, and showed him to her phone. While he made his call, she went into the washroom to freshen up. “You want some coffee while you wait?” she offered as she came out. He nodded, and she went in to make a coffee for herself and for Taecyeon. She handed him a cup, and she sipped her coffee.

“So are you going to tell me about your problem, seeing as you already know something of mine?” she almost chocked on her coffee. She looked at him sharply, deciding whether to be calm, and evade the question, or to give him a cold answer, nowhere near the truth. Then she remembered that he had opened up to her, in a way. If he’d asked about anything else, I might actually have shared it with him. But not this. Only Yuri, Sica, SunAh and I can know about this. “Something happened a few years ago, but I honestly rather not talk about it, I hope you don’t mind. This just isn’t something that I can talk about… with someone I don’t really know” she looked out the window as she spoke, her expression resembling the dead. He kept silent, and stared at her reflection on the window, before moving towards the door. “Yoona-ssi, it’s time I left. See you around sometime” she didn't make a move as he left. She came back from her to her senses when she heard the door close, and sighed sadly. She felt bad about shutting him out like that, but it just isn’t like her to talk about DongSu, with just anyone… and yet she felt guilty for not having shared. I wonder why I feel like I should have shared with him?


NOTE:

Okay, I did not want to imply in any way that Yoona possesses any super strength, all the moves that she used are basic defence moves.

Also, she really isn't someone who butts her nose into other people's business, but she was drunk and she figured she'd never see Taecyeon again, and so she basically just gave in and behaved in a way that she normally wouldn't.

A peek into Taecyeon's thoughts --> he's really surprised at the way that she handled herslef, he respects that she's able to take care of herself. Also, he doesn't mind her talking to him about his sister, in fact he really appreciates her advice.

I know the chapter left off at an awkward moment with the two (Yoona didn't mean to be rude to him). He thought that he had offended her when she looked away so he left, and Yoona was too lost in her thoughts to notice that he was leaving... but don't worry, I have a feeling that they'll meet again soon ;)

 

-- img credit (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/snsd%20royal%20family)