Part 1

Sing Me To Peace

 

Kyungsoo went to the school back yard to see his best friend sitting under the tree leaning on it, listening to the music with her eyes closed. He sit next to her and took off one of her earplug then put it on his ear. She doesn't even have to open her eyes to see who it was. She knew it was Kyungsoo. 

She opened her eyes and smiled at Kyungsoo even though he didn't see it. Then she put her head on Kyungsoo's shoulder closing her eyes back. Kyungsoo started to mumbling the song quietly, then rising his voice a bit. She could hear his beautiful soft voice as she took off the earplug and listen to Kyungsoo's voice instead. A few moment later, without realizing it she fell asleep by the melody. 

*

That was the last time Kyungsoo had ever seen her healthy. At least that's what he knew. He hate to admit it but he afraid that might be the last time. 

He sat on the chair next to her hospital bed. She was eating her dinner as Kyungsoo watch her.

"Why did you do this?" Kyungsoo asked all of the sudden "Just why."

She looked at him confused, still chewing her food "What do you mean?"

"Why did you lie?" Kyungsoo looked at her with a look she had never seen on him. She looked down at her plate tried to avoid the eye contact with him. 

All these times she lied to Kyungsoo. She lied to everyone every time they asked her if she was okay and she would always answer with a 'yes'. But the truth is she's never been okay for her whole life. 

She just had to.

"I'm sorry." Sorry is all she could say. But letting Kyungsoo know about her condition would never change her life even though she wanted to be cure. But anyhow she still ill and the chance is small. Very small.

Kyungsoo held her hand and she began to look at him "You'll be home. I promise"

She could only nodded and gave him her best smile as she mumbled a 'thank you' to him. Kyungsoo was definitely right but he just couldn't understand his own words. 


She'll be home. 


Soon. 


Few minutes later she began to feel sleepy. But a part of her brain couldn't take her to sleep. It just won't. She pouted and looked at the figure whose still sitting next to her for hours, playing with his gadget.

"Kyungsoo, go home. I know you're bored."

Kyungsoo looked away from his phone "No I'm not. Just sleep already."

"I can't."

Kyungsoo sighed and put his phone on the table "Close your eyes." She did as Kyungsoo said. He began to sing a song. His voice sound so perfect in her ears. Without realizing it, it led her to sleep.

*

Kyungsoo woke up as he felt a gentle touch his hair. He lifted his heavy head and yawned. She giggled at Kyungsoo's cute action "I told you to go home. Or at least you could sleep on the couch."

"It's too far." He answered, rubbing his eyes.

"From what?"

"From you."

Her hand stop. She felt as her heart ache every time Kyungsoo being sweet. They'll be clouds away eventually. Why can't Kyungsoo just understand? 

 

After having her breakfast, Kyungsoo took her out for a walk around the hospital with a wheel chair. He pushed her to the hospital park. It was pretty nice actually. It had a beautiful view heading to the downtown of Seoul.

 

“Kyungsoo, i lied to you.” She said looking at Kyungsoo who was focusing on the sight in front of him  “I lied to you for years, why didn’t you hate me?”

 

Kyungsoo smiled. That is the question he’d been asking to himself all these time. She lied to him, but why can’t he just hate her and make everything easier? “I wanted to.” Kyungsoo answered along with a heavy breath “And i’ve tried. But i just couldn’t” He shrugged still looking ahead.

“Hating you wouldn’t make things easier for me. It just wasting my time. And technically, how could a person hate the person they love so much.” Kyungsoo turned his head facing her. She was just frozenly stared at Kyungsoo, she wanted to speak but she couldn’t find the right words. She just lost at it.

 

*

 

Day by day, her face getting pale and pale. Kyungsoo keeps getting worry everytime she said she was fine but everyone knows that she wasn’t at all. How many times left does she has? A year? Month? Week? Or even........

 

“Days?!” Kyungsoo slammed the table in front of him “How many days exactly?”

 

“We’re not sure either. But days is what we can confirm.” The doctor answered as Kyungsoo felt his body going to collapse soon “I’m sorry. We’ve tried our best.”

 

Kyungsoo glared at him and slammed the table once again before he got up “Bull!” He left the office. Kyungsoo was upset to himself without any reason. How can he prepare himself in days? It was too impossible for Kyungsoo. Days could be in anytime soon. It could be tomorrow. He never thought it would be this fast. Not in the count of days.