4 - Beginning

Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

One week later…

Yoona’s POV

I stood outside Miss Lee’s office. The bell had already rung which signalled the beginning of Lunch but Miss Lee had not come by yet. I took a bored glance at the clock that sat in the hallway. She should be coming soon.

I wasn’t sure why I was called to Miss Lee’s office. I was pretty sure that I was a good student and hadn’t gotten into trouble. Whatever it was for, I was sure that it had nothing to do with my misbehaving, if there was any. It was about something else; I just didn’t know what.

“Yoona,” a voice distracted me from my thoughts. I looked up to see Miss Lee there, waiting for me with the door open to her office. “Come on in.” I bowed my head a little before following behind her and entering her office.

I placed my bag onto my lap as I made myself comfortable in the seat opposite Miss Lee. When Miss Lee saw that I was satisfied with how I was sitting she started talking about why I was here. “Yoona, you are not here because you are in trouble,” I figured that out when I was in the hallway. I was tempted to roll my eyes but didn’t out of respect. “But for an entirely different reason,” she finished.

I sat up a little straighter, wondering why Miss Lee would have called me. She clasped her hands together in a professional way before starting to explain. “As you know, you are one of the smartest students attending business course at the moment.” It didn’t comprehend with my brain. Where was this leading to?

She sighed, “There is a particular student who is also studying the same course as you are, and is,” she paused for a moment, unsure of how to phrase her next words, “a little behind on his studies.” I still didn’t know why I was here. If there was someone falling behind on their studies, it had absolutely nothing to do with me. It didn’t make sense. Unless…

“You want me to tutor him?”

A smile broke out on her face, “Well, ideally yes. It’s good that you figured it out on your own. I mean, I know this college has a policy that if you fail in your course then you take it upon yourself to get your grades back up, but this particular student is an exception.”

“Why?”

“Because he’s been to more than one college and hasn’t completed any course yet. His dad gave the principal specific instructions to make sure that he doesn’t drop out of this one or fail in it.” She stopped for a moment before tilting her head to the side to study me more carefully, “Will you do it?”

I wasn’t entirely sure. It was just tutoring; it wasn’t like it was a hard task. Besides it was good to help others out, it was the right thing to do. But that meant more commitments, which equalled to more stress and less time. My parents were sure to complain. They would tell me not to take it up because tutoring meant less time to study which meant poor grades. But then again, my parents weren’t here. They couldn’t say anything about this, not when they didn’t know. They couldn’t control my life as to what I could or could not do, as long as they were unaware of the choices that I could make with my life. As long as they didn’t know then everything would be fine. Still, tutoring a guy didn’t seem like the right thing because I felt guilty towards Nichkhun. I might end up spending more time with him than with Nichkhun. But then again, he could be a fast learner, “I s-suppose.”

“That’s good, then.” She started to sort through the papers that lay on her desk, “He should be coming any moment now.”

At first, I resigned to waiting patiently but after a while, it became increasingly boring. I started to play with my bag as I ped it before zipping it back up again. After playing with my zip a few times and Miss Lee sending me a stern look to let me know that the noise I was making was distracting her from her work, I got bored and tried to get some sleep. I got no sleep last night. As I was about to doze off I was awoken by the rumble of my stomach. Of course, I thought bitterly, it was Lunch. I was hungry.

I was starting to get a little angry. I was bored, waiting for the guy to come. I had waited for him for at least 10 minutes and he still hadn’t showed up. I was getting hungrier by the minute and I could feel my stomach rumbling along as well. This guy, whoever he was, better not be at the cafeteria, eating. I was getting more pissed off as the minutes passed and the hands of the clock ticked. That was, until the door opened.

~

Taecyeon’s POV

Cautiously I opened the door to Miss Lee’s office. As soon as class ended, me and Junho, my best buddy, had gone to the cafeteria and ate and played with some of the chicks that dared to approach us. Most of them hid in the bush behind us, thinking that we were oblivious to their presence. It was only until Junho mentioned it that I remembered I had a meeting with Miss Lee.  I hoped that she wasn’t going to come down on me for being late, she was said to be extremely harsh.

I tried to make as little noise as possible but as soon as I entered, Miss Lee and the other female student turned their heads towards me. The chick looked familiar, maybe I had passed her like other nameless girls in one of these hallways, but I didn’t recognise her.

I sat down, ignoring the glare of the two ladies. The girl beside me was glaring at me harder than Miss Lee. Maybe she was frustrated because I took so long and she was running out of patience to wait here in peace for me to arrive. I shifted uncomfortably under the weight of their stares.

The girl beside me opened , “Don’t tell me I’m tutoring him.” She said, dreading the answer but it seemed that she already knew what the answer was. I was getting tutored? I never knew that this college got other people to tutor students who were failing. Besides, I wasn’t failing. I just didn’t pay attention to the lecturers because they were boring to listen to.

Miss Lee sighed, obviously stressed and didn’t want another problem on her hands that she had to deal with. “But you’ve already agreed, Yoona.”

Yoona? Was that her name? I heard her splutter, trying to find her way out of tutoring me but couldn’t because she had already agreed. I looked at her more closely. Her name sounded familiar and she looked familiar. Where had I seen her before?

“Ok Taecyeon isn’t irresistible nor is he devastatingly handsome,” I heard it loud and clear through my ears.

That’s right. The girl that told me that I wasn’t attractive and told me she hated me. It was on the first day. She was going to be- No! I could not let that happen! I hated it when people got on my nerves and she was one of those people who had a talent for doing so, just like my dad. No way was I going to spending more time in her company. That was not ing happening.

I heard Yoona say, “But that was before I knew who I was actually tutoring.” She said, protesting to get a way out of this unwanted arrangement. “Now that I know who it is, I’m not going to tutor him and help him get on the road to graduation!”

I was the one being tutored here. I was going to have my own input in here. “For once, I agree with her. I’m not getting tutored! And if you really insist that I must then, I’m not going to get ing tutored by her!” Both of them gasped in shock. Miss Lee composed herself immediately while Yoona stared at me in utter shock. What? Never heard someone swear before?

“Taecyeon,” Miss Lee began as she sent me a stern look, “watch your language. This isn’t a police station; it’s a college. Even though there are no laws that stop us from cursing, there are rules in this college that forbid us to do so.” She changed her gaze so that it wasn’t so directed towards me. “I only asked the two of you to here because I had to tell you of this arrangement, whether you like it or not. But other than that the principal has decided that both of you have no say in this whatsoever. It has already been decided and arranged for you to do this and the principal said that there will be no reconsidering. You may use the library after hours or use one of your rooms.”

Yoona opened to ask something but it never came out because Miss Lee interrupted her before she started talking. It was like Miss Lee had physic powers and knew what she was going to say. “There is no set time that you have to tutor him for. It’s only until his marks get back on track.”

I was unsure of what happened next. Reality sunk in as I struggled to wrap my head around the concept that the was going to be teaching me whatever crap the course that my dad had chosen for me, taught. Whatever happened was a blur. The next thing I knew I was outside the door of Miss Lee’s office, shoved out by her along with Yoona, and then Miss Lee slammed the door in our faces.

I glared at Yoona. “Why did you agree?” I was annoyed and irritated. She was there. Perfect. I could take all my frustrations out on her. “Now because of you, I have to ing spend more time with you.” Then I added in a low voice but audible enough so that she could hear, “As if it’s already bad enough.”

She took her gaze off the door, clearly annoyed at what she had heard. She wore an offended look that I felt great satisfaction towards, knowing that I was the one that put it there. “I didn’t know it was you until you walked in.” Irritation seeped into her tone. Clearly, she was also unhappy about this. It was good to know that the feeling was mutual.

She stepped to the side a little. “Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to the cafeteria and having some lunch. Something I didn’t get when a certain someone decided to forget and come late,” then she added something else to emphasise her irritation, ”and I had to wait for him to arrive.” She walked off with her eyes glaring at me before looking straight down the hallway.

Instead of feeling offended, I smirked. It gave me great satisfaction to know that I had annoyed her and made her lose her patience, her anger rise and her hunger to definitely explode. It gave me a great feeling to know that I had gotten to her.