4th Decree - Quests and Assistance

Spending an Eternity in the Medieval Era

 

Once again the princess was back at her desk glaring at the pile of work her father sent her previously. She was almost done with the generous amount of work her father assigned her. All she had left was the last file that was waiting for a report from some important person her father dispatched to somewhere. Honestly once she heard that the file was on hold she didn’t even bother reading it until now.

Her father’s royal adviser personally handed her the report this morning so she could complete this assignment as soon as possible. Nothing could describe her irritation as she opened the dreaded file. Oh how she wanted to take a vacation.

Upon reading the file she realized something.

To: The Royal Family

Fr: The Council of Evian

Sub: Requesting Aid

Your Majesty, it has come to my attention that a great tragedy has befallen the village of Evian. There has been a pandemic that has stuck our people. Our citizens have been strangely falling ill out of nowhere. This strange illness strikes randomly. There is no correlation between victims, and I am afraid that is has escalated to an extent where we are in dire need of your help.

Please assist us. This pandemic is causing our economy to slow due to lack of manpower. We look forward to your reply.

                                Your humble subjects,

                                            The People of Evian

“This is why the sugar exports are arriving late…” whispered Hyorin gravely. Her people are in dire need of her help. As princess she swore that no matter what she was going to get to the bottom of this. She quickly looked at the report her father’s royal advisor handed her this morning in hope of finding some useful information.

To: King Park

Fr: Dr. Han

Sub: Health Report

Your majesty, I have returned from the village of Evian with very little information of the illness plagues the people. Upon your orders I was dispatched to the outskirts of Eterna, to the village of Evian, In hopes of identifying the illness and report it back to you. Sadly the disease at the moment isn’t identifiable. 

But throughout various examinations of the victims, I have concluded the illness is due to a botanical agent of some sort. Thus I have taken various samples of the herbs, and grasses around the area for further experimentation.

I will be sure to forward you the results.

                                                                                                                                Yours truly,

                                                                                                                                                Dr. Han  

Upon reading the medical report paper she has decided she will personally deal with this situation, Princess Hyorin style. She called her maids and asked them to remove her stack of finished paperwork, and pack an assortment of clothes for traveling.

“Your highness.” Called the Head Maid carefully. “May I ask you where you intend on going?”

Hyorin, who was already in the process of wearing her ‘commoner clothes’ smiled gleefully as if she was waiting for someone to ask her that question. “Would you kindly call my Lady Knight and tell her to prepare the carriage? I am going to on a quest.”

-

Meanwhile at the local tavern Sehun, who had to tell someone of his ridiculous new assignment decided that rather than having righteous Yixing gaping at him or a disappointed Joonmyun scolding him, he preferred an annoying Jongin laughing at him.

Jongin who was still recovering from the previous laughing fit asked. “So wait…let me get this straight your father wants you to hook up with the princess?” Sehun nodded and winced as Jongin began to laugh loudly once again.

“Would you keep it down?” Sehun whispered harshly.

“Sorry, I just find it funny how your dad is putting you up to this.” Jongin grinned clearly amused. “Did you tell him about your mystery girl in yellow?”

Sehun shook his head. “How could I? He would have never listened. When he told me I he had a special job for me I thought this was my chance to prove myself. I know there is no way I could ever outmatch Yixing hyung when it comes to researching and writing up reports. He deserves to be a councilman more than I do.”

“Sehun, you can’t compare yourself to Yixing hyung.” Jongin comforted. “You are both different people, besides you don’t see Uncle Oh telling Yixing to woo girls. That would be disastrous.” Jongin and Sehun both shuddered at the thought of Yixing using those cheesy pickup lines. “By the way, when are you seeing this ‘Rin’ girl again?” asked Jongin nonchalantly.

“I don’t know. I haven’t seen her around since the festival.”  Sehun pouted unhappily.

“So wait…you haven’t seen your girl in yellow since? Usually girls are all over you.” Jongin teased “Don’t tell me that the one girl that actually caught your attention isn’t interested or worse doesn’t even know you exist.”

“No.” Denied Sehun almost instantly. “She was in a hurry. I am sure if…” But before Sehun could finish is explanation the door to the tavern opened and a little boy walked in briskly. He took a seat in the far corner of the room and began scrawling on his huge rolls of parchment furiously. Jongin, who noticed the boy almost instantaneously proceed to drag Sehun to said boy in hopes of introducing them.

“Sehun come on. There is a kid I want you to meet.” Chirped Jongin happily.

“Hey! I wasn’t done talking about Rin!” Protested Sehun unhappily.

“You are never done talking about Rin.”

“So?!”

As they duo approached the busy scribe Jongin who couldn’t miss the opportunity to harass the kid, snuck up behind Youngjae and put him in a headlock easily. “Youngjae! How have you been?”

Youngjae who was clearly displeased with being put in a headlock scowled. “Hyung let me go! You are going to make me smear my words!”

“Fine, fine. So whiny.” Teased Jongin. As a response Youngjae blew a raspberry and continued to write as fast as he could. Jongin who was curious as to what Youngjae was writing peered over his shoulder, and to his astonishment he saw rows and rows of flawless calligraphy. “Wow…who knew a kid like you had such nice handwriting, Sehun look.”

Sehun, already displeased with bring cut off mid rant, walked over to where Jongin and his new friend Youngjae sat and quickly glanced over the page Youngjae was writing on. To his surprise the kid had better hand writing that himself. Upon closer inspection he realized the boy was transcribing a copy of The Canterbury Tales.  “Chaucer?” Questioned Sehun.

“Yeah. It is taking forever.” Complained an exasperated Youngjae. Youngjae who decided that he wasn’t going to get any work done with these two breathing down his back turned around and decided that proper introductions are in order. “My name is Jung Youngjae by the way.”

“Oh Sehun.” Responded the nobleman curtly. He was still annoyed at the fact that Jongin ignored his ramble on Rin.

Youngjae sensing his displeasure decided that he should get back to work. He quickly began scribbling on his parchment once again. Jongin also sensing Sehun’s irritation decided that it was best to drag him away. “Well since you are busy, Sehun and I will hang out over there.” He then proceeded to drag Sehun by the head to their former table.

“What is with you!?” Whispered Jongin harshly as they arrived at their old table.

“What?! Look I didn’t mean to come off as rude, okay?” defended Sehun.

Jongin sighed. “Just because you are having an off day with the Princess and the girl of your dreams doesn’t mean you can snap at random people. He is a kid!”

Sehun pouted guiltily decided that Jongin was right and he would apologize to the kid later. “Fine. You are right.”

Unfortunately before he could apologize the door to the tavern swung open once again to reveal a very ecstatic Rin wearing ‘commoner’ traveling clothes. “YAH JUNG YOUNGJAE WHERE ARE YOU HIDING!?”

Sehun who recognized her the moment she walked in sat there gaping. She was beautiful, as always. Jongin on the other hand had no idea who she was until he saw Sehun’s awed jaw drop. “Wait…She is Rin?”

Rin who was undeniably making an entrance, spotted a little scribe boy frantically scribbling as fast as his little hands could manage. Yep. That was definitely Youngjae. After about a moment of deciding how she would drag Youngjae out of the tavern, she decided that she would do it the good old fashion way; by force. “Yah Jung Youngjae did you hear me?”

Youngjae tensed the moment she saw her. The look on her face meant one thing, something was about to happen and knowing the princess it was going to be epic, which also means that Youngjae will most likely not finish his commission in time. To compensate for the soon to be lack of writing time Youngjae decided to write as fast as he could before she drags him out of the tavern.

“Youngjae! How is my favorite dongsaeng? Psst don’t tell Saebaby and Junggiefish.” Exclaimed Rin as she made her way to Youngjae’s table. “Little boy! I know you are not writing while I am speaking to you right?”

Youngjae looked up with a smile on ‘his’ face. “Rin Noona! I didn’t see you there!”

“You little liar.” Pouted Rin. “Anyways I need you help with something. So don’t worry about your little commission thingy I will write you some excuse.”

“B-But!”

“Let’s go! Do you know how many little boys I accosted today? Why do all little boys wear the same hat?” Hyorin swiftly threw all of Youngjae’s papers into his little bag and took the bag as hostage so Youngjae would have to follow her.

“Noona!” whined a frantic Youngjae clutching his many quills.

“Hurry up Youngjae-ah!” chirped Hyorin happily without looking back. She was waving the bag victoriously. With that they exited the tavern in a flourish. Sehun who was previously stunned by Rin’s dramatic entrance and her beauty gawked in disbelief. She didn’t even notice him! Jongin on the other hand was overcome by disbelief for very different reasons.

“YOUNGJAE GOT GAME!” Whistled Jongin much to Sehun’s displeasure, Jongin’s laughing fit didn’t help Sehun’s situation very much. Nope. Not at all.

-

Upon hearing the princess’s message Lady Knight Lee Aejung got a group of knights to assemble the royal carriage because it is not like she is going to do it herself right?

“Aejung aren’t you going to help them?” Inquired Woobin as he was watching five knights failing to secure the princess’s royal luggage to the carriage.

“Nope. I am supervising. This is a training session.” Replied Aejung dead serious. “Only the strongest of knights can lift her suitcases and only the smartest can find a way for ALL of them to fit on the back of the carriage.”

Dongmin who was also ‘supervising’ laughed merrily upon hearing Aejung’s excuse. “She is definitely my student.” Aejung and Dongmin hi-fived each other, this in one of the few moments they agree upon much to Woobin’s displeasure. Woobin sighed, figuring it was two against one he decided that he would let them have their way just this once.

“Fine. Just make sure no one gets injured. Oh by the way who is going to train Byungho when you are gone?” Aejung didn’t really think about that beforehand. Usually she never had a problem just taking off, because she was the princess’s personal bodyguard, but now she is also a mentor. It would have to take some getting used to.

“Sunbae, I was hoping you can teach him while I am gone.” Smiled Aejung.

“Oh no…I have a lot of paperwork to catch up on since the other two head knights never bother to do their fair share.” Woobin eyed both Dongmin and Aejung accusingly. Both of them laughed nervously.

Dongmin raised his hand gleefully and exclaimed. “I WILL DO IT!” Woobin and Aejung bothe eyed him suspiciously.

“Please, sunbae! Do it for me! If not do it for Byungho, imagine what would happen to him if Dongmin taught him for a week.” Begged Aejung desperately.

“Hey! I am a fantastic teacher I have no idea what you are talking about.” Boasted Dongmin proudly. “You turned out fine.”

“SUNBAE PLEASE!”

“Okay, okay. Enough both of you. Dongmin and I can split his training sessions.” Reasoned Woobin. “Deal?”

Dongmin pouted. “Fine.”

“THANK YOU SUNBAE!” Aejung hugged Woobin happily. “YOU ARE THE BEST!

Dongmin looked down right offended. “HEY! WHAT ABOUT ME? HMPH!” Aejung laughed and skipped over to Dongmin and hugged him too.

“You know I was joking Dongmin oppa.” Comforted Aejung cheekily.

“Very funny. This is the only time you call me ‘Oppa’”

“Well if you don’t like it…”

“I NEVER SAID THAT!”

After the carriage was properly loaded thanks to fifteen tired knights. Aejung was tasked with picking up Hyorin’s personal botanist/physician and breaking the news to Byungho.  Figuring Byungho would be the easier of the two since she didn’t have to leave the palace to talk to him she decided to talk to him first. She was dead wrong.

“Aejung noona! Why are you leaving me! Do you not want to teach me anymore? Is it because I didn’t know what a cavalier was? I know now!” Begged Byungho. “TAKE ME WITH YOU!”

“Byungho, it is not that I don’t want to take you, but you are not ready yet.” Comforted Aejung. “Once I feel you are prepared enough then we can go together okay?” Byungho looked as if he was about to cry. To alleviate the situation Aejung decided it was best to take his mind off to her departure.

“Byungho. How about I tell Dongmin oppa you try horseback riding today?” Aejung suggested happily. “Just don’t tell Woobin sunbae yeah?”

Byungho nodded dejectedly. “Okay…Come back soon Aejung noona.” He trudged towards the knight barracks to get his training equipment. As he was leaving the Kwon Twins made their way towards Aejung.

“Hey, can you guys let him try horseback riding?” Asked Aejung. “He looks upset so can you guys take it easy on him today?”

“Sure thing.” Chirped Dongmin happily. “Don’t worry about him too much he will be fine. You need to pick up Saehyun right?”

“Better not be late, you guys are setting out soon.” Reminded Woobin. Aejung nodded and mounted her horse. She quickly sped off towards the town.

 Dongmin who was smiling cheekily the entire time commented. “Awww. Young love.”

“Hardly.” Replied Woobin.

“Come on! He misses her!”Countered Dongmin.

“She didn’t even leave yet.”

“So? Did she ever miss us that much when we left for our assignments?” noted Dongmin. "Last I remember she sent us off without a second thought."

"You mean she sent you off without a second thought." Corrected Woobin. "She on the other hand asked me to come back safely."

"SHE WHAT?!"

-

Over at the Han household Saehyun and her father were tending to their many patients. It was always busy when Dr. Han came back from his usual adventures. At the beginning not many people trusted Saehyun since she was young, never the less female. Though after several years of her father continuing his adventures people have began to trust her more.She was a favorite with the female crowd that is for sure. Now that the Han family was back together business was booming.

“Daddy, where did you want the dried bay leaves?” Called out Saehyun from their stock room.

Dr. Han who was stitching a patient with a gash on his forearm from work replied. “Bring them to me. Oh I also need some painkillers for this gentleman here.”

“Okay daddy.”

As the crowd began to die down Dr. Han decided to take a break and let his daughter handle the rest of the patients. He noticed that she was doing a pretty good job of entertaining the children with her array of multicolored bandages; she also had almost all the elderly patients wishing that she was their granddaughter. Dr. Han smiled knowing that his daughter would soon be a very successful physician, though he felt like he needed to train her more.

In his eyes she was still his little girl. The little girl that he felt he needed to get to know better. Every time he looks at her it hurt him knowing that she was the perfect daughter and he did absolutely nothing to deserve her. Soon she would be getting married to god knows which little boy, and then she would grow further and further from him. It was frightening. Just then there was a knock on the door.

Finding that it was odd for people to knock at a doctor’s office rather than just going in Dr. Han opened the door to find a young knight with the Princess’s personal insignia on her armor. Dr. Han smiled politely. “Hello, how may I help you?”

Aejung smiled and saluted. She carefully unrolled a fancy scroll and read, “Greetings Honorable Dr. Han, I am here to inform you that by royal decree your daughter; Dr. Han Saehyun is to report to the princess as her personal physician/botanist for her visit to Evian this week. Any questions you may have will be answered by the Princess Hyorin personally. We are departing in an hour.”

Dr. Han blinked shock apparent on his face. He knew the village of Evian was where the sleeping epidemic was taking place, and the royal family was dealing with that situation at the moment, but why would they call upon Saehyun? “Um you must be mistaken Saehyun is my daughter. The King of Eterna tasked me with the job of thoroughly testing the plant samples I have acquired at the border. Please tell him I will forward the results to him as soon as possible.”

“Rest assured Dr. Han, the king still awaits your results. Saehyun is being summoned by the princess to join her personally assembled task force to observe the severity of the situation at hand.” Aejung bowed.

“Wait…when was this decreed?”asked Dr. Han skeptically.

“About an hour ago sir.”

“What?!”

Saehyun who just finished tending to the last of the patients bounded towards the door. “Aejungie Chingu! Does Hyorin Unnie need something?” inquired the physician’s daughter happily.

“Pack your bags. We are going on a quest.” Informed Lady Knight Aejung.

“Oooh! Yay! I will be right out!” Saehyun ran up to her room and started to throw random things into her backpack. Notebooks, food, band aids you name it she has it. After she has assembled her bag she bolted out the door, but not without giving her father a kiss and a little heads up.

“Bye daddy! I have to go to Evian for a week! Princess’s orders! I will be back soon. I promise I will help you sort out the dried moss when I get back. LOVE YOU DADDY!” And with that Aejung and Saehyun headed back to the castle on horseback leaving a dumbfounded Dr. Han standing outside of his house.

-

As Aejung and Saehyun made it through the gates of the palace, they were greeted with a very upset little scribe boy and a very happy princess waiting for them.

“…Did we miss something?” Asked Aejung as she was dismounting her horse. Saehyun who was trying to balance with her humongous backpack also looked at the pair curiously.

“I was taken against my will by a noona that stole my bag.” Declared Hyunjae. “It was brutal.”

“Hey trying to find you in the mass of little boys all wearing the same hat was brutal.” Cried the Princess defensively. “Is that hat popular nowadays?”

“More like there is only one person that makes hats for little boys.”

“TERRIBLE!”

“Wait so when are we leaving?” inquired Saehyun already tired of carrying her backpack.

“Right now!” announced the Princess. “Pack up everyone! The Eterna’s Princess’s Task Force is setting out to Evian now!”

“Isn’t that a bit of a mouthful?” complained Hyunjae. “I don’t want to write that on all of report forms.”

“Well do you have a better idea?” Asked the princess as she was pouting.

Aejung who just finished adding Saehyun’s monstrosity of a bag to the already humongous pile of luggage on the carriage casually suggested, “How about Eternity?”

“Ooooh! It is short, concise, and at the same time patriotic. I like it!” Declared the Princess. “From here on out we will be known as Eternity! NOW LET’S RIDE INTO THE SUNSET PEOPLE!”

“…Hyorin Unnie it is noon.” Saehyun pointed out.

“I KNEW THAT!”

-------------------

And with that girls set out for the far off village of Evian…Never to be found again.

I am just joking, or am I? XD

On a side note I forgot to add Youngjae’s age in the lineup thing last chapter. SORRY BABY!

Youngjae is 14

MANY THANKS FOR THE POSTERS AEJUNGIE AND HYORIN UNNIE~ I LOVE YOU