Side story: Dongwoo's Surrender With a Smile

The Measure of a Heartbeat

 

Dongwoo jerks awake in the middle of the night, only to feel his heart rate fluctuating wildly. He presses the emergency button at the side of the bed. A nurse pulls over a medical respiratory system while another calls for the doctor.

Dongwoo knows that he doesn’t have many heartbeats left to spare.

“Call my family.” He says through the oxygen mask.

“Don’t worry, we’ve done so. They’re on their way. Are you feeling better?” Chorong says and looks at Dongwoo with concern.

Dongwoo closes his eyes as his eyebrows creased in agony.

“I… B-bomi…” He stutters.

“What is it? Bomi?” Chorong says and steals a glance at Bomi before looking at Dongwoo again.

“Or-organ donation… I want to…”

“You want to donate?”

“For Bomi…”

“You’ll need a form…” Chorong says, “Wait a moment.”

Chorong runs to her colleague nearby, whispers something, and then rushes off somewhere else.

 

Dongwoo’s family finally arrives, his parents and two sisters. He calls them over one by one, and hugs and kisses every one of them on the cheek.

“Don’t cry.” He says, though tears are threatening to fall from his own eyes, “I love you all.”

Seeing his family members break down in tears, he says again, “Yah, don’t cry. I want to be the first to die while smiling.”

“You punk, you still have the mood to joke at a time like this?” His eldest sister says in the middle of sobs, “I’m pretty sure you’re not the first anyway.”

Dongwoo begins to laugh but he ends up coughing.

“Dongwoo-ah, my son!” His mother cries and falls by his bedside to hold his face with both hands.

“Don’t worry, I’m okay, I’ll go peacefully.” He says exceptionally calmly.

At this moment, Chorong arrives with a paper and pen.

Dongwoo’s eyebrows raise and he struggles to sit up straight but Chorong tells him to lie back down.

“You can sign while lying down.”

And so Dongwoo lies back down and picks up the pen.

He feels his heart rate slowing down and quickly signs his name on the dotted line.

When it’s done, he smiles in satisfaction.

In a heartbeat, he has possibly prolonged the life of a girl, one who is so special to him in every way.

His heart rate is almost coming to a still and Dongwoo can feel it.

He looks into the eyes of each and every family member, and then at the nurses, all the while keeping the smile on his face.

They all try their best to smile back at him, though it’s excruciatingly difficult.

And then, he closes his eyes and feels the last heartbeat; he surrenders his soul and he does it with a smile.

 

A/N: Bonus! ^^ It was supposed to be included in the story, but well, I couldn't really fit it in, so here it is as a side story. Aha, this is more drabble-like huh? Heh (: