Final

The Measure of a Heartbeat

 

“Hello!”

All of a sudden, a bright voice booms even as Bomi sobs hard with her head buried in her knees. Slowly, she raises her gaze to see a boy with a big toothy grin.

“I’m Dongwoo, the long-term resident here. Nice to meet you!”

Bomi simply frowns and hits the palm of his outstretched hand.

“Why are you so happy? I’m not happy to be here at all.”

“You’re going to have to stay whether you like it or not, so might as well like it.”

“Easier said than done.” She scoffs and lies down on the bed, back facing him.

He hears the sobs return again.

“Why’re you crying?”

There was no reply, just more sobs.

He pokes her back lightly.

“Hmm?” He prompts.

“Six months. They said that was the most I could get if there’s no suitable donor.”

And Bomi knows how slim the chances are, because the donor would likely have to be deceased, and have signed the form for organ donation after death, and have that healthy organ which is suitable for her body, and have to be in close proximity upon death.

Dongwoo purses his lips in thought as Bomi begins wetting the pillow with her tears.

“But you’re still alive and well, aren’t you?” He says.

Bomi turns to look at him. She blinks once, and then twice.

“Bomi.” She says, “The name’s Bomi.”

“Bomi.” Dongwoo repeats with a smile, “Nice name.”

Bomi feels the ends of her lips curve upwards. Dongwoo, she remembers.

 

“Bomirilla!” He proudly announces the nickname he came up with for her, “Because you look like a gorilla when you frown like that.”

Bomi glares at him with a deathly stare.

“You can make one for me too, if you’d like.” He says with teasing eyes.

Bomi analyses Dongwoo carefully from top to bottom, and her gaze falls on the gummy smile which seems almost permanent.

“Dinowoo,” She says, “Because people like you are practically extinct.”

Dongwoo chuckles melodiously.

“I like the way you put your words together.” He says.

“Why?”

“I’m not very smart, but I guess you’re trying to say I’m special, or rare?” He says and then laughs in embarrassment.

Rare indeed. Bomi looks at Dongwoo thoughtfully, fascinated by how the boy can always see things in such a positive light.

 

Whenever Bomi starts frowning or sobbing, Dongwoo will always be there to poke her and irritate her with his bright grin. She is thoroughly irritated, yes, but Bomi isn’t angry at Dongwoo. Because she realizes how she doesn’t feel sad any longer.

 

Bomi thinks Dongwoo is strange, because he never stops smiling even though he has to be trapped in this place for such a long time.

 

“Bomirilla!”

Dongwoo’s voice rings at her ears even though she’s covering them with a pillow.

“Shut up, I want to sleep!”

“Time to rise and shine! It’s such a beautiful day today!” He quips.

Bomi sits up on the bed begrudgingly and rolls her eyes.

“Mr. Dinowoo. You say that every single day.”

“But every single day is beautiful!”

“Um, if you haven’t realized, it’s pouring today.”

“You do know that a day’s worth is not actually determined by the weather right?”

Bomi rolls her eyes again and falls back into bed.

“I’m not going to argue with you.”

“Because you know you won’t win.”

“No, because I don’t want to waste my precious time.”

“Then don’t waste it on sleeping. It’s already 10am for goodness’ sake; it’s time for some early morning exercise.”

Bomi grunts and flips over to the other side, trying to drown out Dongwoo’s voice.

 

“Remind me why I’m doing this with you again.” Bomi says as they walk side by side in the little park which isn’t very far from their ward.

“Because you want to learn to appreciate the beauty of the early birds’ singing, the morning dew on the blooming flowers, get some good exercise –”

“Stop!” Bomi says, raising a hand up in front of Dongwoo.

“It’s simple really – you were irritating, and beyond naggy.”

“But it feels good doesn’t it?” Dongwoo says, and then closes his eyes and takes in a breath of fresh air.

Bomi feels the warmth of the sun on her skin and sees butterflies dancing around brightly coloured flowers.

Her eyes become narrow slits of crescents and she smiles lightly as she says to no one in particular, “I guess so.”

 

Bomi stretches out her arms in front of her.

“Dongwoo.” She calls out as she plays with her fingers, even though she can’t see them clearly in the dark.

“Hmm?”

“I can’t sleep.”

“I’m not asleep yet either.”

“What are you doing now?”

“Listening to the rhythm of heartbeats.”

“Huh?”

“Shh, keep quiet, and listen closely.”

Bomi keeps quiet and listens. At first, she only hears a whirring frequency, but gradually, she hears them.

The delicate sounds of her heartbeats, soft yet firm. It gives her a queer sense of peacefulness and calmness. She feels the thumping of the heartbeats within her as well and suddenly has the thought, “Yes, I am alive and I can feel it.”

“I hear them.” She says, “It’s so peaceful.”

“Better than imaginary sheeps eh?” Dongwoo chuckles, “It’s my personal solution when I can’t fall asleep or when I begin thinking about things I shouldn’t dwell on.”

 Bomi simply smiles, even though Dongwoo can’t see her in the dark.

“Okay, let’s get some sleep now.” Dongwoo says gently and Bomi replies with a soft murmur, “Hm.”

Bomi and Dongwoo fall asleep while listening to the sound of their heartbeats.

 

“Are you leaving this place soon?” Bomi says all of a sudden as they take a morning stroll in the garden. (After she tried it that day, she walks with him every day.)

“How did you…” Dongwoo says, his voice trailing off as his eyes widen.

“But yes, I am actually.”

Bomi gives a smirk and says, “How nice. I wish I could leave too.”

Dongwoo looks shocked and exclaims, “No, you mustn’t think that way! You should rejoice in all circumstances, even if you have to stay here for a long time.”

“Hmm, I know, but sometimes I just can’t help but think about it. We’ll stay in contact even after you leave right?”

Dongwoo looks slightly puzzled and says cautiously, “In a way I guess…”

“Good.” Bomi smiles a smile which Dongwoo thinks is the happiest he’s ever seen.

 

“You know that boy? I heard from Dr. Kim that he doesn’t have very long left.”

“Oh my gosh, really?”

Bomi stirs from her sleep as she hears voices chattering in the ward.

“It’s such a pity. He’s such a sweet boy.”

“I know. He’s so bright. I’m going to miss him. The ward will become much quieter without him.”

Bomi frowns at their words. Why does it sound like somebody she knows?

She turns over and sees Dongwoo’s bed. Only upon seeing it empty does it hit her that this is the first day she isn’t woken up by Dongwoo’s bright greeting or incessant poking.

“No wonder something doesn’t feel right.” She thinks.

“Excuse me,” She calls out with a raised hand. The nurse wearing the name tag ‘Park Chorong’ approaches her and asks with a smile, “Yes, Bomi?”

“Where’s Dongwoo?” She asks by name – they are relatively close with all the nurses in that ward since they are ‘long-term residents’ as Dongwoo would say.

“Um…” Chorong hesitates for a moment, and then says, “He’ll be back soon.”

“But where is he?” Bomi’s voice cracks slightly as she says. She almost feels like crying and she’s not even sure why.

“Bomi-ah.”

“Tell me, unnie. Were you guys talking about him? Is he in critical condition?”

“Bomi – ”

“For goodness’ sake, just tell me unnie!”

“Honestly, he doesn’t have very long left to live. He just out just now, but don’t worry, his time isn’t up just yet.”

“Even lesser than me?” Bomi asks on the verge of tears.

Chorong looks into Bomi’s pleading eyes and she can’t bear to tell her, but well, Bomi has to know sooner or later.

She nods a few times, and then leaves.

 

Bomi has her head buried in her knees again when Dongwoo returns to the ward after his recovery from the episode.

“Bomirilla!” He exclaims, “Are you up yet?”

Dongwoo pokes her a few times and says, “Are you still sleeping? The breakfast is really nice today! There’s diluted hot chocolate and French toast.”

“Bomi?” He calls cautiously, when he realizes that something’s wrong and her body seems to be shaking.

Little sobbing sounds escape from her curved up figure, and he asks, “Are you crying?”

Bomi looks at him with red eyes.

“Yes, you idiot, I’m crying. Why didn’t you say anything at all? How come you’re still in the mood for hot chocolate and French toast when even I feel like crap after hearing about it?” Bomi blurts out, her words a little unclear due to the sobbing.

“But I thought you knew? I told you I was leaving.”

“I... I thought you were leaving because you’re getting better.”

“Oh.”

Bomi continues sobbing into her knees as Dongwoo stands by her bed.

“Bomi, there are some things we can’t change.”

Like a child throwing tantrums, Bomi continues crying and says, “But I don’t care! I don’t want you to leave!”

“Bomi.” He holds her shoulders tightly and tries to turn her to face him but she refuses to budge.

“Bomi!” He finally shouts and she looks at him, shocked.

“Just because I’m dying doesn’t mean I’m any less alive than you are right now.”

“Huh?” She says with a clueless expression as tears roll down her cheeks.

“We don’t have any time to waste, so let’s enjoy every moment we have.” He gives her a bright grin and stretches out his hand.

A smile spreads across Bomi’s tear-stained face.

“Crazy. You crazy happy boy.” Bomi says while laughing.

“Do you want to be crazy with me? You look kind of crazy now, too.” Dongwoo laughs and Bomi randomly wonders how that sound has become her one of favourite sounds.

“Let’s be crazy together.” Bomi takes the hand that Dongwoo is holding out and smiles at him.

 

Bomi thinks Dongwoo is strong, because he never stops smiling even though his life will be taken away from him very soon.

 

Within the compound of the hospice, they watch movies and fly kites, read children's books together in the library and feed the birds in the park.

 

The two are sharing a bowl of ice shavings dessert when Bomi asks, “How much time do you have left? How many weeks? …Or days?”

“Bomi-ah,” Dongwoo begins, with his smile still intact. He doesn’t look at her, but continues eating the dessert.

“The only unit of time that matters is heartbeats. It doesn’t matter how many weeks or days you have left, it’s about living out the life in every heartbeat.”

“Whoa, okay…” Bomi says with a hesitant smile, “I don’t really get what you’re saying, but okay... You didn’t have to give such a sophisticated answer you know?”

Dongwoo sighs dramtically, “Seems like Bomirilla doesn’t have the intelligence of Dinowoo.”

“Hey!” Bomi retorts in laughter, “Gorillas are much smarter, okay? Why do you think dinosaurs went extinct?”

Dongwoo laughs in return, “Okay, okay, you’ll figure out soon enough.”

 

Bomi and Dongwoo go around the hospice, giving out balloons to the kids and flowers to the grown-ups, but most of all, spreading laughter and joy. Dongwoo says it has always been his wish to put smiles onto people’s faces, and Bomi doesn’t know how to tell him but she thinks he’s doing it already, because she would never have been able to smile this much without him.

Bomi smiles with genuine joy every time Dongwoo laughs, and he's laughing a lot today.

“It was a great day!” Dongwoo exclaims with a big smile, even though Bomi’s pretty sure his legs hurt as much as hers from all that walking.

Bomi looks thoughtfully at Dongwoo, who goes on talking about how cute the kids are and how amusing their reactions are when he performed the magic tricks.

Bomi smiles as she nods to his every line which is enunciated with excitement.

She thinks she finally understands what it means to live out the life in every heartbeat.

 

“Wake up, Bomi, wake up, we need to do the operation now.”

Bomi rubs her eyes sleepily and mutters, “What operation?”

“There’s a donor!”

“Really?” Bomi can’t hold in her joy.

Chorong nods at her with a smile, but Bomi notices that it seems to be faltering.

 

Bomi looks around the ward carefully once she awakes, even though her eyes are barely open. She sees that the sheets on Dongwoo’s bed are made up, and creases her brows.

“Chorong unnie!” She calls to Chorong who is busy with some documents.

“Yes, Bomi?” Chorong replies promptly.

“Where’s Dongwoo?”

Chorong bites her bottom lip and doesn’t say a thing.

“Will he be back soon?”

“Bomi…” Chorong looks into Bomi’s eyes, “Dongwoo… he’s the donor.”

Bomi gasps, but she doesn’t say anything.

“His condition worsened drastically in the night… We tried – ”

“It’s okay, you don’t have to comfort me.”

“Bomi-ah.”

“I’ll be okay.”

 

Bomi lies down on her side, looking at the empty bed beside her. Very soon, she will be starting her life once again. (Maybe he would be too, she secretly thinks, in another world.)

“Thank you, Dongwoo.” She whispers into the night, “Crazy crazy Dinowoo. Dinowoo whom I will never forget. Thank you.”

She closes her eyes and remembers their petty squabbles, his mature words which pop up once in a while, his wild eyes, his big grin, and his melodious laughter which never fails to brighten her day.

In the quietness, she hears a peaceful sound again – the gentle thumping of her heartbeats, which now seems to be patting her in comfort.

She smiles with a new determination and strength as she shuts her eyelids gently.

 

From tomorrow onwards, I will live a new life. And in there will be you. Even though you may be in a faraway place now, I know my life will be sprinkled with traces of you. Because my life will never be the same if I haven’t met you. I will live out the life in every heartbeat, and I will smile even through suffering.

I can do it, because Bomirilla is just as strong as Dinowoo.

 

A teardrop rolls down her cheek and she promises herself that this will be the last time she cries from missing him.

 

A/N: Okay I failed at keeping it short OTL >< I hope you guys like it though (:

By the way, do you guys think this is angst? I don't really know what genre it is. It's a little angsty but yet not really... :/

 

Oh, and there's a little side story in the 2nd chapter if you haven't noticed (: