3 - Fallen

Rules Are Meant To Be Broken

Nichkhun's POV

The bell rung. I shoved all my books closed as quickly as I could before I made my way out. All my groupies followed me with the same hurried pace. I had gotten out when the professor was saying something about homework due next class. Even though I didn’t catch the professor say what homework was due, I knew that I was going to be fine without doing it. After all, my father did own a quarter of the university.

Out in the hallway I found a familiar figure running towards me with his arms flailing. Chansung ran up to me, yelling “Hyung!” at the top of his lungs. I inwardly groaned. This guy seriously did not how to be embarrassed. He always embarrassed me and this wouldn’t be the first time either. Whenever it did happen, I always found myself wondering why on Earth did I befriend him and let him near me. Then the answer hit me. The guy was a giant, one of the tallest guys in the university. He had height and strength and could beat anyone into a pulp - exactly why I kept him around. He was my bodyguard. Not saying that I couldn’t protect myself but I preferred to stay out of that type of business whenever I could.

Chansung told me that he had scored a B- on his exam and he looked like he was over the moon. I had the urge to roll my eyes at him but decided against it. Despite him being intimidating whenever he wanted to be, he had one problem. He was fragile on the inside and he was easily offended as I found out. Once he did become offended, he got angry and you don’t want to put yourself in that position.

As he explained how he thought he was going to fail the exam, I looked around the hallway for a distraction. He wasn’t the brightest kid out there and therefore, not the best conversation material. Thankfully I didn’t have to wait long before I heard one of the guys interrupt him and saying, “Bro, she’s there.”

There were a bunch of freshman girls giggling behind me as I nodded to the guy, not entirely sure what his name was, and pushed my way through the crowd. I was the captain of the football team so the guys stuck to me like mice to cheese and girls followed me as if I was their superhero. But for some reason today, I found that the girls’ eyeballing had lessened and instead, their gossiping increased. But that didn’t bother me right now as I pushed the thought to the back of my head.

I pushed my way through the crowd to get to my girlfriend, "Hey babe." I greeted Yoona, enveloping her in a tight hug. She pulled away, grimacing before turning back and talking to her friend. I think her name was Yuri or something. I knew she hated my pet name for her, as she had already told me thousands of times before,  but I was hoping she would eventually warm up to it. I guess not.

I wasn’t sure what she was talking about but she was going off about some guy and how rude he was. I almost laughed, secretly amused at her ranting. She was saying how that guy was driving her nuts and something along the lines of “Who does he think he is?” I frowned. Yoona only ever talked like that about girls, not guys. Whoever it was must have really gotten under her skin.

“Who is this?” I asked, utterly confused as to who it was that could upset Yoona so much. She huffed a little as her friend answered for her.

"It's the new guy. He's quite hot and has plenty of admirers already,"  Yuri answered for me. No wonder all the girls hadn’t been eyeballing too much, there was a new guy who had stolen all their attentions.

After talking she led me to her locker, leaving her friend in an annoyed mood. I had no idea what had been said but something must have really ticked Yuri off. I gave her a small wave hoping that it would make her day feel better but she just stared at me blankly. I guess that didn't work. As me and Yoona walked through the halls, an uncomfortable silence settled in. It wasn’t the most ideal relationship but we were comfortable with it. I was satisfied. She was satisfied. Everyone was satisfied and that was how the popularity mill rolled.

~

Yuri's POV

He was gorgeous, the epitome of perfection carved into a man if that was even possible. His brown hair was slightly matted with sweat. His bright brown eyes were twinkling with amusement. His lips were pulled into an amused smile. Wearing just a plain white t-shirt and dark jeans, I could see his muscles bulge as he moved. I couldn’t stop myself from staring at him.

Beside me, Yoona was going on about something. Something about the new guy but I didn't catch much of what she was saying. It's not that I wasn't a good friend, it's just that something, or rather someone, had my full attention. My attention was focused on the guy in front of her with that adorable look on his face. I mentally slapped myself, I couldn’t think about him that way. It wasn’t right especially when his girlfriend was right in front of me, who also just so happened to be my best friend. 

The guy who was in my dreams last night and the guy who I was looking at, was also my best friend's boyfriend, NIchkhun. Fate was harsh when it wanted to be.

I cautiously wiped my mouth just in case I was drooling at what I was seeing. It was always better to be safe than sorry. Slowly and honestly quite reluctantly, I turned my attention back to Yoona. "I just can't stand him. No one has annoyed me as much as he did, and it's his first day of school!" Yoona exclaimed, throwing her hands up in frustration. In all my years that I've known her, this is probably the first time she had gotten so worked up over someone. I didn't really see the big deal.

"He doesn't seem so bad. A little big headed but that's to be expected; he has like a hundred admirers, that's bound to boost anyone's ego," I reasoned, chuckling a little at her dissatisfaction. “Besides why are you getting so annoyed with him?” I asked suspiciously, a smirk almost forming on my lips.

She grew a little bit uncomfortable with my question which made me think whether or not she liked her boyfriend. “He just ticks me off that’s all, nothing to be suspicious about.” She said it such a tone which meant that the subject was closed and done and we were not discussing it any further. Clutching her books tighter, she moved on to a happier topic. Well, a happier topic for her. "Anyways, guess whose got a date tonight?" she smirked, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

I felt a pang in my chest but brushed it off. "You?" I , poking her cheek. Please don’t tell me that it was what I expected.

"Nope, someone whose name starts with a Y and also means glass," she replied in a sing-song voice, a mischievous glint in her eyes.

Oh no. "No," I glared at her. Yoona always had a habit of setting me up with guys, something that I found really annoying. I hated it so much whenever she did it. No matter how times I told her to let me deal with my own love life, she never really got the message loud and clear. I knew she was concerned, seeing as my love life was close to non-existent whereas she had a boyfriend and was in a stable relationship. But that still didn't mean that she could control it and hope that I was totally going to be blown away by one of these guys. It never happened. I never kept in contact with any of those guys who had proved out to be imperfect, but that was mainly because I spent the date comparing them to Nichkhun who was perfect. I mean, none of them and me had come to the mutual agreement to become friends. None of them were compatible with me, which was exactly why I hated going on these dates.

"Please." she pouted, her eyes going wide and innocent.

"The last guy you set me up with spent the whole time telling me about his zits and his pet turtle Joe," I raised my eyebrows at her. That was one of the worst nights of my life. I did not want a repeat performance which had a tendency to happen whenever Yoona decided to set me up.

"That was a slight malfunction," she protested. "Anyway, this time, it's someone that isn't socially awkward and actually knows what to talk about on a date. You never know. He might be the One." she continued, giving me her famous puppy dog look. I gave her an unsure look which made her sigh, “Don’t tell me that because you have dreams about a guy is stopping you from going on a harmless date.” If only she knew who it was.

I resisted but she was right. I couldn’t let a guy who I knew was out of my reach stop me, even though he didn’t actually know. "Fine," I groaned out, already regretting my decision. Yoona squealed and gave me a quick hug.

"Thank you," she gushed, "I gotta go.  I’ll text you the details. See ya," she walked away, tugging Nichkhun along with her.

He gave me a small wave before following his girlfriend. The small wave set my heart jumping twice its usual speed as I found my cheeks reddening. I need to get over my best friend’s boyfriend - fast. I sighed and ran my hand through my hair. Just the thought of the date caused my stomach to drop. I just hoped that it wasn’t going to be as bad as last time.