Broken Promise

Broken Promise

I tried everything she could to trigger Seung Hyun's memories….

 

I tried but he just doesn’t seem to remember our promise…

 

I try to make it obvious…but he doesn’t remember…. even though we are married, he doesn't seem to remember that moment at the starry night festival that was held every year. We were both 6 years old when we first met. 
Oh how I want him to remember that moment,

*Flashback*

"Your at my spot..." I said to the little boy sitting on the log with he's rilakkuma plushie,
"Oh sorry, I didn't know you own this spot." he said as he got off.
I turned around and started to walk back, as I was botherd by he's presence.
"Hey wait... can we... um..." I could hear the nervousness in he's voice. "Can we... um... look at the stars together?"
I took another step foward but he yelled out, "I'll give you candy! I just want... to watch the stars with someone." he said. 
I turned around and saw him looking at the ground. 

I began to walk forward and climebed onto the log. He didn't seem to notice me move.
"Aren't you gonna watch?"
He looked surprised and quickly sat next to me.


We both looked at the night sky, the stars were shinning it's lights out like there was no tomorrow,
"They look so pretty," he said as he stared at them with amusement. He then looked at me, "You don't speak much do you?"
I continued to look at the sky, ignoring he's comments. 

"I'm Choi Seung Hyun by the way," he said smiling, I nodded and continued to look at the sky.

"You could at least say your name too," he pouted and looked away,

We continued looking at the sky, then a shooting star appeared out of no where. "A SHOOTING STAR! Hurry and make a wish before hit goes away," he said as he closed he's eyes tightly. "Wish?" I whispered, "Haven't you made a wish before?" he asked, I shook my head.

"Wishes never really come true," I said, we both went quiet. I could hear a faint voice in the background calling someone.

"SEUNG HYUN!"

"Coming mommy! Sorry I have to go now," he said looking a bit disappointed, I was a bit sad, it was fun being with him I guess...

Then I saw a rilakkuma plushie in fron tof my face. "Umm would you like to keep this plushie? I mean I have lots at home," he said. "Are you really giving a stranger a plushie?" I said, he then smiled. "Hehe silly, you're not a stranger! You're my friend aren't you?" He took my hand and handed me the plushie.

".....Choi Soo Young," I whispered,

"Hm?"

"My name is.... Choi Soo Young..."

"Choi? DOES THAT MEAN YOUR MY COUSIN!?" he yelled. I sighed, "If we were cousins, you'd probably know me already, and besides, there's probably a lot of people with that last name,"

"Soo Young... that's a pretty name," he said.

"SEUNG HYUN!" the voice called out again,

"Sorry I have to go,"

"Will we see each other again?" I asked.

"Haha yep! I promise we'll see each other!"

"How?"

"Next year for the Starry Night Festival! Or from the moon!"

I gave him a confused look, "The moon?" 

He smiled, "YEAH! The moon is big and bright right? Like the rabbit's tummy!"

"Rabbit?"

"Look at the moon and stars closely and you'll find it!" He said as he ran off, then he looked back, "I PROMISE WE'LL MEET AT THE SAME SPOT!" he yelled before running towards he's mother.


*End Of Flashback*

I could never forget that moment, I was shy back then but because of him, I started to accept people and started to make wishes like what he did.

I waited for him the next year, but he didn't show up. When the shooting star came, I wished for him to show up...
I guess I was right about them wishes, I knew they never come true.
I waited for him to show up the other years but again, he didn't show up.

I still have the plushie with me, it's been 56 years since i had that. I kept it for him, but he doesn't remember me when we little kids. Even though we are married with sadly no children of our own, I wanted him to remember that promise he broke. I want him to remember when we first officially met.

I guess…… I failed to make him remember as I am weak of old age.

I can no longer get off this bed

 

Seung Hyun held my hand tightly not wanting to let go

 

“please not yet” he said “don’t leave me yet”

I gently smiled at him and placed my weak hand against his cheek

 

He placed his hand against the top of mine.

 

“please not yet” he begged as tears started to fall

 

 

I caressed his cheek and my final words to him were

 

“... the moon"

 

I exhaled my last breath

 

And closed my eyes as I was taken to another place...

 

 

That night at the festival, the promise we made to each other when we were young…

 

My one and only wish was to make you remember the promise we made…..

 

I tried everything to make you remember that promise you made,

I guess.... you really did forget....